Thread: Manilla Road

Manilla Road

This Wichita, KS act is one that I've heard people talking about for many years, but until recently have never given them the time of day. Shame on me for waiting so long! Probably the best kept secret on the underground metal scene. Hard to classify them-their early material is very epic sounding, like Caress of Steel/2112/Fly By Night era Rush, but during the mid-late '80s they moved into a more traditional/power/thrash metal style. Long songs, tons of atmosphere, interesting lyrics (fantasy/sci-fi/horror) and killer guitar work. Cystal Logic, Open the Gates, The Deluge, The Courts of Chaos, The Mark of the Beast, and Atlantis Rising are some of the albums I've picked up and thoroughly enjoying.

Any other folks into the Road?

Not a best kept secret in Europe. Mega-worshipped as pioneers of the epic metal style.

By the way, one of my most faves is their LSD drenched unreleased (untill 2002) 1981 album "Mark of the Beast". Excellent stuff bridging acid rock with dark heavy metal.

PS. Mark Shelton is a killer axeman.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Not a best kept secret in Europe. Mega-worshipped as pioneers of the epic metal style.

By the way, one of my most faves is their LSD drenched unreleased (untill 2002) 1981 album "Mark of the Beast". Excellent stuff bridging acid rock with dark heavy metal.

PS. Mark Shelton is a killer axeman.
    Here in the US, only people who REALLY follow metal have heard of them, otherwise they are practically unknown. I also like Mark of the Beast-quite different than their other albums. Epic tunes for sure!

I agree regarding Shelton-really awesome player. He always seems to come up with really inventive riffs, and those solos are off the charts!

This is the only one that I own and have heard. I'l have to revisit as it didn't do much for me when I got it 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    This is the only one that I own and have heard. I'l have to revisit as it didn't do much for me when I got it 10 years ago.
    Best for me is "The Deluge". Wonderful from start to finish!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The Deluge is quite good! I just got Atlantis Rising which is fantastic, and so far the best of the more recent releases (2001)

I used to have "Crystal Logic" on vinyl back in the early 80s. Quite honestly, I can't remember what it sounded like. However, I have come a cross a CD version at the library so maybe I should check them out again.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Best for me is "The Deluge". Wonderful from start to finish!
    I picked up "The Deluge" today. Yeah, this is pretty great! I guess I need to pick up a few more.