Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Schnellertollermeier album Rights

As I eagerly await an email from Bandcamp on Friday, could someone elaborate on the "Death to false Schnellertollermeier prog" line? I've seen that on Steve's sig file but wasn't sure if:

a) It is saying that Schnellertollermeier is a false prog god and should be struck down
    b) All of the bands that copy and imitate Schnellertollermeier should be struck down
    c) Schnellertollermeier is annoying to those fans with a limited comfort zone
    d) Their name is too odd and should be something better like Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Jeff

That guy needs a bigger pedalboard!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^ Or, "it's just a line having a little fun playing off the well-known "Death to false Metal" line, with a current very technical Prog-Rock band inserted instead.

Bah, then it should read "Death to false Sonar Prog"

I hate to think that I lump those two bands together simply because of geography. There is a bit of a syncopated, highly-technical aspect to them, but Sonar and Schnellertollermeier are really not that similar IMO

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    As I eagerly await an email from Bandcamp on Friday, could someone elaborate on the "Death to false Schnellertollermeier prog" line?
    Well, it was obviously and completely meant in jest.

I came up with that line when bantering on PE about something very proggy prog that had raised the hackles of Richard (Scrotum Scissor) and I came up with that line. But I don't remember what it was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Or, "it's just a line having a little fun playing off the well-known "Death to false Metal" line, with a current very technical Prog-Rock band inserted instead.
    yes. Thank you.

Bah, then it should read "Death to false Sonar Prog"
    But "Schnellertollermeier prog" is funnier and more obscure.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Well, it was obviously and completely meant in jest.

<snip>

But "Schnellertollermeier prog" is funnier and more obscure.
    Indeed! Although for it to really be obscure, they would need to have all of their stuff go OOP and then get reissued in a gatefold mini-LP on Taichika.

Damn, this album is good...

Damn, this album is good...
    Yes it is! I Just bought me a copy at Bandcamp - I Like how I have a copy on my phone now to listen anywhere. The title track is pretty outstanding.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yes it is! I Just bought me a copy at Bandcamp - I Like how I have a copy on my phone now to listen anywhere.
    I got it off Bandcamp too - I like that I can choose to pay a little extra. It gives me great pleasure to know that Steve could supersize his next Value Meal.

The title track is pretty outstanding.
    hehe - to me they're all pretty equal, chiefly because each song seems to take a different approach. It'll take a few more listens to digest it properly, but Praise/Eleven has a more minimalist feel, whereas Round gets pretty heavy. And the title track....

Jeff

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened on bandcamp today, whole album is outstanding, i'll buy it next weekend when a bunch of other bandcamp releases come out, Thumpermonkey and Trojan Horse.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Had a couple of plays so far...

...it's pretty good, innit?

A big 10-4 on that, good buddy
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Jumped straight into the top 5 for the year for me, I love it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Superb album.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I have never heard even a note of Schnellertollermeier's music but I just ordered this new one. Hoping to be suprised.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I liked the first half of "Rights" and thought the second didn't do enough to justify its incoherence, but then I don't like avant as a rule, so that's not news.
    But we never like what we don't know. Usually we don't dislike what we don't know either. We either leave it alone, or learn about it before addressing it.

Of course, it's still wonderful to have a clearly authoritative voice assert of "incoherence" to others who actually do know. Know about its historical context and stylistic conception (seeing how 'avant' is in fact not a style), its preconditions as points of development, its connotations in contemporary music as a whole.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Schnellertollermeier will be featured in next week's edition of Jazz Now on BBC Radio 3, 6th November at 23:00 UK time:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09d00xf
    Live gig from the Cheltenham jazz festival.
    I know that the TV content on the BBC iPlayer is blocked outside the UK, but I think think the radio content is available everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    [...]
    I see you're working through my back catalog. Enjoy!
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

^ It's not that enjoyable. But someone has to deal with the issue at hand, man.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh no! Now babyblaue-seiten.de is worshipping at the altar of false prog too, having made Rights “album of the month”:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_16897.html
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Ordered the disc 7 October.......cricket cricket cricket
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Now babyblaue-seiten.de is worshipping at the altar of false prog too, having made Rights “album of the month”
    Whether or not I agree with given recensions, their general sense of judgement in reviewing (especially) new stuff is quite trustworthy. I really like this site. But yes, they must be coerced into separating false from true prog. And eat'em hot-prog-dog while writing prog-blog in the fog-smog awaiting gog-magog arriving in the shape of a wog-hog wearing clogs.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Wow, congrats! Great album.

The Yazz Ahmed & Hiffen Orchestra albums on that list aren't bad either.
    Ian