Thread: Steps Ahead (a/k/a Steps)

Steps Ahead (a/k/a Steps)

A couple of weeks ago, I came upon an interesting record that I had never seen or heard of before and that caught my eye. It was a Japanese pressing of a band called Steps, and the title of the record was Step by Step. What piqued my interest were the band members, whose names and pictures were on the OBI: Michael Brecker, Steve Gadd, Eddie Gomez, Michael Mainieri, and Don Grolnick. At a mere $5, it was too intriguing to pass up, so I scooped it up. Though I'm not a huge fan of Brecker's playing (I find it grating and a bit over the top at times), I'm really loving this record. Great fusion-y jazz (or perhaps jazzy fusion is more apt)! I've since picked up a couple of their other titles, Steps Ahead and Smokin' at the Pit, which I think are even better than Step by Step. Smokin at the Pit really smokes! That one is my favorite so far.

Any other fans? Detractors? What other titles are good? Anyone familiar with Modern Times? Apparently, they took a more electric approach on it. (Tony Levin plays on it as well.) (Speaking of musicians who have played with PG, apparently Rachel Z was a Steps Ahead member at one point as well.)

Here are a couple of samples, just in case you haven't heard them before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fg7RVqLeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBAJ8P9y4lE
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 02-06-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Hey - haven't seen you around much - I always liked your posts (because I agreed with them )

I'll check this out.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

^^Hey John, I've been around, but mostly in lurking status. As is obvious from my lame attempt above to post a couple of Youtube clips, you can see that I haven't yet really warmed up to the new site. Check out Steps! I think you'll dig them as you and I tend to have similar (and impeccable) taste.

Oh hell yes! THey were a GREAT band in the day. I found them following Mike Manieri. Have a few on vinyl and some on CD. Saw them in Hew Haven ages ago. Victor Biey on bass and Steve Smith drumming. Got a chance to say hello to Manieri, tell him how much I dug his solo album Wanderlust and asked him when he was going to release it on cd. It came out a while later. it was rad!! Of course because I asked hm he released it

I quite like Modern Times. It is more techy sounding, but still good musically, not fuzak.

IIRC Magnetic is a nice one from them

then N.Y.C. is brash and noisy... if ya go in for that kinda stuff
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Steps were much more to my taste as a acoustic band
    Smokin' In The Pit Step By Step Paradox and Steps Ahead all fine albums

Once they started going electric I got allergic ... smooth tone sequenced stuff and oh that ewi what god awful innovation

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Once they started going electric I got allergic ... smooth tone sequenced stuff and oh that ewi what god awful innovation
    I don't know ... The Yellowjackets have put it to good ( musical ) use over the years ...

Mike Manieri definitely sets the mood for this band with his vibe playing. Not your usual vibe sound. I like the following of their albums in this order

- Vibe
    - Live in Tokyo
    - Yin Yang
    - Magnetic
    - NYC
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

yep some killer stuff, "smokin at the pit" has some wonderful stuff going on. of the studio albums i always liked debut self titled one from 1983 with eliane elias playing and singing on it.

Love everything up to and including Modern Times. Smokin in the Pit and the Elektra/Musician debut were both hugely influential on my growth as a musician back in the early-mid 80s. If you like these, you would also find of interest the "Blue Montreux" sides included with the new Brecker Brothers box set; the band is a proto-version of Steps, with Mainieri, Warren Bernhart, and the brothers B, but with the really interesting rhythm section of Steve Jordan and Tony Levin.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    yep some killer stuff, "smokin at the pit" has some wonderful stuff going on. of the studio albums i always liked debut self titled one from 1983 with eliane elias playing and singing on it.
    No singing on that album as far as I can remember. Some good tunes, and good sound. Bought it way back in 84' or '85.

I only have the debut and the original version of Blue Montreux. I used to have Smokin' at the Pit on cassette and it was aptly titled! Great band! Or I should say "bands"...

Anybody who has read the "God I Really Hate Jazz" thread in the OT forum knows that I'm a huge Michael Brecker fan. I cried like a baby the day he passed away.

Lino
    Back around 1979-80-81 I saw Steps live at this jazz club, and they put on a really cool show. The band then was Peter Erskine, Michael Manieri, Eddie Gomez and Michael Brecker. Don't know any of their recorded music, but that's the way it is with me, I go to shows first, and ask questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    oh that ewi what god awful innovation
    Chuck Greenberg was pretty good with his Lyricon.

Steps Ahead had some great material, early on, but they did tend later on toward the aforementioned "fuzak."

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    No singing on that album as far as I can remember. Some good tunes, and good sound. Bought it way back in 84' or '85.
    my bad . i retract my statement and say she played good keys and piano . lol

I still like their Magnetic album although it does sound dated in spots.

Big fan since the first album here.

I saw them on the Magnetic tour with Mike Stern on guitar.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Though, as I wrote above, I don't always love Brecker's playing, this is incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TviZl7SvnPg

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I still like their Magnetic album although it does sound dated in spots.
    this to me is the problem with them when they started adding electronic instruments they made their sound locked into the period.