Thread: Move On Italian Pub and Record Store

Move On Italian Pub and Record Store

I was recently in Florence, Italy and came upon this place right on the Piazza overlooking the Baptistry and the famous Duomo supporting Brunelleschi's Dome - Move On Italian Pub and Record Store. I seriously entertained the idea that I had died (possibly while climbing the Dome earlier in the day!) and was now in Heaven, possibly the coolest record store on Earth, definitely a pot of gold beneath the rainbow on my Italian pilgrimage. The downstairs is a beautiful pub decorated all over with music posters and album covers including a Demetrios Stratos box set (!) Upstairs is the record store contained in separate rooms for rock and jazz and classical, all with windows thrown open to the piazza below, beautiful views of the Duomo, and chairs and lamps for reading and lounging. An entire section is devoted to Rock Progressivo Italiano, and despite the fact that I had another week and a half of touring ahead of me plus a long flight back to America at the end, I simply had to buy some vinyl at that moment, and bought a beautiful new reissue of Banco's first album, plus a reissue of Raccamandata Ricevuto Ritorno's Per Un Mondo di Crystallo. My love of Italy, begun as a child looking at pics of ancient Rome and castles in Tuscanny, etc., was coalesced and kicked into high gear by my discovery of Italian Progressive Rock, and finding this store was like a dream / fantasy come true. Check it out if you are ever in Florence! And check out the link:

https://moveonfirenze.com/en/pub-store/

A great business idea. Get a few beers into the record nerds before they hit the bins and they will spend, spend, spend!

I spent a week in Florence a few Summers ago but had no idea this place existed
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

It's an idea that's really taken off here in Yorkshire. A lovely little bar in Bradford called Record started the trend. Just like in Florence, it's quality beer downstairs, interesting vinyl on the first floor.

More recently, we have Slingshot & The Dog House in Leeds. Slingshot is more of a coffee bar but there's a selection of craft bottles & cans available & they also sell cds & cassettes. The Dog House has only just opened so I've not got there yet.

It's a genuinely fab concept but as Mascodagama suggests, don't get pissed, you'll bankrupt yourself!

^ I'm a Leeds boy myself, but haven't lived there for 30 years. In my day it was Jumbo and the big, now defunct, chains mostly. Sounds like there have been some interesting developments.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile