Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 177

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

  1. #51
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,516
    Voyager? Never heard of it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  2. #52
    I love all Trek. TOS is my favorite with DS9, TNG, ENT and VOY following. DS9 has probably been the best of the Trek shows in my opinion. I've seen every movie multiple times and agree that Into Darkness was not Trek at its best. They did rebound with Beyond. I watched the DSC's premier Sunday, and like most Trek shows I think it will take a few episodes or maybe even a season to really hit their stride. It took TNG and DS9 two seasons to really get going. Voyager started strong but had some weak seasons in the middle of their run. Enterprise got better every season so it was shame it got cancelled. I like much of DSC. It looks great. I'm not too worried about the retcon with the Burham character. Sybok was retconned as Spock's brother, Worf had a brother retconned as well.

    I thought Enterprise did a much better job of merging a 21st century show with something that looked like it could have taken place before the original series. DSC seems to have decided to throw all of that out the window by creating a ship that looks more modern than Voyager. I do think Star Trek would have been better served by placing this after the events of Voyager and the first Abrams film. Would have made for an interesting story to see what happens after the collapse of Romulus.

    While I like the look of the uniforms I don't like that they gravitated away from the traditional Red, Blue, Gold scheme. That's always been a part of Trek in every iteration. I don't mind the changes to the Klingons. They drastically changed with the first movie. When TNG premiered I wasn't interested. It didn't seem like Star Trek to me and it was a couple of years later when I realized I had misjudged the show. So I will give Discovery a chance. I won't pay CBS for it though. I will use alternative means but when the DVDs come out I will buy those because I do want to support the show. I have bought every other Trek series and films on DVD so I will do the same for Discovery.

    I think we'll have a much better idea of where this Star Trek is going after the first half of the season is over. Live Long and Prosper!

    Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

  3. #53
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So Star Trek Voyager is supposed to take place in the '80s?
    In the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the original crew traveled back in time to the 80s.

    There was a 2 or 3 part episode in which the Voyager crew traveled back in time to the 80s or 90s, and from the Delta to Alpha Quadrant. In that episode, Ed Begley Jr. played the villain who acquired 29th century technology, and became rich from it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  4. #54
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,174
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the original crew traveled back in time to the 80s.

    There was a 2 or 3 part episode in which the Voyager crew traveled back in time to the 80s or 90s, and from the Delta to Alpha Quadrant. In that episode, Ed Begley Jr. played the villain who acquired 29th century technology, and became rich from it.
    Ah, I see. But I really don't know much about the last two Star Trek series before this new one. One had that female captain, I saw a few episodes, and one I think I maybe saw one episode, and there was a Native American character, and maybe Scott Bacula? To be honest, the titles of these last two series were just too generic sounding, and I didn't really care to see them. I saw a decent amount of TNG but the original series is the best to me.

    But I'm interested to see what happens with this pay CBS service - I can't see how it can do anything but fail.

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    883
    I really enjoyed it and watched the first 2 eps. straight off. I haven't like Trek for years so was quite pleased that it wasn't as boring or stupid as I expected it might have been. Yep, there are inconsistencies but overall should be a good series, I'm subscribed to Netflix anyway so its a no brainer for me.

  6. #56
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So Star Trek Voyager is supposed to take place in the '80s?
    They've managed to work Beastie Boys music into at least 2 of the 3 new Kirk Star Trek movies.

    Newkirk?

    No, new Kirk.

  7. #57
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They've managed to work Beastie Boys music into at least 2 of the 3 new Kirk Star Trek movies.
    You gotta PAY!...For your right!...To Staarrr Trek!

  8. #58
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,102
    Can somebody post when the third episode is available on CBS Access. I'd like to see if the series improves after the pilot.

    Ah, I see. But I really don't know much about the last two Star Trek series before this new one. One had that female captain, I saw a few episodes, and one I think I maybe saw one episode, and there was a Native American character, and maybe Scott Bacula? To be honest, the titles of these last two series were just too generic sounding, and I didn't really care to see them. I saw a decent amount of TNG but the original series is the best to me.
    Star Trek: Enterprise was the series with Scott Bakula. I gave up after the first season but many TV critics and writers in nerddom have insisted that the fourth season was damn good. One of these days I'm going to have to track it down and watch it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  9. #59
    'aang 'hoot' Don Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Star Trek: Enterprise was the series with Scott Bakula. I gave up after the first season but many TV critics and writers in nerddom have insisted that the fourth season was damn good. One of these days I'm going to have to track it down and watch it.
    I watched most, if not all of this series (my memory banks aren't allowing for total recall on this) and I'd say the last season was very very good. Most, if not all the season followed an arc.

  10. #60
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,727
    Hmm. I loved Star Trek at one time, kinda lost a bit of interest with the 'Avengers' film, and haven't watched anything since. Wondered if it was me getting burned out on Star Trek, but the other night rewatched 'Insurrection', and dang if Donna Murphy's performance as Anij didn't bring tears to my eyes! She's one of only maybe 2 or 3 actors/actresses that has ever done that to me. Loved the film too, so at this point maybe I should actually watch the latest film, and... well no, don't know if I can spend the time to actually watch Discovery at this point.

  11. #61
    Member Zonefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If they wanted to make this Trekker happy they should have jettisoned the "takes place ten years before the original series" bullshit. I'd much rather see them pick up the story after Voyager ended. Let's go boldy forward.
    I said earlier I wasn't a Trekker, but I suppose I will let my inner-Trekker speak nonetheless! I think the reason it is set in this time period is to explore the Garth of Ivar storyline. I have heard rumor that Jason Isaacs captain character will eventually become that character after the Battle of Axanar. Garth was that insane former captain held in the asylum in the original series. The time periods generallly match up with agreed canon. Who knows, maybe we'll bump into Christopher Pike!

    Who knows...I'm along for the ride.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Parlin, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,401
    the original series was the best- ahead of it's time.
    TNG- it was good by i hated Riker. he just rubbed me the wrong way.
    DS9- never really seen it but i've been watching it recently of H&I. boring, no chemistry and it has a dark theme to it. boring aliens.
    Voyager- i did watch this originally, unllke the others- it had a story arc which made it interesting. their long journey home. it was funny too..
    Enterprise- probably the most sexiest of the series, the sex overtones were really obvious. but balance with the characters
    i didn't know about the new series- i don't watch network television anymore.

  13. #63
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,276
    For me it's STTOS too. It's like classic rock. It's still my first love.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the original series was the best- ahead of it's time.
    TNG- it was good by i hated Riker. he just rubbed me the wrong way.
    DS9- never really seen it but i've been watching it recently of H&I. boring, no chemistry and it has a dark theme to it. boring aliens.
    Voyager- i did watch this originally, unllke the others- it had a story arc which made it interesting. their long journey home. it was funny too..
    Enterprise- probably the most sexiest of the series, the sex overtones were really obvious. but balance with the characters
    i didn't know about the new series- i don't watch network television anymore.
    Discovery isn't on the CBS broadcast network, only the streaming service. DS9, at least the last 4 years of the series, had a huge story arc.

    Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

  15. #65
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    DS9, at least the last 4 years of the series, had a huge story arc.
    Hopefully it involved killing off any Ferengi on Deep Space Nine.

  16. #66
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    530
    DS9 had more than 1 story arc, but just the Bajoran/Cardassian conflict and the Wormhole/Prophets and Sisko being "The Emissary" was a story Arc that lasted throughout the entire series.

    The Dominion War just became the prominent story and after introduced, was the large focus of the show.

  17. #67
    Member Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, De.
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I really enjoyed it and watched the first 2 eps. straight off. I haven't like Trek for years so was quite pleased that it wasn't as boring or stupid as I expected it might have been. Yep, there are inconsistencies but overall should be a good series, I'm subscribed to Netflix anyway so its a no brainer for me.
    But you're still going to have to subscribe to CBS All Access, right Steve? Are you going for the $9.99 no commercial version or the $5.99 limited commercial version? I see you're in England and I hear that you get the show on Netflix over there, so forget my rant and enjoy.
    Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 10-01-2017 at 02:26 PM.

  18. #68
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    DS9 had more than 1 story arc, but just the Bajoran/Cardassian conflict and the Wormhole/Prophets and Sisko being "The Emissary" was a story Arc that lasted throughout the entire series.

    The Dominion War just became the prominent story and after introduced, was the large focus of the show.
    The last time I watched through the DS9 series, I was somewhat embarrassed by how hokey the show got in the last two seasons (Dominion War aspect aside). I was catching up on some episodes on Netflix and was reminded of this by watching some of the early shows. Characters like Vedek Winn and Gul Dukat became caricatures of themselves, which is unfortunate. Louise Fletcher did a great job with that character early on.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  19. #69
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    But you're still going to have to subscribe to CBS All Access, right Steve? Are you going for the $9.99 no commercial version or the $5.99 limited commercial version? I see you're in England and I hear that you get the show on Netflix over there, so forget my rant and enjoy.
    WTH, they give UK Netflix subscribers different content than we get here in the US? Screw that! Auntie CBS better give out to us US Netflix subscribers! Or it's Usenet...

  20. #70
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,210
    I think TNG had some great writing and interesting plot devices but I find I'm uninterested in revisiting it the way I can TOS, not that I do that often either. Being that TOS came out in the '60s I can overlook it's naivet. For me it basically comes down to being bored with a creationist view of the universe and no incarnation of Star Trek has veared from that angle.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    914
    By the time DS9 and Enterprise came along I thought they were beating a dead horse as they say. I had no interest anymore and this new series only has my interest as far as hearing what people say about it. Then I would consider if I wanted to bother with watching any of it.

  22. #72
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,276
    Watching TOS, The Enterprise Incident. Oooff, that female, Romulan commander is a stone fox.

  23. #73
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,276
    I'm at the part where the Romulan babe slaps Spock across the face.

  24. #74
    Lucky Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Schenectady NY USA
    Posts
    536
    Vic...?

    ...Vic!

    Don't leave us hanging like this, Vic...



    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

  25. #75
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,174
    Off topic but a funny story: for our honeymoon weekend after our wedding my wife and I stayed at the Carlisle Hotel in Manhattan where we lived. The morning after the wedding we found an envelope slipped under our door with the number of the room next to ours - it was mistakenly slid under our door. It was from Reading Rainbow and addressed to Levar Burton (for anyone who doesn't know, Burton hosted a public TV show promoting reading for children)! We were so tempted to knock on the door and deliver it, but we just slipped it under the door. We thought it was pretty cool that Geordie Laforge was staying in the room next to ours!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •