Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ridiculous lists of instrumental credits

The credits for Kansas' Point Of Know Return LP had one weird instrumental credit for each member of the band (such as "autogyro", "Peabody Chromatic Inverter", "Rinaldo Whistling Machine" and so on).

How about the Tubes' The Completion Backward Principle?

BILL SPOONER - Analysis, Guitar, Vocals
    VINCE WELNICK - Accounts, Keyboards, Vocals
    MICHAEL COTTEN - Trend, Synthesizers
    FEE WAYBILL - Motivation, Lead Vocals
    ROGER STEEN - Development, Guitar, Vocals
    PRAIRIE PRINCE - Systems, Drums
    RICK ANDERSON - Policy, Bass
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't one of the RMI guys use one just as a place to park one of his other keyboards at a NEARFest?
    See also, Gayle Moran on the back cover to her vanity project solo album, who uses her M400 as a place to drape her fringed designer shawl and rest her teapot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    The credits for Kansas' Point Of Know Return LP had one weird instrumental credit for each member of the band (such as "autogyro", "Peabody Chromatic Inverter", "Rinaldo Whistling Machine" and so on).
    Presumably where IQ got the idea for the instrument credits on Are You Sitting Comfortably, where we get the likes of Giant Electric Pea, Enormous Sucking Trout and Gas-Driven Sea-Biscuit.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

re: Mellotron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't one of the RMI guys use one just as a place to park one of his other keyboards at a NEARFest?
    It just so happens all three members of RMI are Facebook friends of mine, and I asked about that once, and I think it was either Steve or Duncan who said the Mellotron was a loaner from...whoever it was who usually supplied the Mellotrons you saw onstage at NEARfest (regardless of who you saw playing one, they were typically owned by I think the same one or two individuals). Anyhow, either Steve or Duncan, whichever it was who told me this, said they actually intended to use more than they actually did (I believe they used it just a bit on the first piece they played) , but there was some kind of technical problem caused a really a nasty hum, and hence it didn't get used much after the first few minutes of the set.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-15-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    How about the Tubes' The Completion Backward Principle?

BILL SPOONER - Analysis, Guitar, Vocals
    VINCE WELNICK - Accounts, Keyboards, Vocals
    MICHAEL COTTEN - Trend, Synthesizers
    FEE WAYBILL - Motivation, Lead Vocals
    ROGER STEEN - Development, Guitar, Vocals
    PRAIRIE PRINCE - Systems, Drums
    RICK ANDERSON - Policy, Bass
    As I recall, there was supposed to be some sort of "corporate" theme with that album's title, artwork, etc. Wikipedia says it was a concept album presented as a "motivational business document". Hence, the oddball credits (eg "analysis, "accounts", "trend", etc) serve that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As I recall, there was supposed to be some sort of "corporate" theme with that album's title, artwork, etc. Wikipedia says it was a concept album presented as a "motivational business document". Hence, the oddball credits (eg "analysis, "accounts", "trend", etc) serve that purpose.
    Yes, and although I can't remember where, I read that it was also supposed to be a sly comment on the commercialization of their music - that it was being turned into a corporate product. That means, of course, that they were in disagreement with the direction the producer was taking their music, but maybe that's accurate?
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    On Violent Femmes' first album, drummer Victor Delorenzo is credited as playing something called the Tranceaphone. I happened to see them open for John Cale when they were brand new, and as far as I could tell the Tranceaphone was an upside-down wash tub, but perhaps it was more?

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Yes, and although I can't remember where, I read that it was also supposed to be a sly comment on the commercialization of their music - that it was being turned into a corporate product. That means, of course, that they were in disagreement with the direction the producer was taking their music, but maybe that's accurate?
    Could be, could be. I wonder if the producer or the record company had any clue, or if they were all in collusion over the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On Violent Femmes' first album, drummer Victor Delorenzo is credited as playing something called the Tranceaphone. I happened to see them open for John Cale when they were brand new, and as far as I could tell the Tranceaphone was an upside-down wash tub, but perhaps it was more?
    I think I know what you're talking about, because I read an interview with the band around the time their first or second album came out (whichever one it was that had Gone Daddy Gone on it). Anyway, I think he said it some type of bucket, which he placed, upside down on a drum, but I've forgotten the details. I think he said it was the type of bucket used to haul ash away from a wood stove or something like that.

Here's another one; on Bruford's Feels Good To Me, Bill Bruford credits include "tunes & final say".

On Jon Lord's 'Sarabande', percussionist Mark Nauseef lists:

Bongos, Congas, Timbales, Roto-Tom, Talking Drum, Drum, Wood Block, Claves, Triangle, Cabasa, Idiophone, Maracas, Thunder Sheet, Tam-tam, Water Gong, Siren, Vibraslap, Cymbal, Finger Cymbals, Crotales, Sleigh Bells, Gourds, Guiro, Tambourine.

Lord himself only lists eight items.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Bongos, Congas, Timbales, Roto-Tom, Talking Drum, Drum, Wood Block, Claves, Triangle, Cabasa, Idiophone, Maracas, Thunder Sheet, Tam-tam, Water Gong, Siren, Vibraslap, Cymbal, Finger Cymbals, Crotales, Sleigh Bells, Gourds, Guiro, Tambourine.

Hmmm, I never heard any Jon Lord solo material. How is it? The combo of Hammond heaviosity and all-but-the-kitchen-sink percussion lunacy seems potentially interesting.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hmmm, I never heard any Jon Lord solo material. How is it? The combo of Hammond heaviosity and all-but-the-kitchen-sink percussion lunacy seems potentially interesting.
    Sarabande is a beautiful album- but it's not heavy on either Hammond organ or percussion - although one piece has a lengthy percussion build up as an intro. It features the, to me then unknown, Andy Summers on guitar. Judge for yourself. I bought it almost as soon as it came out and i loved it from day 1.

Last edited by jake; 10-17-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Haven't listened to 'Sarabande' in years but it is very good. IIRC it's more piano led; there's one track which features the Hohner Clavinet, and there's another with a long flowing Hammond piece, but as you said it's not the 'turned up to 11' sound you associate with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

wonder what an idiophone is ?

Easily Lord's best solo album, and maybe the only that you'd need (save maybe Paice, Ashton & Lord, which is not a solo venture)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    An instrument where the material of which the instrument is made, is the main ingredient in making the sound. It can be played by beating it, like bells, castagnets, triangles or cymbals, by rubbing, like the glassharmonica, by, picking like the jews harp, or by blowing.

Easily Lord's best solo album, and maybe the only that you'd need (save maybe Paice, Ashton & Lord, which is not a solo venture)
    Well I like his later, more classical work as well, but of his earlier solo-stuff I consider it his best. It's the only one I also own on vinyl. I still know where I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Could be, could be. I wonder if the producer or the record company had any clue, or if they were all in collusion over the matter.
    The Tubes were definitely offering kind of a Take That to the record company with the whole Completion Backwards Principle concept. If you have any doubt, check the sly LP promo they dropped into the middle of this set:

The album produced their first real hit single, “Don’t Want to Wait Anymore,” which was promptly forgotten by anyone and everyone.

That’s fancy talk for mallet percussion (marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, vibraphone, etc.).

If you want to hear more Mark Nauseef percussion madness, check out his two albums with his band Dark.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Not prog, but

James Gang: Thirds - Joe Walsh: guitar, vocals, and train wreck.

Joe Walsh: So What - includes performers and instruments for each song, including "All Night Laundry Mat Blues" Miscellaneous/Jon Stronach, Dan Fogelberg & Joe Walsh, Snarks/Dan Fogelberg

Hmmm. Now that I look at it again, gotta go back and listen to "Welcome to the Club" and see where Joe played the Mellotron...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

The album produced their first real hit single, “Don’t Want to Wait Anymore,” which was promptly forgotten by anyone and everyone.

That was the one that was sung by one of the guitarists, either Spooner or Steen, I forget which one, wasn't it? It wasn't completely forgotten, because when VH-1 Classic first started, they aired the video semi-regularly (they showed a lot of relatively obscure videos those first 5 or so years, which started disappearing after awhile).

The album also produced their second hit, Talk To Ya Later, which featured a guest guitar solo from Steve Lukather, who woudl also play the guitar solo on their third hit, She's A Beauty, on the next album (which I was told by an informed source was "basically Toto pretending to be The Tubes").

When I saw Hermeto he did a toy piggy solo!
    Judging by a picture in the Live in Chicago CD, one of the current King Crimson percussionists has a toy piggy in his arsenal.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ They must’ve added it since I saw them in 2014. Bastards! Now I’ll have to see them again.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by groon View Post
    And at the other end of the scale there's Bill Bruford's credit for his (non-)playing on Trio: "Admirable restraint".
    On 10cc's "Look Hear?" the band members who sat out a particular song get credits like "watched again," "shouted encouragement," etc.

I always enjoyed this from the Horslips' acoustic "Christmas" album, "Drive the Cold Winter Away":
    Charles O'Connor sang and played mandolin, fiddle, concertina and Northumbrian pipes.

Jim Lockhart played a bewildering array of keyboards including harpsichord, celeste, table organ, pipe organ and piano. He also sang and played Uilleann pipes, flute, tin whistle and recorder - octopus city!

John Fean played fiddle, mandolin, banjo and all manner of guitars.

Barry Devlin played bass and grumbled a lot and Eamon Carr hit out at a bodhran and a loose skinned Arabian Bongo. (Derek Taylor was not in the studio).
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I always enjoyed this from the Horslips' acoustic "Christmas" album, "Drive the Cold Winter Away":
    Also, that "loose skinned Arabian bongo" is a reference to the liner notes from With the Beatles. (Written by Tony Barrow, though, not Derek Taylor.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx