Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Porgy Pig is now a part of the SWU?!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's why I hate Disney.
    Blame Lucas for the merchandising - he pioneered it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Porgs were much better in the 70's.
    Hahaha...awesome.

I just checked Amazon and Netflix for the Force Awakens, figuring I'd rewatch it. $3.99 on Amazon, sold!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just checked Amazon and Netflix for the Force Awakens, figuring I'd rewatch it. $3.99 on Amazon, sold!
    I'm sure it was free on Netflix UK last week.

I saw it a few hours ago and really liked it. Quite entertaining, quite the spectacle. Just as a Star Wars movie should be.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Saw it this morning, thought it was great. LOTS of ground covered, but on the whole it was a fun ride Looking forward to a second viewing early next week...

Saw it last night and, after giving it a lot of thought, I loved it. Lots of unexpected twists and turns, some genuinely shocking (to me at least). Once I accepted that my own expectations didn't need to be followed in order to make for an entertaining movie, I felt better about it. Seeing it again tomorrow.

Glad you gents liked it!

I am a sucker for anything Star Wars. Too much of my Teenhood wrapped up in it. It was the first movie I ever saw more than once in a theater. I knew every line of the first movie. The second and third we also awesome. Fist time I had to wait for 2+ years for the next movie, where I actually cared.

These new Star Wars movies are exciting to anticipate. I no longer will stand in line for 6 hours to be the first to see it, but it sure does feel good to know that Mark Hamill has grown up like me. I just hope he's not as screwed up as I am.

Ready to go see this - more than once in a theater. I dont think I have ever done that for any other movie since the first Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Blame Lucas for the merchandising - he pioneered it.
    He was only the first to make a lot of money from it. Back in the 60s, the TV programme Thunderbirds, for example, had spin-off toys for sale, plastic figurines in cereal packets, collectors' cards in packets of sweet cigarettes, and so on. But in a lot of instances the licenses were sold on and it was the licensees who made the money, not the programme makers.

I have a friend that has an uncle that was involved with merchandising products for SW during the original trilogy and then the prequels. He said Lucas was obsessed to an almost Disney degree with merchandising. At a meeting someone from the film end burst in to try and get George's opinion on something crucial and was told "this is far more important". And right there is another reason the prequels sucked balls.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I'm not all that impressed with Kylo Ren or the New Order. They seem childish and shrill. The cold, implacable, mechanical Empire stamped itself into my young mind to the point where Ren with his temper tantrums just seem weak. He's just not that intimidating.
    To me, he looks like the wimpy kid named Parker Schnabel in the reality show "Gold Rush". About as intimidating as a 12 year old. No way that guy could ever be passed off as the spawn of Han Solo and Princess Leah. She must have gone to a Dork sperm bank to come up with that little twerp. I expect sometime in an upcoming sequel Richard Simmons will prance up and say to him: "I am your father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    that little twerp. I expect sometime in an upcoming sequel Richard Simmons will prance up and say to him: "I am your father!"

I haven't seen the new film but most comments I've read on other sites have been negative. I'll probably catch it next weekend.

We got our tickets yesterday for Tuesdays showing at the local Regal. We decided to not go 3D this time. I've read mostly positive comments from people and the critics love it, so I'm looking forward to a fun ride.

It’s actually great.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Good job avoiding spoilers everyone, I'm not going for another week, will I survive?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good job avoiding spoilers everyone, I'm not going for another week, will I survive?
    Same here. We are seeing it with some of my wife's family in Wisconsin next Sunday. I am trying to avoid spoilers.

*Spoiler Alert*

They almost made it off the island, but then Gilligan screwed up.
    Man, the Skipper was pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It’s actually great.
    I agree.

I thought it was okay to good. There is a lot I could be fairly critical about, but it’s difficult to do that without spoilers. There are a lot of great moments as well, but as a complete story it falls short and feels quite patchy. I also can’t help but feel that many of the characters got a makeover in their story arc between TFA and TLJ.

But these are popcorn films after all, not Oscar material. And I think ones enjoyment with these films increases the more one is able to suspend disbelief. And this comes from a die hard lifelong fan who was 7 when the first movie came out.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I thought it was okay to good. There is a lot I could be fairly critical about, but it’s difficult to do that without spoilers. There are a lot of great moments as well, but as a complete story it falls short and feels quite patchy. I also can’t help but feel that many of the characters got a makeover in their story arc between TFA and TLJ.

But these are popcorn films after all, not Oscar material. And I think ones enjoyment with these films increases the more one is able to suspend disbelief. And this comes from a die hard lifelong fan who was 7 when the first movie came out.
    I am right there with you, except I gave the edge to it being a good movie. Of course, I want the movie I have imagined in my mind, but I'm not going to get that. This flick satisfied my Star Wars fascination. Yes, I donned my ceremonial sneakers for the 9am viewing on Sunday.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

I agree for the most part. However, I felt that the main plot points were good and well-thought out. I have quibbles about a few things, especially the overuse of humor, but all in all, I enjoyed it a lot. I'll likely see it again over the holidays.
    Chad

I saw it and I enjoyed it. I’d give it an 8, maybe a 7.5…. I guess my beef is these stories are usually pretty predictable. You know the drill going in, so any unusual plot twists are very welcome. These recent movies where they trot out people from the original series are ok but to just kill them off in the course of one episode seems a bit short sighted.

"I'm not all that impressed with Kylo Ren or the New Order. They seem childish and shrill. The cold, implacable, mechanical Empire stamped itself into my young mind to the point where Ren with his temper tantrums just seem weak. He's just not that intimidating."

This^^^ 100%