Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone Magazine Up For Sale

Rolling Stone Magazine Up For Sale

PE's favorite media whipping boy is up for sale. I was a reader/subscriber into the 90s though it drove me nuts at times, especially with their myopic reviews of prog and hard rock in the 70s. But there were plenty of acts that they turned me onto, plenty of injustices uncovered, and man, some truly great writing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/b...e.html?mcubz=3
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

i bid $0.25

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have $0.56 in my pocket, plus a clump of lint. I'll go in on it with you, BravadoNJ, but you have to do all the work.

RS was a major part of my youth, but they jumped the shark about four decades ago.

They started going down hill when they left the newspaper format.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I remember a few Jerry Garcia interviews where he'd tell the magazine he'd cleaned up and it was all about the music from here on out. And they'd print that shit again and again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember Lester Bangs announcing the death of rock 'n roll over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    They started going down hill when they left the newspaper format
    Yeah, '74-ish, iirc, when I quit reading it.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 09-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Put a knife in that one sided, cliquey, Absolut vodka ad laden rag.....

Oh, you WISH Absolut Vodka would sponsor PE!

Uh, whatever....

Ya Ding Dong!

A great publication for about three decades; the music coverage declined with rock's fortunes and it settled into a classic rock/dad rock focus by the early 2000s. However, the political/contemporary issues writing became better than ever during this time, and in the late 2000s found excellent younger journalists like Mike Hastings and Matt Tabbi.

Cue the childish whining about how bad RS is/was, based purely on the ludicrous premise that they were bad because they either didn't cover or gave bad reviews to some of the music that one likes.

Fuck the whining.

IMO it had about 10 good years if that and then morphed into the shite that's been around for decades.

I do remember though, that before I knew that Madison, WI was anything at all other than the state capital, the still-relevant RS published in 1970 an article called "Madison, Wisconsin - The Third Coast" that I found very interesting. Who knew that a few years later I'd move here from out east to play in a band with Madison musicians and still be here 46 years later.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It started becoming more of a fashion and general pop culture mag and less about music around '80 or so, and Matt Taibbi can smooch my bunghole.

A homogenized rag for revisionist metrosexuals.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    .. on the ludicrous premise that they were bad because they either didn't cover or gave bad reviews to some of the music that one likes.
    I don't begrudge them this, nor the fact that nothing they cover these days holds any interest for me. I'm fully embracing the "old fart out of touch with current trends hey you kids get off my lawn" persona. I just think RS isn't relevant anymore -- the world has changed a lot in 50 years, so RS hasn't got any hippie cred left.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don't begrudge them this, nor the fact that nothing they cover these days holds any interest for me. I'm fully embracing the "old fart out of touch with current trends hey you kids get off my lawn" persona. I just think RS isn't relevant anymore -- the world has changed a lot in 50 years, so RS hasn't got any hippie cred left.
    True, but most hippies haven't got any hippie cred left, either.

Cue the childish whining about how bad RS is/was, based purely on the ludicrous premise that they were bad because they either didn't cover or gave bad reviews to some of the music that one likes.
    Indeed. They had some great writers and features to show for through the years. And sometimes that's actually more than what could be said of many others.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For me they jumped the shark when they left the black and white format.

Just kidding. In order to keep selling they had to write to their audience & we, over the years, left that demographic. Sort of like Howard Stern turned upside-down: he is ALWAYS talking about sex & farts & generations of young boys enter, & then eventually leave his demographic.

I get most of my music news right here on PE. Plus a few laughs along the way.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

True, but most hippies haven't got any hippie cred left, either.
    Yep. The only cred the hippies have left is in intent, not execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Indeed. They had some great writers and features to show for through the years. And sometimes that's actually more than what could be said of many others.
    Yeah, but they never had a Prog God award, so how damn relevant could they be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Indeed. They had some great writers and features to show for through the years.
    And we read Playboy for the articles too