Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited, Solo Gems & GTR 2018 Tour de Force!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
    Thank you Progman. My tix are on the way.
    [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

February 22 at the UC Theater in Berkeley. Ugh! That's quite a comedown vs previous shows at the Warfield in Dan Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Prim8Pal View Post
    February 22 at the UC Theater in Berkeley. Ugh! That's quite a comedown vs previous shows at the Warfield in Dan Francisco
    Sort of, but that's a nice theater. My last time there was KC opening for Tool, whenever that was.

I doubt he'll draw much of a crowd from Berkeley, though.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Gotta be more dates!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    To be honest, the setlist except for the GTR tune is very similar than the last tour(last Feb for me)...he needs to refresh and get the old band back together for SM and Defector
    How do you know that? The tour hasn't started yet and the recent set lists during August 2017 from Australia are mostly Genesis re-visited. I assume that's because he was playing shorter shows at that time. Just gotta look at setlist.fm to see what he has been playing.

If your in the "Hackett Camp" then maybe you would know what he is planning? The full shows earlier in 2017 would satisfy me and I bet you Howe shows up at the Orpheum on Broadway show. I do wish he would do more solo or knockoff band material than the regurgitation of so many Genesis songs. Hearing SM and Defector in totality WOULD be a much more interesting show and make for something that would be an immediate must see. I agree with you on that!

Steve has re-recorded "When The Heart Rules the Mind" with Steve Rothery:

“I always loved the track," Hackett told Prog. I think it is the strongest thing Steve Howe and I wrote together and I always wanted to do a version where I would sing it myself with the use of today's production techniques. I'm also very pleased to have my friend Steve Rothery on board doing additional guitar. I'm looking forward to taking my band on tour. It'll be great to play both North and South America again celebrating Genesis, solo and GTR!”

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Steve has re-recorded "When The Heart Rules the Mind"
    At last!

Wow. His vocals sound great, there.

More importantly, I love that he's continuing to collaborate with Steve Rothery. Would really like to see them do an album together.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. His vocals sound great, there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hackett
    ...I always wanted to do a version where I would sing it myself with the use of today's production techniques.
    Nuff said.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Not a huge fan of the song, but that sounds a lot better than I thought it would!

And, yeah, a Hackett/Rothery album would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Nuff said.
    Right. I read that, too, before I listened. I've never really been much of a fan of the way he usually processes his vocals, but I thought they sounded more natural, here. I've no doubt that they've been "produced," but I was impressed by the end product.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Right. I read that, too, before I listened. I've never really been much of a fan of the way he usually processes his vocals, but I thought they sounded more natural, here. I've no doubt that they've been "produced," but I was impressed by the end product.
    Ditto. Whatever tuning trickery is being used has been handled well. But then again Steve (and Roger King) has had lots of time to perfect it.

Just talked with Steve yesterday. Lovely as ever. I'll do my best to have it up asap!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Just talked with Steve yesterday. Lovely as ever. I'll do my best to have it up asap!
    I hope you asked him why he's skipping the entirety of Middle America on this tour for some reason!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've no doubt that they've been "produced,"
    today's production techniques aside, any icky eightiesisms would no longer be present (if there were any, can't remember, won't bother to check).

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I hope you asked him why he's skipping the entirety of Middle America on this tour for some reason!
    It's always the same reason: ask the promoters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Steve has re-recorded "When The Heart Rules the Mind" with Steve Rothery:

“I always loved the track," Hackett told Prog. I think it is the strongest thing Steve Howe and I wrote together and I always wanted to do a version where I would sing it myself with the use of today's production techniques. I'm also very pleased to have my friend Steve Rothery on board doing additional guitar. I'm looking forward to taking my band on tour. It'll be great to play both North and South America again celebrating Genesis, solo and GTR!”

Where is Rothery? Is he the middle solo copying Howe exactly?

And is it a drum machine I hear?

Even a song as great as this was surely transcended by those production techniques of today.

Unreal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

What is the point of bringing Rothery in when he has to leave his signature sound in the guitar case?

Yeah, the vocals are nice. But as a whole, this is sooo sterile. Why not just add new vocals to the old recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Why not just add new vocals to the old recording?
    Or perhaps even ponder the completely wild option of leaving it alone altogether?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Or perhaps even ponder the completely wild option of leaving it alone altogether?
    OK, now you're just talking crazy!

This to me is what I was originally hoping the GTR would sound like-- Layers of guitars that actually sound like guitars, and production that doesn't squash all the grandeur. This is as good a vocal as I've ever heard Steve do.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It's always the same reason: ask the promoters.
    Wasn't last years answer something like "we try to play each region every other year"...apparently for middle America it is now every 3rd (or 4th) time around?

Hmm. Not too different from the original, to me, except of course for the vocals. Steve's are fine here, but I didn't mind Max's either. I hear little touches, like before the acoustic guitar, and at the end, but overall, not too different.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Makes me wonder if Howe has considered re-making something from the GTR days. He certainly acknowledged the 2nd GTR album quite a bit on his recent anthology.