Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I liked Rogue One a lot more than The Force Awakens.
    I saw the originals and then eons later the first prequel with a friend. I didn't like it apart from a couple of scenes, while he thought it was great. I was then persuaded by other friends to see the next prequel and the same thing - a few cool scenes but as we left the theater I smiled and said: "That's it! No more Star Wars for me!" I skipped the third prequel.

I also skipped XII, but it looked somewhat interesting and when the Mellennial Falcon went through a corkscrew on the trailer... No, I won't be fooled again and skipped that one.

Yet last month I saw Rogue One and sort of liked it. Not the greatest thing ever on film, but it kept my attention and would see a sequal to that.

I saw the originals when they were new, too. I thought The Phantom Menace stunk from the get-go except for the showdown with Maul. The rest of it was lame. The other two prequels are better, but that's not hard when you start at the bottom.

There won't be a "sequel" to Rogue One because it connects to the '77 film.

Yep, Rogue One ends at a point minutes before the '77 film begins. But they are making a film about a young Han Solo...which sounds like something that they'd screw up.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Rogue One was a good popcorn flick, came closer to capturing the 'magic' of the first two original movies than any prequel and finally answers the age-old question of how the hell do you blow up a Death Star with one shot. Too bad they crossed the line of good taste with the CGI reanimation of deceased actors.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thoughts?
    I always have to grapple with the fact that it's not "my" Star Wars. So all the ways it fails to conform to the cannon inscribed in my psyche as a child and adolescent (not the actual movies mind you, but the way I remember them) automatically irk me.

They're kids movies, and I loved them as a kid. That part of me loves those movies still. The ones that came after are far more like a forced study, or at worst a worn retread. That being said, taking them seriously rather misses the point of the whole endeavor anyway. So I don't, and I have found enjoyment of them, albeit a kind of piecemeal enjoyment.

I'm not all that impressed with Kylo Ren or the New Order. They seem childish and shrill. The cold, implacable, mechanical Empire stamped itself into my young mind to the point where Ren with his temper tantrums just seem weak. He's just not that intimidating.

I think when the franchise lost the overall man vs. machine anxiety, it lost a lot of the unifying tone and temper that guided its aesthetic. It's there in flashes, but doesn't seem like it is at its core anymore. It was everything in the original trilogy. But then, those were "my" movies, unlike the things that followed.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Any place where the script says “magic happens here.”
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Star Wars probably isn't for you then. But do you feel that way about movies like Indiana Jones, or The Lord of the Rings, where fantastical elements are also integral to the plot? It just seems like a strange thing to hold against it, IMO, seeing as "the force" has been a prominent aspect in those films since the first movie came out in '77.

Guess I just don't understand is all. I also don't see Star Wars as "pseudo-religious", but it does have a spiritual undercurrent. If it comes down to spiritual versus secular, then that's a whole other discussion.

After the 12th or 13th time the new trailer autoplayed on my FB feed, I gave up and just watched the damned thing. It looks fine.

I'm a massive SW geek, the original films were a big part of my formative years. I watched all the prequels, thought they ranged from pretty OK in places to downright horrible in plenty more (seriously Lucas...it takes WORK to make someone as talented and naturally beautiful as Natalie Portman and make her utterly cardboard-esque. To quote Mr Kranky, the romance between her and Hayden was like watching a poodle try and screw a brick). The Force Awakens was basically a remix but was still a very fun remix and I came away happy. Rogue One was surprisingly fun all around for me, and the CGI zombies didn't really take away from that. The moment the Rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace over Scarif, I instantly morph back into a 10-year old, bouncing on the sofa going "ooo! OOO!"

All that said...they're just movies, big honking popcorn check-your-brain-at-the-door movies at that. I don't expect deep/thought-provoking ideas, just big fun, mega space battles and some cool glowing lightsaber action. Hell, I'd argue that even the Phantom Menace was easier to sit through than any of the more recent Transformer horrors or *choke* Independence Day 2.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I also skipped XII
    You mean VII.

Mellennial Falcon
    Millennium Falcon.

No, I won't be fooled again and skipped that one.
    Retread comments aside, The Force Awakens is a fun Star Wars movie. It has the spirit of the original trilogy and sets up the next part of the saga with all the new chraracters.

Yet last month I saw Rogue One and sort of liked it. Not the greatest thing ever on film, but it kept my attention and would see a sequal to that.
    There can't be a sequel to Rogue One. It's timeline is directly adjacent to the timeline of Episode IV, not to mention all the main characters are dead (minus Vader and Tarkin).

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm a massive SW geek, the original films were a big part of my formative years. I watched all the prequels, thought they ranged from pretty OK in places to downright horrible in plenty more (seriously Lucas...it takes WORK to make someone as talented and naturally beautiful as Natalie Portman and make her utterly cardboard-esque. To quote Mr Kranky, the romance between her and Hayden was like watching a poodle try and screw a brick). The Force Awakens was basically a remix but was still a very fun remix and I came away happy. Rogue One was surprisingly fun all around for me, and the CGI zombies didn't really take away from that. The moment the Rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace over Scarif, I instantly morph back into a 10-year old, bouncing on the sofa going "ooo! OOO!"

All that said...they're just movies, big honking popcorn check-your-brain-at-the-door movies at that. I don't expect deep/thought-provoking ideas, just big fun, mega space battles and some cool glowing lightsaber action. Hell, I'd argue that even the Phantom Menace was easier to sit through than any of the more recent Transformer horrors or *choke* Independence Day 2.

That.
    Chad

when the Mellennial Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Millennium Falcon.

Actually, what with the female stormtrooper, multi-racial cast, fast pace and almost non-stop action, the slip up here is kind of appropriate.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

There can't be a sequel to Rogue One. It's timeline is directly adjacent to the timeline of Episode IV, not to mention all the main characters are dead (minus Vader and Tarkin).
    Given, you know, ..... Hollywood. I wouldn't put it past them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Given, you know, ..... Hollywood. I wouldn't put it past them.
    We're all dying to know what happened in between the moment CGI Leia received the plans and Darth Vader's boarding of her ship.

BTW, in light of how the story developed, isn't it odd in retrospect that Darth Vader would have been assigned to the boarding party of the intercept attempt? That was grunt work.

Well, because I really am single for a reason...

I also watch the Star Wars Rebels TV show, which takes place a few years prior to A New Hope (and thus, also Rogue One), and kind of serves as a prequel of sorts to those films. They are even incorporating some of the characters and vehicles which featured in Rogue One. I wouldn't actually be surprised to see Felicity Jones turn up to do some voiceover work as Jyn Erso on the show (Forest Whitaker is already doing Saw's voice)...apparently I read somewhere that Jones was actually contracted to appear more than once (i.e. not just one and done with Rogue One) so the show might be the reason.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Rebels is a great. I'm looking very forward to the new season!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    BTW, in light of how the story developed, isn't it odd in retrospect that Darth Vader would have been assigned to the boarding party of the intercept attempt? That was grunt work.
    That's seemed to be his pattern. He boarded the Tantive IV, he entered the Rebel Base at Hoth, he went to Bespin... He did avoid Endor during that battle though.
    Chad

That's seemed to be his pattern. He boarded the Tantive IV, he entered the Rebel Base at Hoth, he went to Bespin... He did avoid Endor during that battle though.
    Is there anything more evil than a micro-manager?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

He had a parent/teacher conference regarding his son to attend in that instance. Family first

Is there anything more evil than a micro-manager?
    So true.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    He had a parent/teacher conference regarding his son to attend in that instance. Family first
    Wow. Look at all the life lessons!
    Chad

exactly!!

I'm very stoked. But, I can do without the Porgs.
    I can't believe you say this, and on PorgEars of all places.

Porgs were much better in the 70's.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What is Porg?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I can't believe you say this, and on PorgEars of all places.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Porgs were much better in the 70's.
    What is Porg?
    Thanks guys. This got a good chuckle out of me.

Disney is ready for all your porg merchandising needs

https://www.fatherly.com/gear/star-w...gs-buy-amazon/

We're going to see more of this stuff in the future. DVD sales have tanked and studios have to find some way to make up for that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's why I hate Disney.
    Ian