Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 season NBA discussion thread

I never bother with the all-star game (or any all-star games in any sport). It's just an exhibition game. I'm more interested in watching the Hurricanes game. Miami's not a basketball town, but right now this is as good as it gets.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Basketball - Ayn Rand & Neil Peart's favorite sport (Imemine (Im-meh-me-ney) from The Congo is their favorite player.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Man that fucking All-star game was brutal

They were trying to make it as painful as the Superbowl with the extra entertainment bullshit and they just about succeeded

Fail

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

RIP Jerry Buss
    Arguably the greatest owner in the history of the sport. Any sport?
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-magic-johnson
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Sad news indeed

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Pretty close. That 80's decade for the Lakers was amazing. Maybe the only thing greater in LA was Wooden's 10 titles in 12 years at UCLA. The Lakers franchise, by last count, has been in half of the NBA finals all time. That number is unprecedented in any sport. Buss certainly knew which people to put around him and what players he wanted. From Magic, to James Worthy as first round picks (getting the first round picks was also a coup) putting people around them like Byron Scott, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambis, Jamall Wilkes. Of course he already had, in my opinion, the greatest ever in Kareem Abdul Jabaar and then finding the right coach in Pat Riley who was the color commentator with Chick Hearn in 1980 that team has so many memories for me. Jerry West was possibly the greats GM in the history of the game finding all of these guys but more so finding role players like Mychall Thomson and Bob Mcadoo that helped win championships.

I don't think the Lakers are going to be right for quite a while after Jerry. RIP Dr4Buss.

Boy, the Lakers must have more championships than any other NBA team. So they're having a really f'd up year but you'd think it's the end of the world in LA. Right now the Clippers are the darlings of LA. Good for them. After being unwanted, red-headed, step-children for decades I'm glad to see they're doing okay. They ain't winning a championship for a while but at least they're on the right track. We'll see how far they can take it. As far as the Lakers and all their woes? Jesus, Kobe has 5 rings. What more does he want? Kobe is one of the greatest players ever. He's past his prime though. Right now Lebron is king of the hill. He is the best NOW, not of all time. And now all the trash talking starts. Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Jesus, Kobe has 5 rings. What more does he want?
    Jordan has 6.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jordan has 6.
    Of course. So Kobe's got two more championships to win to best MJ. It don't see it happening. I could see Kobe possibly leaving LA and going somewhere where he's got a chance at one more ring. He might have one more in him. I think that's what he wants to do, tie MJ and call it a career.

That's exactly what he wants to do.

Unfortunately for Kobe, he'll never match MJ's 6 MVPs.

Well, like I said earlier, until someone proves otherwise, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever. You really can't compare the Jordan era to Wilt Champerlain or Oscar Robertson's era, but it could be argued that Wilt, Oscar, and a bunch of other players from the 50s, 60s, and 70s were as good as, or better than MJ.

Lots of discussion on the radio last week that LeBron is going to make MJ look like an amateur before his career is over.

Don't know that I agree, but then again I can't stand LeBron, so I'm biased.

Don't know that I agree, but then again I can't stand LeBron, so I'm biased.
    I don't agree. Lebron's got a LONG way to go before he (or fans) can say he was better than Michael. Well, despite all the hate, the kid (Lebron) is the best in the world right now. I didn't believe it last year, or the year before, but this year he's on a mission. Again, I understand the dislike all over the country for the guy, but he's not a criminal. He's not a thug. He doesn't beat women up, he's never had a DUI. He's not a bad man. Give him some slack.

And now the real trash-talking starts !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jordan has 6.
    So does Kareem.

Yeah, but Kareem is rarely mentioned as "best player ever," which is what Kobe and LeBron are chasing.

Well, like I said earlier, until someone proves otherwise, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever. You really can't compare the Jordan era to Wilt Champerlain or Oscar Robertson's era, but it could be argued that Wilt, Oscar, and a bunch of other players from the 50s, 60s, and 70s were as good as, or better than MJ.

There is no way to prove he is or isn't. That is just hype in my opinion. Certainly he is one of the all time greatest with the ones you mention and others. You can have a favorite player. In my opinion that is Kareem but is the best all time? Hard to say. basketball seems to be the one team sport obsessed with this best ever player thing.
    Last edited by Garion81; 02-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Boy, the Lakers must have more championships than any other NBA team. So they're having a really f'd up year but you'd think it's the end of the world in LA. Right now the Clippers are the darlings of LA. Good for them. After being unwanted, red-headed, step-children for decades I'm glad to see they're doing okay. They ain't winning a championship for a while but at least they're on the right track. We'll see how far they can take it. As far as the Lakers and all their woes? Jesus, Kobe has 5 rings. What more does he want? Kobe is one of the greatest players ever. He's past his prime though. Right now Lebron is king of the hill. He is the best NOW, not of all time. And now all the trash talking starts. Bring it!
    They are one behind but what it proves, Vic is they are in it more often in every decade since the league started. Even the team that has the most can't come close. In fact in Jerry Buss's ownership they only missed the playoffs twice in 20 years. As for the Clips I say good for them but Donald Sterling cares not if they win or not so this won't last unfortunately. If he cared about them he would have had them play in Orange County at the Honda Cents (where the Ducks play) where they could have had their own identity and they would't be looking up at all those retired numbers and companionship banners that aren't thiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    So does Kareem.
    Wasn't Kareem's first championship with Milwaukee? Bill Russell had 8 with the Celtics IIRC. What Michael accomplished was pretty phenomenal considering how the game had changed. Factor in that he missed two years in between that long run (his father being murdered, then that whole baseball thing). Dynasties in the NBA are rare now. Yeah, you'll see some teams win several championships within 5-6 years but you don't see teams winning 3-4 in a row anymore.

basketball seems to be the one team sport obsessed with this best ever player thing.
    True. I don't pay any attention to personal stats. I don't watch the slam dunk contests or the all-star games. I've honestly never understood what was so exciting about watching a player do some trick play (uncontested) just for an exhibition. I think it's demonstrations like that, that leaves a sour taste in people's mouths about basketball (or the NBA mainly). The thing about basketball is that it's probably the easiest sport for a poor, inner city kid to get into. All you need is a ball and a hoop, and a couple other guys and you can play one-on-one or 2-on-2. So yeah, there's a lot of bravado and chst beating over personal accomplishments. I really don't care about that stuff. I couldn't care less about Lebron's stats (although statistically he is, at this moment considered one of the greatest players ever). What's important to a player like Lebron is to win championships. There's a lot of ball left to play in the rugular season, and when the playoffs start it's like a marathon of 7 game series. Nothing's gauranteed.

Bill Russell had 8 with the Celtics IIRC.
    11...in a 13-year career. And he lost in the Finals one other year. Admittedly, most of those were in an 8 or 9 team league but still...

I don't watch the slam dunk contests or the all-star games. I've honestly never understood what was so exciting about watching a player do some trick play (uncontested) just for an exhibition. I think it's demonstrations like that, that leaves a sour taste in people's mouths about basketball (or the NBA mainly).
    ...most of the people watch NBA for the dunks and trick plays...

There's a lot of ball left to play in the rugular season, and when the playoffs start it's like a marathon of 7 game series. Nothing's gauranteed.
    I don't know if I agree with this statement. The NBA seems to have the most instances of the team that's expected to win the whole thing actually winning. You rarely get that #6 seed going far in the playoffs, etc. Where, in football, did anyone actually expect the Ravens to win this year, or the Giants last year? Did anyone expect the SF Giants to win the World Series, etc.?

I don't know if I agree with this statement. The NBA seems to have the most instances of the team that's expected to win the whole thing actually winning.
    I'm not sure I agree with you either on this. Anything can happen. If a key player gets hurt and he's out for weeks then everything changes. Yeah, okay the Heat will probably be in the Finals again this year (ho hum ) but I'm not crowning them champs yet. They still have to play the regular season, and then they have to go through 3 layers of playoffs (3, 7 games series BEFORE the finals). That's brutal. The NHL is even more insane. 84 regular season games? Then a playoff schedule that's just as brutal as the NBA?

Where, in football, did anyone actually expect
    You're comparing the NFL to the NBA? Well, that's the beauty of the NFL, and that's why it's so popular with casual fans all over the world. Once the playoffs start it's "one and done." I mentioned on the NFL thread a while back that I heard a comentary about how the NFL has changed. Seeding, home field advantage, great regular season records aren't as important as they once were. Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen. It's all about who's hot at the moment. In the other leagues where you have to play a "series" of games (best of 7) to advance, it really takes a lot of patience and strategy.

I personally feel that the NBA (and NHL too, but I can't stand hockey so I don't care) just has too many regular season games. I'd keep the playoff system the way it is. Really, if you've followed big league, American sports all your life it's really all about drawing in the casual fan. That means teams playing layer upon layer of playoff series, and big market, sexy teams playing in championship games every year. That's what the leagues want, and that's what big media wants.

Fucking Hurricanes. We were this close to beating the Dookies and we blew it. Shit!!!!!