Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion US Tour February 2018

Marillion US Tour February 2018

Did I miss a thread about this?

Not a lot of time to squeeze in gigs. I'm surprised the paperwork is in order.

Think they hit the usual venues?

Hope so.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Has this been announced? I follow the band closely and this is the first I've heard of it.

Announcement on 2nd October, tickets on sale from 6th October.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's been announced that there'll be a tour, but I hadn't seen Mark's dates above before now - thanks! Definitely looking forward to this.

My interest in seeing Marillion live in the US has diminished a bit. It seems like every time they come around it's the same usual "greatest hits" type of setlist, with The Invisible Man, Neverland, Easter, Cover My Eyes, Three Minute Boy, Fantastic Place taking up a majority of the setlist space even though they've been played every trip over here. Last November, they did a good portion of FEAR and the rest was filled with those songs. I'd love to see them dig a bit deeper and give us material that may not have been played here yet.

Can't wait for this, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    My interest in seeing Marillion live in the US has diminished a bit. It seems like every time they come around it's the same usual "greatest hits" type of setlist, with The Invisible Man, Neverland, Easter, Cover My Eyes, Three Minute Boy, Fantastic Place taking up a majority of the setlist space even though they've been played every trip over here. Last November, they did a good portion of FEAR and the rest was filled with those songs. I'd love to see them dig a bit deeper and give us material that may not have been played here yet.
    I agree. While I think what we got in 2016 was similar to what they got in Europe, I've always felt since we miss out on a lot of tours they should give us at least tastes of what we missed here from "recent" albums when they didn't get to the US. StcBM, HItR, Somewhere Else, etc. But, I'm definitely grateful for the chance to connect with the band live, whatever the set list. And I have to say, the 2016 NYC show was very memorable due to it being election night. Insane, but the download makes for a good listen - definitely one where you want to crank it up during the banter! I'll never forget emerging into Times Square that night, seeing a stunned NYC trying to grasp what had happened.

i saw them in july. setlist: F E A R (in its entirety) • beyond you • easter • sounds that can't be made • real tears for sale • man of a thousand faces • king

only three songs that i had previously heard in a live setting. this was their most radical and uncompromising set to date with only one song that would pass as a crowd pleaser (“easter”). they do juggle their set about frequently during a string of live dates but i think that it's a safe bet to hope for some surprises this time around. i certainly expected much less and walked away enthused again.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree. While I think what we got in 2016 was similar to what they got in Europe, I've always felt since we miss out on a lot of tours they should give us at least tastes of what we missed here from "recent" albums when they didn't get to the US. StcBM, HItR, Somewhere Else, etc. But, I'm definitely grateful for the chance to connect with the band live, whatever the set list. And I have to say, the 2016 NYC show was very memorable due to it being election night. Insane, but the download makes for a good listen - definitely one where you want to crank it up during the banter! I'll never forget emerging into Times Square that night, seeing a stunned NYC trying to grasp what had happened.
    A surreal evening I'd say, great show though...
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I still had a good time at the Philly show (though the amount of fans who could not stop leaving their seats to get drinks or use the bathroom was honestly staggering). The band always performs exceptionally well and h is a great front-man. But yeah, a journey into those lesser-played albums would excite me more than anything. I love being surprised at shows by an obscure song or two, and it makes each tour feel more unique whereas their past shows all have a feeling of similarity between them due to their song choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    A surreal evening I'd say, great show though...
    It was a weird experience, taking moments to glance at CNN and figure out what the deal was, then emerging into Ocean Cloud for 15 minutes, then checking again. Dinner before the show was interesting too, with CNN up on the screens where we ate. Well, at least I remember where I was when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i saw them in july. setlist: F E A R (in its entirety) • beyond you • easter • sounds that can't be made • real tears for sale • man of a thousand faces • king

only three songs that i had previously heard in a live setting. this was their most radical and uncompromising set to date with only one song that would pass as a crowd pleaser (“easter”). they do juggle their set about frequently during a string of live dates but i think that it's a safe bet to hope for some surprises this time around. i certainly expected much less and walked away enthused again.
    That's a cool set, HITR songs are incredibly under-represented in their setlists for some reason. They did a good portion of FEAR the last time they were here so I wouldn't mind if they just did The Leavers (which has not been done in the US yet) and Living In FEAR again and filled in the rest with back catalog.

(though the amount of fans who could not stop leaving their seats to get drinks or use the bathroom was honestly staggering).
    I blame the aging prostates.

HITR songs are incredibly under-represented in their setlists for some reason.
    For a while I was really hoping for a HITR-heavy US tour, but I guess that was expecting a lot. Yeah, not sure what if anything from that I've seen them do live, would love a performance of the whole thing.

That's a cool set, HITR songs are incredibly under-represented in their setlists for some reason. They did a good portion of FEAR the last time they were here so I wouldn't mind if they just did The Leavers (which has not been done in the US yet) and Living In FEAR again and filled in the rest with back catalog.
    Would really like to see them do The Leavers here too - in fact, I think they'll give us that. As far as back catalog, I'd love for them to lean heavily on the few albums previous to FEAR, but they never seem to do that.

Dates? What? Where did they go??

I've always felt since we miss out on a lot of tours they should give us at least tastes of what we missed here from "recent" albums when they didn't get to the US. StcBM, HItR, Somewhere Else, etc. But, I'm definitely grateful for the chance to connect with the band live, whatever the set list.
    My feeling exactly. Philly only had a few songs overlap between '12 and '16, but they took a big chunk of set time due to the Marbles epics (ok to change up, much as I love 'em) and identical encores (ditto). Someone pointed out that the backing vids were probably a key reason for the sameyness of the sets last fall, and I'd be happy to leave them out in exchange for the flexibility to pull out a "Rich" or "The Other Half" now and then.

this is exciting similarly hadn't heard about this at all until now. kinda hope they come somewhere with seats as I was not much a fan of some of the people jostling us last time but if they come anywhere nearby I will be happy.

As someone who works on the backing videos I can definitely say that the setlist selection has nothing to do with the available vids :-)

Would really like to see them do The Leavers here too - in fact, I think they'll give us that. As far as back catalog, I'd love for them to lean heavily on the few albums previous to FEAR, but they never seem to do that.
    Yup, my favorite track on the album. They need to do it this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Dates? What? Where did they go??

No actual dates have been announced yet, just the date that the announcement about the dates is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    No actual dates have been announced yet, just the date that the announcement about the dates is going to be.
    Oh right. That's what I get for getting too momentarily excited to read properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kennedy View Post
    As someone who works on the backing videos I can definitely say that the setlist selection has nothing to do with the available vids
    Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll call that good news (and fwiw I wasn't dismissing or disparaging the vids above, either).

I wish they'd do a broad North American tour for a change, not just a few major cities. They haven't been to my neck of the woods since the first tour with Hogarth.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Like the Monty Python skit:

"Are you the man with the new brain?"

"No, I'm here to tell you that he's on his way."

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I wish they'd do a broad North American tour for a change, not just a few major cities. They haven't been to my neck of the woods since the first tour with Hogarth.
    Probably not going to happen. Cruise to the Edge is Feb. 3 ni Florida so my guess is they run up the eastern part of the coast up to about Boston in the two weeks or so following that.