Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Star Trek: Discovery

So after a lot of delays, speculation, and ire regarding the CBS streaming service, Discovery premiered last night on CBS.

I am a life-long Trek fan as I know others are, but I am a pragmatic one. I am not a fanboy nor am I one that goes out of their way to be critical of every Trek related event that has occurred since the 60s. I was an avid watcher of TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Some of that has aged well, other parts not so much.

I struggled with Enterprise, but watched the first season and part of the second when it premiered. It was just too boring for me and re-tread of stories from other shows. But about 4 years ago and again a few months ago, I watched and re-watched the entire series of Enterprise. There are still issues, and the first season is still rather boring, but the show really started to come into it's own in the 3rd and 4th season, making it a shame it was canceled in the end.

Now onto Discovery. Now I have only seen it once, but I must say that it disappointed me on so many levels, the storyline, the awkward juxtaposition of a prequel setting with so many anachronism, watching 3 minutes of Klingon subtitles, the use of lens flare, the clumsy attempt between typical CBS primetime production and the J.J. Abrams slick 21st century bombast, and more. I couldn't find interest in any of the characters and wasn't drawn in at any point in the program. I will not be paying $5.99 to sign up on CBS streaming. Time will tell but I don't think the show will be successful and PPV aspect of it will exponentially keep traditional Trek fans away.

I suppose I have been spoiled of late with the plethora of TV that has solid writing and character development, along with a compelling premise and story lines. Once you add the legacy of Trek and the idea they are asking you to pay to watch, the pilot had to be special to lure one in after one show. It fell quite short imo.

Anyone else watch? I am curious to hear some other opinions of this highly anticipated program.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 09-25-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.