Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creepy soundtracks

wow - some seriously great suggestions on this thread. There is a LOT of music posted, but most of the soundtracks that I haven't heard before are quite good to fantastic. Jeepers Creepers.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I didn't care for the film but this track is great - reminds me a bit of Present

Varése Sarabande is issuing a multi-disc box set of soundtracks adapted from the works of Stephen King:

Dreamcatcher (Expanded)
    The Shining (1997 miniseries remake)
    The Stand (2CD)
    Firestarter*

*This will be the first time Firestarter has been reissued in any format since its original release. AFAIK, it's not expanded and is a straight reissue of Tangerine Dream's score (which I love, btw).

Popul Vuh score for Herzog's Nosferatu is not dark or spooky.
    For the most part it is happy (and even folky).

Quote Originally Posted by Bimba View Post
    Popul Vuh score for Herzog's Nosferatu is not dark or spooky.
    For the most part it is happy (and even folky).
    I have to wonder how it happened; how such a cynical filmmaker as Herzog wound up commissioning so much music from a deeply spiritual soul like Florian Fricke. Then again, he also made several films with Klaus Kinski, despite the fact that the two of them hated each other’s guts. The arts are weird.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I always was wonderfully creeped out by Morricone's soundtrack to "The Thing." So it was kind of fun to finally play it live, such as it we could cobble together a cover with minimal rehearsal.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post

I love this film

Eraserhead soundtrack album.

La-La Land Records is going to release the unused soundtrack from David Shire for Apocalypse Now.
    Listening to the clips on http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/...ypseNowDS.html this might be a creepy one with a lot of synths.

So...guess what is getting an official CD release...tomorrow!

https://musiquefantastique.com/new-s...mnation-alley/

Likely, Jerry Goldsmith’s most sought-after unreleased score is that for Jack Smight’s 1977 post-apocalyptic action thriller, loosely based on the novel of the same name by Roger Zelazny, Intrada has found the original standalone music tapes and re-performed the missing synthesizer tracks to provide the score as originally heard in theaters.

“This is an incredible score in its entirety featuring some of his most ferocious 70’s era sci-fi action writing,” wrote Intrada’s Douglass Fake in a Facebook post Sunday night, announcing the release. This is “Jerry’s most elusive big action score in its entirety at last… with several previously unreleased tracks including a riveting never-before-heard cue for a scene dropped from the finished film.”

Intrada’s meticulous process of realizing this score began with getting 20th Century Fox on board and digging through their vaults until the elusive music tracks were found. Having uncovered them, Intrada’s crew next performed “ambitious restorations of the entire orchestral multi-track session masters for the first time ever, then locate Jerry’s sketches and*scores, and engaging a synth expert (Leigh Phillips) to newly-perform the long-missing electronics,” and thus restore the soundtrack to the manner in which it was heard in the original soundtrack.
    ^Note the part in bold. That's fine by me, because the tapes for the electronics were lost years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Courtesy of Jerry Goldsmith, one of the best pairings of orchestra and synth I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    La-La Land Records is going to release the unused soundtrack from David Shire for Apocalypse Now.
    Listening to the clips on http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/...ypseNowDS.html this might be a creepy one with a lot of synths.
    Just got this album: creepy indeed, but also melodic.
    Performed by Shire, Daniel Wyman, Clark Spangler and Michael Boddicker.

Yeah, I really liked that Shire soundtrack based on the samples; ordered a copy this morning.

Thanks for that heads up!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Jazzed as eff to get an actual CD of Damnation Alley. May get that Shire CD, too. Those samples are goo'ed down with tasty sounds!

Actually a quite nice soundtrack for a creepy film.

Hitchcock/ Herrmann Psycho works every time for me...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Question: What is the story behind the AZ Nosferatu soundtrack? What happened to the original 1922 music?
    Silent film. The original 1922 music is whatever the organist played while it was showing in 1922.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Eraserhead soundtrack album.
    I agree whole heartedly
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Silent film. The original 1922 music is whatever the organist played while it was showing in 1922.
    To be precise, there was a full orchestral score for the film composed by Hans Erdmann. Recordings of that do not exist and a lot of the score had been lost. There is, however, a pretty good orchestral reconstruction by Gillian B. Anderson that was released on CD in 1995. It is a sort of late Romantic score with some nice parts, though not necessarily very creepy. The most widely available orchestral Nosferatu version is James Bernard's original score from around 1995. There have been dozens of different scores for various showings and reissues of Nosferatu, some of them quite good, but most of them are not available on CD or DVD. Mr. Artie Zoyd's version is one of the best as a standalone, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    To be precise, there was a full orchestral score for the film composed by Hans Erdmann. Recordings of that do not exist and a lot of the score had been lost. .
    I did not know this. I am not a cinephile nor knowledgable about stuff like this!

Thanks for filling in my mental gap!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Varése Sarabande is issuing a multi-disc box set of soundtracks adapted from the works of Stephen King:

Dreamcatcher (Expanded)
    The Shining (1997 miniseries remake)
    The Stand (2CD)
    Firestarter*

*This will be the first time Firestarter has been reissued in any format since its original release. AFAIK, it's not expanded and is a straight reissue of Tangerine Dream's score (which I love, btw).
    More information on this release (a bit late...): https://www.varesesarabande.com/prod...collection-the

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Interesting picks for the first three albums there! ^^ Don't know much about them though. I can't remember if I saw the movie of Dreamcatcher, or only read the book. Seems like one where huge hunks of the plot would be excised. A weird book, but good!

Has this set been released? I'll check that link!

EDIT: On Sale! $30, was $90! Only interested in the TaDream though.

Buy it, anyway, just for Firestarter. You'll pay as much or more for a previous CD issue!

I'm sure most of what I would add has been covered over the previous 70+ posts. In case it hasn't, Hellraiser by Christopher Young is a favorite of mine. I'm also a big fan of The Thing (credit to Morricone) and The Omen.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!