Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-Files 2018 teaser

Very meh finale. Except of course if Scully is pregnant with her son's alien child; impregnated while he had taken on the form of Mulder.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Very meh finale. Except of course if Scully is pregnant with her son's alien child; impregnated while he had taken on the form of Mulder.

Just made it through the last episodes of the season. Have to agree that the finale left much to be desired. Mainly, it just felt like too much crammed into 40-some minutes. The fact that they needed to use so much footage and recap from the previous mythology episodes was distracting and ruined the continuity; it would have been more satisfying if they could have found a way to do a two-parter that explored more of the characters and plot elements brought forward in "My Struggle" I - III. Having said that, I'll add that overall I found several of the episodes of this season to be worthy additions to the "one-off" canon the series has been known for since its beginning.

To me, the run of the show (from the beginning) very much parallels the type of run many of our favorite bands had going back to the 70s: Seasons one through five are just stone classic tv, with the cast and writers hitting a stride that had almost no missteps. The way was lost starting in season six, and once the original "band" started to fracture the show became much more hit-and-miss. After a long hiatus, some of the original members got together and put together new material that at times reminded us of the glory days, but never completely recaptured the old chemistry or reached the same heights. How could it be otherwise? These are different people, at a different stage of life and career, and to expect things to be as they were is asking too much. I did appreciate the way they acknowledged these difficulties in the stories and the dialogue, and some of the writing and acting was strong enough to provide significant enjoyment. If this is the end - and I find myself hoping it is - at least they went out swinging for the fences and not completely dumbing-down to fit the times.

My opinion only!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

But now we wonder what becomes of William, and also the CSM. I'd expect maybe another film, or a mini-series to wrap it up. I personally would not have a problem with the show (a spinoff) continuing without Scully.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Just made it through the last episodes of the season. Have to agree that the finale left much to be desired. Mainly, it just felt like too much crammed into 40-some minutes. The fact that they needed to use so much footage and recap from the previous mythology episodes was distracting and ruined the continuity; it would have been more satisfying if they could have found a way to do a two-parter that explored more of the characters and plot elements brought forward in "My Struggle" I - III. Having said that, I'll add that overall I found several of the episodes of this season to be worthy additions to the "one-off" canon the series has been known for since its beginning.

To me, the run of the show (from the beginning) very much parallels the type of run many of our favorite bands had going back to the 70s: Seasons one through five are just stone classic tv, with the cast and writers hitting a stride that had almost no missteps. The way was lost starting in season six, and once the original "band" started to fracture the show became much more hit-and-miss. After a long hiatus, some of the original members got together and put together new material that at times reminded us of the glory days, but never completely recaptured the old chemistry or reached the same heights. How could it be otherwise? These are different people, at a different stage of life and career, and to expect things to be as they were is asking too much. I did appreciate the way they acknowledged these difficulties in the stories and the dialogue, and some of the writing and acting was strong enough to provide significant enjoyment. If this is the end - and I find myself hoping it is - at least they went out swinging for the fences and not completely dumbing-down to fit the times.

My opinion only!
    Agreed. All I could think while watching the finale was that this should have been a two parter...way to much to cover in 40ish minutes. If they axed that stupid vampire story from the week before, that would have been a boon in this regard, IMO. But oh well. Overall, I quite enjoyed this season, though I wouldn't want it to continue without scully.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Gillian Anderson was quoted as done with the show. she's got a lot of other things going on. Can't see it continue without her. We enjoyed the last couple seasons. I agree the ending wasn't the best for sure. Nice to see the smug smoking man get smoked.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Fun episode last night but couldn't help rolling my eyes through most of it. It was entertaining. It was plausible, but way too exaggerated. Really, I was expecting it to be a dream sequence.
    just now catching up to this point and I never really appreciated these jokey episodes. Why do silly-ass parody like that and still expect us to take the rest of the series seriously, especially when it was such a fascinating and relevant subject. It already takes quite the leap of suspension of disbelief to want to even engage a modern-day version of The X-Files.

It's like when I was a kid and watched professional wrestling. I suspected it was fake even when I was a kid but still found it entertaining. But every single territory felt compelled to trot out the tired old "mummy schtick" just to dare people not to feel stupid for watching.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 02-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.