Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Prisoner 50 years on

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    For example, a couple of episodes (four, I think) were added by network request after the show was initially completed in Britain. I'm not sure which they were except for "Living in Harmony;" the thing to look for is that they don't use the Portmeirion sets (except in stock footage) because the lease had expired. (These episodes may be part of the coherency problem, come to think of it.)
    I believe 'The Girl Who Was Death' and 'Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling' were the others. I think the joins do show on these episodes, in that they add little to the overall narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    This is what I would term "progressive TV."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I think of The Prisoner as a fascinating failure. There's a great deal to think about (and to love) in it, but it's kind of thrown together chaotically and never quite coheres.
    But in a way, that is exactly what progressive TV would have to be: Its ambition exceeds the artists' means, and even their abilities. And if it succeeded completely, one could see that as more a matter of insufficient ambition than of a perfect congruence of aims and ability. After all, which of these are considered prog bands: The Band and Little Feat, or Yes and VDGG? The bands whose artistic ambitions fell absolutely within their abilities, and who made multiple flawless (in the critics' estimation) albums? Or the bands who tried for something over the horizon, never quite got there, but their greatness was as much in the attempt as in the realization?