Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Music from Steve & Virgil Howe

Another good thread pissed all over by keyboard warriors and their juvenile ranting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ I'm sorry about that. You got it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm tempted to pick up the CD based on the feedback in the thread.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Jon Neudorf
    It is very good. Review to come soon on SoT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    It is neither pointless nor irresponsible to speculate. We are all human, and what affects one of us affects all of us. How people live and die does matter, as there are always lessons for us in it.
    Per Steve Howe in a March Guitar Player interview, it was a heart attack.
    https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...-project-nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    F-ing hell. It's bad enough that Mr. Reaper is taking people like Bowie and Squire when they're not exactly ancient, but taking a 41-year old with a heart attack. That's just cruel.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    F-ing hell. It's bad enough that Mr. Reaper is taking people like Bowie and Squire when they're not exactly ancient, but taking a 41-year old with a heart attack. That's just cruel.
    Yes, indeed.

Heart attack at 41?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Really none of our business, but thanks for that, so much more in the article, of course, than about Virgil. That probably doesn't sound right either.

My heart as never ached more when my good friends' son passed due to a brain tumor. He was the only person not my own in this entire world I would have been proud to call son. Great, great kid. I can't even imagine what I would do if I lost my oh so wonderful daughter. Sadly this thing called death is inevitable, and usually without notice. Enjoy everyday, give love everyday.

I would recommend Nexus if you haven't pickex it up yet. There's a couple of spots in a couple of songs that tear me up both good and bad.

Thanks for the link, ideally it should be none of our business how poor Virgil died but at least it puts to bed the speculation.
    RIP Virgil and thanks for the music.

Thank you for posting the interview. It's always interesting to hear how a project came about, and this one of course took on more poignancy than usual. It's very sad, however, to read how Steve had hopes that this would be a continuing collaboration.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thank you for posting the interview. It's always interesting to hear how a project came about, and this one of course took on more poignancy than usual. It's very sad, however, to read how Steve had hopes that this would be a continuing collaboration.
    Steve has talked of doing a second album using material Virgil had sent him.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    That would be nice to hear, sometime. I can't imagine the sorrow Steve must have. Hopefully that will be a therapeutic task and not a gut-wrenching chore (though I'm sure it will be a little of both).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A follow up album is being released.

‘Lunar Mist’ – the second collaboration with his late son Virgil Howe who tragically passed away in 2017. Continuing his journey that is fueled by the love and energies he draws from his wife Jan and their family, a passion for the guitar, and of course, the never-ending drive to create and perform music, ‘Lunar Mist’ will be launched on the 23rd September 2022.

Crafted using Virgil’s unreleased material that had a connection in spirit to their debut collaboration ‘Nexus’, Steve compiled everything together in January 2021 to start work. Stemming from an unreleased bonus track, titled ‘Lunar Mist’, from their debut album, Steve worked at expanding on Virgil’s musical ideas. As Steve explains: “I started by writing chord charts for all the other tunes, before adding guitars and bass guitars to embellish them and bring them to completion. In the most part I kept them as he’d written them but sometimes I expanded them with further ideas and improvisation.”

The result is an album that is unique in both musicians body of work. “Virgil shows some different musical characteristics here that were such a joy to play on. There’s more of his great drumming and a broader inventiveness in his compositions” says Steve.
    The album will be available on Limited CD Digipak, 180g Black LP + CD & Digitally, all adorned with a front cover painting by Virgil’s daughter Zuni.

1. Lunar Mist 03:52
    2. More Than You Know 03:05
    3. Plexus 04:09
    4. Mariah’s Theme 03:16
    5. A Month In The Sun 04:39
    6. As If Between 02:43
    7. Never Less 02:55
    8. Lothian’s Way 03:06
    9. Free Spirit 02:45
    10. Eternal 03:09
    11. Dirama 02:38
    12. Pinnacle 02:02
    13. Pagoda 02:19
    14. Martian Mood 03:59

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A follow up album is being released.

‘Lunar Mist’ – the second collaboration with his late son Virgil Howe who tragically passed away in 2017. Continuing his journey that is fueled by the love and energies he draws from his wife Jan and their family, a passion for the guitar, and of course, the never-ending drive to create and perform music, ‘Lunar Mist’ will be launched on the 23rd September 2022.

Crafted using Virgil’s unreleased material that had a connection in spirit to their debut collaboration ‘Nexus’, Steve compiled everything together in January 2021 to start work. Stemming from an unreleased bonus track, titled ‘Lunar Mist’, from their debut album, Steve worked at expanding on Virgil’s musical ideas. As Steve explains: “I started by writing chord charts for all the other tunes, before adding guitars and bass guitars to embellish them and bring them to completion. In the most part I kept them as he’d written them but sometimes I expanded them with further ideas and improvisation.”

The result is an album that is unique in both musicians body of work. “Virgil shows some different musical characteristics here that were such a joy to play on. There’s more of his great drumming and a broader inventiveness in his compositions” says Steve.
    The album will be available on Limited CD Digipak, 180g Black LP + CD & Digitally, all adorned with a front cover painting by Virgil’s daughter Zuni.

1. Lunar Mist 03:52
    2. More Than You Know 03:05
    3. Plexus 04:09
    4. Mariah’s Theme 03:16
    5. A Month In The Sun 04:39
    6. As If Between 02:43
    7. Never Less 02:55
    8. Lothian’s Way 03:06
    9. Free Spirit 02:45
    10. Eternal 03:09
    11. Dirama 02:38
    12. Pinnacle 02:02
    13. Pagoda 02:19
    14. Martian Mood 03:59
    Thanks for posting. That’s really an interesting track.

I agree that this is an interesting track. I'm curious to listen to the entire album now. Still so much sadness at Virgil's early passing. So young. One of my friend's from high school died in his sleep at age 41. No previous health issues, at least that he knew of. I wonder if Virgil also died from an aneurysm. I'm glad there is more new music coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I agree that this is an interesting track. I'm curious to listen to the entire album now. Still so much sadness at Virgil's early passing. So young. One of my friend's from high school died in his sleep at age 41. No previous health issues, at least that he knew of. I wonder if Virgil also died from an aneurysm. I'm glad there is more new music coming.
    I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. That's way too young. So tragic...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. That's way too young. So tragic...
    Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to comment. It's still shocking, even a few years removed.

I enjoyed Nexus and will definitely be ordering this new release. It was so tragic to lose Virgil so young, I don’t think an explanation was ever forthcoming, and the family has every right to withhold if they do want to share.

I never explored any of Virgil’s other projects, but was recently watching The The’s Comeback Special and the new guitar player was Barrie from his band Little Barrie. He was excellent and I’m planning to listen further.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I enjoyed Nexus and will definitely be ordering this new release. It was so tragic to lose Virgil so young, I don’t think an explanation was ever forthcoming, and the family has every right to withhold if they do want to share.

I never explored any of Virgil’s other projects, but was recently watching The The’s Comeback Special and the new guitar player was Barrie from his band Little Barrie. He was excellent and I’m planning to listen further.
    Virgil did a lot of rock-y work, like Little Barrie and earlier projects. For something more like Nexus, you can check his work with The Amorphous Androgynous.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I seem to recall that Virgil died by suicide? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to be creating nor spreading nasty rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I seem to recall that Virgil died by suicide? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to be creating nor spreading nasty rumors.
    Heart attack in his early 40s. Very unexpected and shocking for the family.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Heart attack in his early 40s. Very unexpected and shocking for the family.
    Thanks.

Heartbreaking, either way.

Virgil did a lot of rock-y work, like Little Barrie and earlier projects. For something more like Nexus, you can check his work with The Amorphous Androgynous.
    I love Amorphous Androgynous and have a bunch of their albums, but wasn’t aware Virgil had played a part.

My husband died at 40 two years ago years nearly, and my older brother died at 48 almost a year ago this friday
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.