Thread: What's your first Amazon Autorip album?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

What's your first Amazon Autorip album?

As most of you probably know, when you buy an album from Amazon they automatically give you an "Autorip" copy, which just means you can stream the album from the Amazon Music player and also from the Amazon Music website. I forget what the complaints were about this initially - they wanted to charge you for something beyond a certain number of stored albums or something, but I think that idea mostly went away with Amazon Prime.

Anyway, I just bought a CD from Amazon and looked in Amazon Music (music.amazon.com) where if you're logged in with your Amazon account you can listen to all your music purchases since they started this service. I looked at my first purchase shown here (because you can see the purchase date) and it was Geddy Lee's "My Favorite Headache," purchased 11/02/2000.

What's your first album shown, and the date of purchase if you want to share that? Of course, only if Amazon has you by the balls as they do a lot of us, but I know not everyone.

A possibly interesting thing is that the album I just purchased is a preorder. But I can already also download from the Amazon Music thingy. What if I were to download the whole album, then cancel the preorder? I downloaded one track to check, and it's 257kbps so maybe not good enough to count, for a lot of people. Of course, I wanted the CD with the liner notes, etc., which is why I preordered in the first place.

It's really hard to say which was first. The moment Amazon started auto-rip, every CD I had previously purchased retroactively became auto-rip. BTW: Amazon MP3s are variable bitrate, cycling up to the codec max of 320Kbps. The 257Kbps you saw was a brief snapshot in time. I must say though, when playing them on my Sony Blu-Ray player, half the fun is watching the bitrate number fluctuate wildly.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It's really hard to say which was first. The moment Amazon started auto-rip, every CD I had previously purchased retroactively became auto-rip. BTW: Amazon MP3s are variable bitrate, cycling up to the codec max of 320Kbps. The 257Kbps you saw was a brief snapshot in time. I must say though, when playing them on my Sony Blu-Ray player, half the fun is watching the bitrate number fluctuate wildly.
    Yeah, it might be the first CD you purchased from Amazon. Hard to believe "My Favorite Headache" was mine but it could be. If that's the case, still, what was the first CD you purchased from Amazon? That's really my question: what's the first album listed there?

The first one listed is VDGG, Pawn Hearts, 9/7/2000. I wouldn't have guessed that was the first album I purchased through Amazon, but the date seems right for about the time I started ordering stuff from them. Next up is Radiohead's Kid A.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The 1st one it shows me is a single track "Threnody in X", a track from the X Files movie soundtrack X Files - The Score that I bought for my wife in July of 1998. I still didn't have a computer at home by then, nor did I have any devices to play a file on, so the date has to be wrong.

edit: I looked at my Orders list rather than my music.amazon.com list, and on that same day apparently I made my first ever Amazon purchase order, the CD of X Files - The Score and the Genesis Archives box.

Mine was supposed to be Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut "Pronounced". Imagine my surprise when went to download it and realized it was taking an awful long time for a single LP download. So I check my downloads folder and realize it's about 34 tracks. Yep, I got the box set.

^

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A possibly interesting thing is that the album I just purchased is a preorder. But I can already also download from the Amazon Music thingy. What if I were to download the whole album, then cancel the preorder?
    Amazon will charge you for the download.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Amazon will charge you for the download.
    What? But I didn't ASK for the Auto Rip crap!! Oh well...

What? But I didn't ASK for the Auto Rip crap!! Oh well...
    I saw how it works when I ordered an auto-rip title and then temporarily cancelled it because I wanted to reconfigure the stuff I was ordering for shipping purposes. A $5.99 charge for the download appeared on my account, and after I re-ordered the CD I had to ask them to remove the charge (which they promptly did).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I've got DSOTM and WYWH Experience Editions from 2011. Great to be able to order CDs and listen to them right away; of course, when the CDs arrive they go straight into the storage rack, pausing only to read the sleeve notes...

Albert Ayler, Live in Greenwich Village, and Boards of Canada, Music Has the Right to Children, both from 1998.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The oldest on mine are two albums from November 2001, a Kings Singers' A Little Christmas Music and Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas Extraordinaire. The real avalanche of ordering began in late 2002/early 2003 when I switched jobs and got a bigger salary.

I used to download a lot of Autorips but then I got a better system in my home office. I rip my CDs lossless now. If I order a CD and can't wait to hear it I'll download the MP3s and then delete them when I get the physical CD, ripping that lossless. But Autorip is really handy for loading up my iDevices with MP3s. Saves the hassle of using iTunes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just noticed some of my Autorip albums are no longer available. The albums are still listed but if you click on it it says Sorry, content no longer available. F that - weren’t they trying to get people to pay for this?

Ember
    Julie Miller, Blue Pony, 11/06/1999

Can you discern any pattern or logic to the songs that are gone?

Presumably you still have a physical disc for every AutoRip title. My understanding is that Autorip is not a "purchase" of the MP3, but rather it simply adds the MP3 to your Amazon Music Library, and its use is governed by the TOS of Amazon Music. That TOS carefully avoids applying the word "purchase" to the MP3 version -- it just says it "will be added" to your library. At one point, though, it emphasizes that if you have downloaded an MP3 but have returned the physical CD for credit, you will be charged for the MP3.

I read the whole thing as saying that the MP3s are available the same way that Amazon Prime Music or Music Unlimited tracks are: You can listen or download through the AM app on your devices, but you an't copy them outside the app. And the only tracks Amazon can provide are those it's licensed for, which can change over time.

So my guess is that the tracks you've lost are those for which AM's license has expired, and you have no remedy because you never actually owned them. I've had many Music Unlimited tracks disappear (most recently some Pineapple Thief and Dear Hunter tracks), which is why I don't mix them in playlists with my own ripped/uploaded tracks.

^

I dont' care about the auto-rip stuff. this system doesn't like downloads for some reason. My HP system died so I bought a Dell. different animal. it equips dls for VLC. If I can change that, please tell me the fuck HOW.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I dont' care about the auto-rip stuff. this system doesn't like downloads for some reason. My HP system died so I bought a Dell. different animal. it equips dls for VLC. If I can change that, please tell me the fuck HOW.
    Do you mean when you download an album then launch one of the tracks it opens in VLC? If so, right-click over one of the files, select Open with... and choose the app you want to use and make it the default (forget if it asks or not). If you mean something else, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Julie Miller, Blue Pony, 11/06/1999

Can you discern any pattern or logic to the songs that are gone?

Presumably you still have a physical disc for every AutoRip title. My understanding is that Autorip is not a "purchase" of the MP3, but rather it simply adds the MP3 to your Amazon Music Library, and its use is governed by the TOS of Amazon Music. That TOS carefully avoids applying the word "purchase" to the MP3 version -- it just says it "will be added" to your library. At one point, though, it emphasizes that if you have downloaded an MP3 but have returned the physical CD for credit, you will be charged for the MP3.

I read the whole thing as saying that the MP3s are available the same way that Amazon Prime Music or Music Unlimited tracks are: You can listen or download through the AM app on your devices, but you an't copy them outside the app. And the only tracks Amazon can provide are those it's licensed for, which can change over time.

So my guess is that the tracks you've lost are those for which AM's license has expired, and you have no remedy because you never actually owned them. I've had many Music Unlimited tracks disappear (most recently some Pineapple Thief and Dear Hunter tracks), which is why I don't mix them in playlists with my own ripped/uploaded tracks.
    Yes, I figured it’s something like that. As I say, F Amazon for that!! I’ll AutoRip them a new one!

Yes, I figured it’s something like that. As I say, F Amazon for that!! I’ll AutoRip them a new one!
    You tell em! Go all gangsta on them.

March 2003: Renaissance - Turn of the Cards and Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin

The following month I bought a Canon Digital Camera (4mp, 3x optical zoon) for £350! AND a 128mb memory card for £25!! Presumably these were bargains at the time