Thread: Frisell Trading 4s with Chick Corea

Frisell Trading 4s with Chick Corea

Bill sounds tentative and out-matched in this duet here, like he's a mere passenger, throwing stuff against a wall, hoping it will be effective; and his twangy Tele thing does work for me in this scenario. Very rare to see Bill not able to hang. But Chick is killing it. Was Bill Nervous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjl-m...layer_embedded

Hmm, here's a direct link. Hopefully it works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjl-m-dRw6k

I think it's great; Bill's not being tentative or nervous (that's how he always looks!), he's just being Bill. When playing with someone like Chick, who is so overtly virtuosic, Bill's less-is-more approach may seem so, but he sure looks like he's both having a blast and interacting terrifically with Chick.

THanks for posting this; I'd not heard about it!

^
    Agree, I didn't get the impression that Bill was "not able to hang" at all. Considering Bill being sort of a minimalist and Chick being more of a maximalist (is that a word?), I thought they played together really well. I never felt like they were actually trading fours either, just interacting. Chick loves that tune; he's been playing it for decades!

BTW, Chick looks thinner and healthier than he has in years! If I didn't see the date of this event, I would've thought it was made 20 years ago!
    Last edited by No Pride; 02-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.

I agree, Bill sounds like Bill always does, hip & twangy, with the always astounding Chick being busier than a bee.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Bill and Chick - true masters both
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ^
    Agree, I didn't get the impression that Bill was "not able to hang" at all. Considering Bill being sort of a minimalist and Chick being more of a maximalist (is that a word?), I thought they played together really well. I never felt like they were actually trading fours either, just interacting. Chick loves that tune; he's been playing it for decades!

BTW, Chick looks thinner and healthier than he has in years! If I didn't see the date of this event, I would've thought it was made 20 years ago!
    Scientology, stomach-staple procedure, or just sheer willpower?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Door number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Door number 3.
    Thumbs up!

Wow, what a nice surprise to see these two share a tune. I've always loved the way Frisell plays on standards; he has a way of negotiating his way through changes that's absolutely unique. In the bop idiom, but not of it, if that makes any sense.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Vegetarian diet. He was asked about it in an interview. He lost 90 pounds.

Hey, whatever works for him, the guys looks way younger than his 71 years. And of course he hasn't lost anything on the piano.

Sweet!!, tankx for post it!.
    T.C.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Smokin'!! I thought the interplay was superb, and these are 2 virtuosos imo who I never thought would play on stage together. Thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Smokin'!! I thought the interplay was superb, and these are 2 virtuosos imo who I never thought would play on stage together. Thanks!
    I thought they played really well together, and both seemed to love the experience. I can't say I've ever heard any of Frisell's music before, but liked what he offered here. I checked out some Youtube clips of his group, and maybe not my cup of tea -a bit too mellow for me, but very high quality jazz. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing him team up with Corea again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I thought they played really well together, and both seemed to love the experience. I can't say I've ever heard any of Frisell's music before, but liked what he offered here. I checked out some Youtube clips of his group, and maybe not my cup of tea -a bit too mellow for me, but very high quality jazz. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing him team up with Corea again.
    The question, Yanks, is which group, since he has so many!

Check out earlier frisell, if you're looking for something a little edgier. from his Live Download series, the shows from 1989-1997 might change your mind

I've covered his entire live download series, now up to #17, and it provides a good cross-section of Frisell's various projects, so you can read it here, if interested. Note the link, at top of first article, to get to the second piece that covers #14-17.

Very nice, especially Bill comping behind Chick.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    The question, Yanks, is which group, since he has so many!

Check out earlier frisell, if you're looking for something a little edgier. from his Live Download series, the shows from 1989-1997 might change your mind
    Well like I said, I'm unfamiliar with his work. He was just a name I'd heard before seeing this clip with Corea. Maybe I'll check out some more music of his. When it comes to jazz though, my instrument of choice will always be piano, it just speaks to me more than other instruments.