Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: 5uu's - Hunger's Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    To a first approximation, no. Genuine art is allowed to challenge this threshold, when it stands in the way of our appreciation of something of value. But the challenge itself is at most a necessary means to that end.
    Puzzling, though, that most contributors in this thread seem to be quite content with and appreciative of this particular 'challenge' in question. Of course, there were those Bill Haley enthusiasts who wished for In the Court of the Crimson King to never have happened, seeing as it challenged a threshold which to them was not in the way of their appreciation of something of value. But I guess KC simply just had to pop up in accordance with imaginable music which only they and they alone could possibly play.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Dave and Bob - If you guys could autograph this album in pepperoni pizza grease, that would be great. I would be even willing to order the pie. If not, the album still sort of works as is, so don't stress over it.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Maybe it's still on a reel, somewhere ? Would love to hear it !
    I seriously doubt the tapes (from what - about 1991???) even still exist. We were probably using some leftover, previously re-used, partially bulk erased, second-hand tape which I edited together from the rubbish bin anyway.

x
    BD
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 09-19-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I seriously doubt the tapes (from what - about 1991???) even still exist. We were probably using some leftover, previously re-used, partially bulk erased, second-hand tape which I edited together from the rubbish bin anyway.

x
    BD
    I can imagine the mess with tapes for you guys! - in my experience with my friends over the years we must have ping-ponged down 100 times over so many tapes on the ol' Tascam 4 track... what a muddy and wonderful mess that was. In the end we had a badass new Hiss album!

I just received a used copy in the mail today and listened to it this afternoon. Great stuff! I can totally see the Yes-esque threads (with a twist) woven in here and there. Glad I found this CD.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I just received a used copy in the mail today and listened to it this afternoon. Great stuff! I can totally see the Yes-esque threads (with a twist) woven in here and there. Glad I found this CD.
    Guy - Not sure if you are hip to Bob's solo albums, but as a collective whole they are some of my absolute favorite music on Planet Bob. I can't recommend them enough - the creativity and performance level is truly off the charts. The newest album Arx Pilosa is a fantastic place to start, but The Skull Mailbox still remains my utmost favorite (if I had to choose). Sorry to derail, back to uuuuu.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Guy - Not sure if you are hip to Bob's solo albums, but as a collective whole they are some of my absolute favorite music on Planet Bob. I can't recommend them enough - the creativity and performance level is truly off the charts. The newest album Arx Pilosa is a fantastic place to start, but The Skull Mailbox still remains my utmost favorite (if I had to choose). Sorry to derail, back to uuuuu.
    Thanks for the recommendations, Frankie. As I was listening to Hunger's Teeth I was thinking I need to explore Bob's stuff. I don't believe I've heard any of it.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Skull Mailbox & Lawn Ornament get my hearty recommendation. I saw Bob & Maggie at RIO this weekend, they were mainly there for Slapp Happy, good people.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, Frankie. As I was listening to Hunger's Teeth I was thinking I need to explore Bob's stuff. I don't believe I've heard any of it.
    I can help out in that department, there are a few songs from each of my albums here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm

And my thoughts about the first 8 of my solo albums with a few tracks from each:
    http://bdblog.bdrak.com/let-us-examine-the-evidence/

And to keep it from completely going off the UUs track, one can hear songs from Hunger's Teeth and Crisis in Clay here too:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/others/5uus.htm
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 09-20-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Skull Mailbox & Lawn Ornament get my hearty recommendation. I saw Bob & Maggie at RIO this weekend, they were mainly there for Slapp Happy, good people.
    I agree with your picks... fantastic - but I gravitate to Medallion Animal Carpet the most. Some heavy duty stuff on that one.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I agree with your picks... fantastic - but I gravitate to Medallion Animal Carpet the most. Some heavy duty stuff on that one.
    Ok, next one to pick up then
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I enjoyed and learned something from everything I saw at the festival, in one way or another.
    Nice to meet you again too!

Looks like I might just have to get 'em all!
    <sig out of order>

I can help out in that department, there are a few songs from each of my albums here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm

And my thoughts about the first 8 of my solo albums with a few tracks from each:
    http://bdblog.bdrak.com/let-us-examine-the-evidence/

And to keep it from completely going off the UUs track, one can hear songs from Hunger's Teeth and Crisis in Clay here too:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/others/5uus.htm
    Thanks, Bob - I'll check those out when I get home tonight.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    let me be the first to give my thumb's up to the Teeth!

Great album. I remember DKerman sending me a cassette of 'some stuff' he was working on and being pretty damn immediately blown away.
    Seconded. A true masterpiece. This along with Crisis being my two favourite 5uu albums. Genius
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I've decided to pull out the entire 5UU's register for some deep listening this upcoming weekend. I realize that I've been mostly playing my odd faves from the U discog these past 10 years or so, and that I need to rehear a lot of it from a fresh standpoint. It's true what many here have pointed out about Clay, of course - it's an impeccably dense work. Yet this was the first "progressive" title I actually saw firmly lauded in The Wire mag during their otherwise most intensely cynical 'anti-rock' phase of the mid- to late 90s. In a sense the UU's were also somewhat of an antithesis to many of those misguided stereotypes about the allagedly stagnant status of these sorts of ideas and concepts in rock - although they certainly weren't all merely stereotypes either.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Skull Mailbox & Lawn Ornament get my hearty recommendation.
    Yes! Lawn is the perfect portal to the wonderful and frightening BD cosmos.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    “Under the radar”? I remember this one being quite fêted upon release.
    yes, thats why I took the leap back then.
    havent played it since
    I was not thrilled... not my cuppa... at least back then
    perhaps a revisit is in order after 20 years...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Puzzling, though, that most contributors in this thread seem to be quite content with and appreciative of this particular 'challenge' in question.
    If I am reading this correctly, you are claiming that a thread devoted to Hunger's Teeth is getting contributions mostly from people who appreciate and enjoy its genre. Why, that's so crazy it just might be true!
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    you are claiming that a thread devoted to Hunger's Teeth is getting contributions mostly from people who appreciate and enjoy its genre. Why, that's so crazy it just might be true!
    Yup, hoy-hoy! Although the "genre" in question here is progressive rock music - from the time this title was released. As opposed to, say, from 1973.

What's perhaps even truer and even more amazing, though, is that these contributing people (most of them anyway), even own up to the somewhat detailed insights as to just why they care for it - bot musically and historically. In contrast to, for instance, checking out a soundclip of something they basically can't relate directly to and somehow simply decide upon a judgement by immediate gut instinct.

the music is wonderfully twisted... wish they were an instrumental band

I never could stomach much of Yes precisely because of Jon Anderson
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the music is wonderfully twisted... wish they were an instrumental band
    Added to my "Dubious Reviews" collection! My fave Hunger's Teeth review was "A waste of plastic", while own music someone once described in 2007 as "Way off-kilter Americana singer/songwriter fingerstyle alt-rockabilly pretentious crap!" Exclamation mark included. Actually I don't have a Dubious Reviews collection, but sometimes think of starting one, but in general the reviews have got less nasty over the decades...am I doing something WRONG?

But seriously, if you really do like the music but think the singer sounds too much like that guy you can't stomach, there are really just a few bits here and there where I could imagine the comparison, especially the opening track on which I was still trying to figure out how to sing meself. On the other hand, this album was so long ago (we were recording it at least 25 years ago) it almost seems like it was made by someone else!

yrs, etc,
    BD

[QUOTE=Bob Drake;735554]in general the reviews have got less nasty over the decades...am I doing something WRONG?/QUOTE]

well, you've got a lot of fans here Bob
    I'm glad that you posted, even if it was to try to belittle my opinion
    as for my "less nasty" review... I used to be much more nasty but now I try to find the good in things even when there's a deal-breaker element for me.
    I am the lone critic in this thread, so you will no doubt feel validated in the level of support you will get here.
    Honestly, I really *do* think the music is well done and I would be yet another drooling fanboy myself if it was instrumental.
    I applaud all adventurous musicians... even if their music does not work for me personally

HTH

[QUOTE=MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER;735565]
    in general the reviews have got less nasty over the decades...am I doing something WRONG?/QUOTE]

well, you've got a lot of fans here Bob
    I'm glad that you posted, even if it was to try to belittle my opinion
    Indeed that's what reviews can be like, a belitting Every rare now and then I am compelled to reply to what I perceive as a critical comment, out of a kind of curiosity, that's all. I once contacted a reviewer who wrote a truly belitting review of one of my albums and we ended up having a nice correspondence!

BD

I dont belittle anymore... there's no point. I just state my feelings without trying to offend the artist because I know that even the most hated album out there (is it Deyss - At King?) took a lot of work for the artist to create and record