Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just heard a song from this new group called Greta Van Fleet - Highway song

I probably made the mistake of discovering Greta Van Susteren through YouTube over just listening to them. Yikes, I can't imagine these guys doing the Mud Shark Incident. But even so, there is a boy band sensibility I can't quite get around. Yeah, they sound a lot like Zep but the tunes I've heard lack the depth and imagination of the real thing. It's like someone stirred Hansen into LZII. I usually like the retro rock stuff but these guys aren't really my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Yeah, they sound a lot like Zep but the tunes I've heard lack the depth and imagination of the real thing.
    This is exactly how I feel. They come up with some good grooves and some good ideas, but they lack the development and diversity to really have staying power for me. Plus they just ape Zeppelin too closely for me, so despite really wanting to enjoy what they do, I can't help feeling like they come off as a "two-bit Zeppelin clone."

I somewhat give them the benefit of the doubt as they are, what, 12 years old? They could develop as songwriters and work to develop their own voice. So I'd check out their next album to see where they go with it. They're obviously very talented and I truly wish them the best, but much as I wanted to like this, there's just not enough substance or originality to keep me interested.

Bill

What made Zeppelin Zeppelin was that they came from quite different backgrounds - Page was into the blues but did sessions and could play anything, Jones had a classical background and also did sessions, Plant and Bonham were crazy about soul music - no two of them had quite the same outlook on music, but they all liked and respected each others' favorites as well. And when they made music, all of that's what came out. Plus, it being the late-psych/early-prog era, they tried a whole lot of other stuff as well because that's what every band back then did: British-Isles folk, borderline prog, Middle-Eastern music, space jamming, and more.

But with GvF, it's a bit like a lot of newer Big-P-Prog bands - they may not have listened to much except for Zeppelin and other bands who sounded similar, maybe Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden, so this is the result.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-29-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Very good band with a serious LZ jones...and that ain't a bad thing, is it?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. They come up with some good grooves and some good ideas, but they lack the development and diversity to really have staying power for me. Plus they just ape Zeppelin too closely for me, so despite really wanting to enjoy what they do, I can't help feeling like they come off as a "two-bit Zeppelin clone."

I somewhat give them the benefit of the doubt as they are, what, 12 years old? They could develop as songwriters and work to develop their own voice. So I'd check out their next album to see where they go with it. They're obviously very talented and I truly wish them the best, but much as I wanted to like this, there's just not enough substance or originality to keep me interested.

Bill
    ^ what Bill said^

Sounds like they're only going for the sound of LZ I & II
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    ^ what Bill said^

Sounds like they're only going for the sound of LZ I & II
    and Janis Joplin...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

It's good, despite being blatantly derivative. But I wouldn't mind at all if my daughter or the kids of today started listening to this. Eventually it would lead them to the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's good, despite being blatantly derivative. But I wouldn't mind at all if my daughter or the kids of today started listening to this. Eventually it would lead them to the real thing.
    Their audience is mostly young which is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Their audience is mostly young which is encouraging.
    Well, the kids of today have the right to live their rock'n'roll dream too. On their own terms. And it's not like LZ were not derivative too. Maybe the more mature listeners of the age would say :these buggers, look how they steal from the blues.
    Btw, my 13years old daughter liked it a lot. But if I play her the Zeps she goes like "oh, not these dinosaurs again!"

Agree!.
    And as I wrote before:
    “I will keep an eye on them!”
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Derivative yes but still impressive. The question for me is as they mature will they become as eclectic and experimental as Zep did? I mean it's fine that a band this young is slamming out brutal hard rock with Plant-like vocals but with Zep you were also getting folk, funk/R&B, blooze, and some African/Asian motifs as well. That's pretty much the point where bands like Kingdom Come failed. In the meantime I'll play the shit out of these vids because above all these kids are having fun and it's infectious.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jon Neudorf
    I hate Wal-mart but they are selling this for $10. Will get this soon enuf. The local brick and mortar played me a track a few weeks ago. Sounded like a long lost Zep track. Not a bad thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's pretty much the point where bands like Kingdom Come failed. In the meantime I'll play the shit out of these vids because above all these kids are having fun and it's infectious.
    Indeed, the fun, unpretentious character of these kids is what wins the day. As for the Kingdom Come comment, that was 30 years ago - too close to the original LZ. The cultural setting today is completely different, and there are audiences who are absolutely clueless to Zeps magic.

Indeed, the fun, unpretentious character of these kids is what wins the day. As for the Kingdom Come comment, that was 30 years ago - too close to the original LZ. The cultural setting today is completely different, and there are audiences who are absolutely clueless to Zeps magic.
    Good points. Kingdom Come always came across to me as intentionally trying to sound as much like Zeppelin as they could. Greta Van Fleet, sound a lot like Zeppelin, but when you see interviews with them, typically Zep is not a band that the call out as an influence. It will be interesting to see how they develop for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Greta Van Fleet, sound a lot like Zeppelin, but when you see interviews with them, typically Zep is not a band that the call out as an influence. It will be interesting to see how they develop for sure.
    Musically I can kind of see this at times, but not the vocals. The singer is aping Robert Plant constantly. Some of the songs are also obvious nods to Zep. There's an acoustic piece with organ on their album that sounds like a pastiche of Zep acoustic songs. So I'm not sure I'm completely buying their story on this. But at the same time, I accept that there are other influences in their music as well.

They also have videos of them doing nothing by Zeppelin covers, like they were a Zeppelin cover band before starting to write their own stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but I think at one point these dudes were completely under the Zeppelin spell, and their denial of that is a bit of spin.

Bill

Call me when a new band channels Purple. The LZ clones are legion.

Couldn't they have thought of a better name for the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Couldn't they have thought of a better name for the band?
    No worse than Jethro Tull or Uriah Heep.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Greta Van Fleet?

What does it mean?

Listen to Rolling Stones Music Now Podcast.

Can Greta Van Fleet save Classic Rock

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pan...tone-music-now

Let’s you learn the answer as well as listen to the bands love for classic rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I listened to the song. Man, I’m torn! On the one hand, these guys have NO originality, and are just trying to sound like Led Zeppelin as much as possible!

On the other, they are DAMN good at it, and I love this! Hopefully they continue on this path and discover a little more of their own identity. This coming from the person who thinks that Anekdoten’s most recent albums are far, far superior to Vemod.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Greta Van Fleet?

What does it mean?

Here we go!.

How Greta Van Fleet Got Their Band Name
    http://www.1029thebuzz.com/2017/06/2...eir-band-name/

From Wikipedia:
    “The band was formed in Frankenmuth, Michigan in 2012 by brothers Joshua "Josh" Kiszka, Samuel "Sam" Kiszka, Jacob "Jake" Kiszka and Kyle Hauck. Hauck subsequently left the band in October 2013 and was replaced by Daniel "Danny" Wagner the same year.[4] The band name was created when one of its members heard a relative mention Gretna Van Fleet, a resident of Frankenmuth; their use of the variation on her name was done with her blessing.”

Pura vida!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Great live show from a few weeks back. Yes, they're fairly dripping with Zep, but they're also one solid band.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    No worse than Jethro Tull or Uriah Heep.
    Yeah, imagine giving a rock band a woman's name...

Over the weekend I was at a sprint car race at a dirt track in southern ohio. Usually, when tailgating before the race, you hear a mix of a lot of country and some classic rock coming from fellow tailgaters. This year we pull into the parking lot and there were a group of much younger people tailgating near us and they were blasting out some cool sounding rock n roll. I recognized it, but it took me a minute to figure out what it was. Then it finally clicked, they were playing Greta Van Fleet's most recent album. I went over and talked to them and they were a cool bunch, all of them really into this band. I think they were a little surprised to see a 56 year old man who recognized what they were playing. Anyway........I thought it was cool.