Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Did Jadzia and Kira ever hook up? Or was that just in my fervid imagination?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i have a question about Deep Space 9....
    the character Kira seems to act like a man most of the time-
    is her race uni-sexual? or is the actress like that?
    Another recurring Bajoran character was Kai Winn, a leader of the Bajoran religion surrounding the prophets of the celestial temple, otherwise known as the wormhole. She was played by Louise Fletcher, better known as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. She was definitely more feminine than Major/Colonel Kira, but then, one would expect a high ranking military officer to have masculine traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Kira's character was just a tough girl. Although in the Mirror Universe she did hook up with women...in the prime universe she was always after men with power.
    In the prime universe, the Bajorans were a pacifist race, easily conquered by the Kardashians. In the mirror universe, the Bajorans were the dominant race, with the humans being the slave race.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching an episode of the Original Series called "The Enemy Within." The episode where Kirk gets split in two. He's now grabbing bones by the neck and demanding a bottle of brandy.
    I liked it better watching him grab Yeoman Rand.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Did Jadzia and Kira ever hook up? Or was that just in my fervid imagination?
    I wouldn't think so, especially when Worf came along.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Another recurring Bajoran character was Kai Winn, a leader of the Bajoran religion surrounding the prophets of the celestial temple, otherwise known as the wormhole. She was played by Louise Fletcher, better known as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. She was definitely more feminine than Major/Colonel Kira, but then, one would expect a high ranking military officer to have masculine traits.

In the prime universe, the Bajorans were a pacifist race, easily conquered by the Kardashians. In the mirror universe, the Bajorans were the dominant race, with the humans being the slave race.
    Kai Winn is an old self serving woman. The way she teamed up with the Kardashian and even having a bit of a thing for each other, just to get power. They both got what they deserved in the end.

In the prime universe, the Bajorans were a pacifist race, easily conquered by the Kardashians.
    What'd they do, smother them with their asses?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I liked it better watching him grab Yeoman Rand.
    Yeah I was gonna say Kirk went all Weinstein on her. In today's climate a scene like that wouldn't work on prime time. But yeah, hell of an episode. Definitely a top 5 original series episode. Shatner's performance is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say Kirk went all Weinstein on her. In today's climate a scene like that wouldn't work on prime time. But yeah, hell of an episode. Definitely a top 5 original series episode. Shatner's performance is top notch.
    In her book she talked of having problems with an executive, much like today. She became an alcoholic but I'm not sure that caused her death some time ago. She was rather attractive but I think she was only in eight episodes plus the first movie.

She was briefly seen in The Search For Spock as the Enterprise pulls into space dock. She also made a brief appearance in Star Trek IV and a slighly larger role in Star Trek VI. She was also in an episode of Voyager which referenced the events of Star Trek VI.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    She was briefly seen in The Search For Spock as the Enterprise pulls into space dock. She also made a brief appearance in Star Trek IV and a slighly larger role in Star Trek VI. She was also in an episode of Voyager which referenced the events of Star Trek VI.

Bill
    Sorry Admiral, working down here in the engine room, we don't get to see much. Will have to watch those again and see if I can spot her.

I've never been a huge Trek fan but I'm enjoying this series. Of course the action and the modern special effects are great but I think the storylines pretty good too. And as each episode moves on I think the character development is doing well. And those that that cry about having to pay to see it well I haven't paid for one episode. If you are Savvy to computer viruses and malware then it's worth the risk to download the series on torrent sites. I did the same thing for the recent third season of Twin Peaks. Even if you get locked up in a ransom situation if you know what you're doing you can just close your browser and get rid of it. Anyways I'm going to continue watching and hope it grows more and last more than just the one season.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

[Mild spoilers ahead]

If I had been writing this series, I would have had final scene with the Discovery suddenly face to face with the Classic Enterprise with Captain Pike at the helm after the Spore Drive mis-hap...with the Big Reveal in the second half of Season 1 being that everything that we've been experiencing has been in the Mirror Universe. That would help explain why all the characters are just so unlikable.

Peter

Watching ST:TOS episode Amok Time. It's the episode where Spock returns to Vulcan to spawn. He goes berserk.

I thought season 1 was complete rubbish but (to my complete suprise) I am mildly positive about episode 1 of season 2.

Far from perfect yet and I still have issues with that action 'pod-scene'. At least this feels a bit like star trek again instead of the over the top action crap of season 1.

Thoughts?

The new TV series, the movies, I don't know, they just aren't hitting the spots for me. I'm ready to go back to DS9 and restart at episode one. That series was really good and got better every year. A lot going on there. Politics, grabbing for power, you name it.

DS9 hasn't aged well for me. I'm watching Babylon 5 on Comet now. Great show.

I never watched the orignal series as a kid, saw the odd episode in passing if my dad was watching it, but I was never interested in it. I've seen a few episodes over the years but ...nah... not my cup of tea, I found it boring. I watched and enjoyed most of the orignal films though.

I got on board with the Next Generation, now that was good. I enjoyed that immensely and watched it actively, in those days when you still had to watch at the time of broadcast or video it and watch it later.

Deep Space Nine bored the pants off me, I watched a few epsisode and then gave up.

Voyager. Loved it. Fantastic.

Enterprise. Also good but not as good as Voyager and Next Gen.

Discovery. Working my way through it now. It's okay, but not more than that. All the focus on the Klingon storyline all the time. It is more like a serialzed Star Trek film than an actual series

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I got on board with the Next Generation, now that was good. I enjoyed that immensely and watched it actively, in those days when you still had to watch at the time of broadcast or video it and watch it later
    When Gene Roddenberry was still alive and producing Next Generation, I found it a little dull...too conceptual and cerebral. It wasn't until Gene kicked the bucket and JJ Abrams took over that the show became exciting.

When Gene Roddenberry was still alive and producing Next Generation, I found it a little dull...too conceptual and cerebral. It wasn't until Gene kicked the bucket and JJ Abrams took over that the show became exciting.
    Agreed. Season one was awfull, save for a few episodes. Season two was still shakey but the show got really good from season 3 on.

Deep Space Nine bored the pants off me, I watched a few epsisode and then gave up.
    Like any series, the first season is shaky. But there is greatness further down the road. Also it can get a little darker than the other series in the franchise.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'll take your word for it. I know nothing about the production and behind the scenes stuff and crew and so on.

I'm not sure I read this right. Roddenberry died in 1991 and Abrams has only been involved for the three films since 2008 (and now pretty much moved on). And Roddenberry was "pretty much" supplanted by Rick Berman after the 1st season of TNG. In the end most everything associated with Star Trek (most of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and the TNG movies) from about 1989-2005 was "The Berman Era".

Now it's pretty much the Kurtzman/Fuller/CBS All Access show. In addition to Discovery, there are several new shows in the works including a show around the return of Picard.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm not sure I read this right. Roddenberry died in 1991 and Abrams has only been involved for the three films since 2008 (and now pretty much moved on). And Roddenberry was "pretty much" supplanted by Rick Berman after the 1st season of TNG. In the end most everything associated with Star Trek (most of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and the TNG movies) from about 1989-2005 was "The Berman Era".

Now it's pretty much the Kurtzman/Fuller/CBS All Access show. In addition to Discovery, there are several new shows in the works including a show around the return of Picard.
    My bad...delete JJ Abrams and insert Rick Berman. These days, I can't even remember where I put down my screwdriver 5 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

I did hear about Picard but I don't know how well that will go over. He just doesn't seem to be an interesting enough character. We'll see though.

I've enjoyed Discovery but like every Star Trek show, it has had its growing pains.

TOS was, like many, my first Trek show. It will always be my favorite.
    TNG took a couple of seasons to really hit its stride but once it did it was very good.
    DS9 was perhaps the best of all the Trek shows. Once Sisko lost the hair and gained the beard it was terrific. Once again, it took a couple of seasons to get going.
    VOY was good, but my least favorite Trek show
    ENT is terribly underrated. Should have gotten 7 seasons.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.