Thread: Join the ProgEars NFL Pick'em and Survival league!!!

Join the ProgEars NFL Pick'em and Survival league!!!

I got a late start this season, but I renewed both PE leagues. I didn't get any notice to renew them so it slipped my mind. The Survival league also didn't allow me to email past participants (they gave it a facelift), so I'm starting a separate thread on PE here to get participants today and tomorrow.

Here are the links...

For Pick'em, go to this link and join a private group:

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo...ster/joingroup

Group ID#: 41120
    Group Password: marillion

For Survival, go to this link and join a private group:

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo...nprivategroup/

Group ID: 37267
    Group Password: oingoboingo

For those who don't know, we've had these two leagues running now for about 10 years. To be clear, this is NOT fantasy football. It's weekly "pick'em" and "Survival". The rules for both are simple.

- For the pick'em league, you simply pick the winners of every game each week. Your win-loss record is compared to others in the league.

- For the survival league, you pick the winner of 1 game each week. But pick wisely. If you miss it, you get a strike. Three strikes and you're out. (This year, they added a twist where you have to pick two games towards the end of the season).

Let me know if there are any questions...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm IN.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

survival league sounds fun

BTW, I run the 15 year old PE FFL

if anyone wants in the PE FFL (it is a high points league with full defense, not an easy league) for next year (we already drafted this year) PM me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Can we please avoid ProgDay for the draft next year?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Why Is this on the Main Board????????
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Football is Prog and they play Karn Evil 9 at football games. I thought everyone knew that.

Why is this a problem for you???

I only visit this board so it was nice to learn about this...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Objection, your honor.

Football is *AT LEAST* as contentious a subject - at least in some parts of the country - as politics.

An oasis from football would be nice...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I will only do this if Steven Wilson does too.

Get on that, Cozy. Make it so.

Looks like you need a Yahoo account to sign up for any of these leagues. Oh well.

one can create a dummy Yahoo account and only check it during Football season
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm only ever on Yahoo for Football season.
    Ian

I have been the co-host of a progressive rock radio show called the Greatest Show from Earth which airs Sunday nights at 9:00 PM on WWUH, West Hartford, CT for the last 30 years. I am on the first Sunday of each month. I play new releases as well as old favorites, offer enlightened commentary and talk about upcoming prog rock related events close to the greater Hartford CT area. The show is live streamed and archived for two weeks after broadcast on wwuh.org.

It has always bothered me that PE policy prohibits promoting my radio show on the main page. Rather than be relegated to the OT forum, I have chosen to not mention my show at all.

Until now.

The fact that a fantasy football league which has nothing whatsoever to do with music, let alone prog rock gets a sticky on the main page, while prog rock radio shows are banned from the main page is insulting. The PE moderators need to seriously re-evaluate their policies. I also should mention that I am not paid one dime to do my show. It is strictly a labor of love.

Sincerely,

Gary Levin (a.k.a. The Microwave Brain)
    Co-host, The Greatest Show From Earth
    9:00 PM Eastern time first Sunday of each month
    WWUH-FM 91.3 West Hartford, CT and wwuh.org

Not that I have to answer to you, but I started this thread as a sticky for a few days so PE members who participate in this long running community activity would have the best chance of signing up before the games began (which is tonight). Fortunately, it worked as close to 20 signed up. It was always my intention to delete the thread after that.

Anyone disturbed by this thread enough to spend their first and only post (since the post counter) ranting about it needs some serious perspective sorry to say.

To put this in serious perspective, my issue is not with this thread, nor is it with the long running community activity.

It is with the fact that a subject that has nothing to do with music or prog rock is given a position of prominence in the main board, whereas people who make meaningful contributions to the greater prog rock community through radio shows, web pages, blogs, youtube videos, etc. are precluded from posting about their efforts on the main board under the pretext of "shameless self promotion". A little self promotion is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it does not get out of hand.

I therefore respectfully request that the moderators consider relaxing the rules and see what happens.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Not that I have to answer to you, but I started this thread as a sticky for a few days so PE members who participate in this long running community activity would have the best chance of signing up before the games began (which is tonight). Fortunately, it worked as close to 20 signed up. It was always my intention to delete the thread after that.

Anyone disturbed by this thread enough to spend their first and only post (since the post counter) ranting about it needs some serious perspective sorry to say.

OK.....So Everybody has to comply with PE's TOS except the Moderators?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Thank you for your input. No one is preventing you from promoting your radio show. You made the conscious decision to stop promoting it. Additionally, you have appeared to have made the conscious decision to stop posting all together (until now). I can say with some confidence that people who don't positively contribute to this site frequently (and in a non promotional manner), do not receive particularly fruitful responses to their promotions.

In the end PE is a discussion board and a community of people (regulars and lurkers). There is no inherent responsibility for PE to organize the content on the site in any particular way. Additionally a large percentage of PE regulars here not only read multiple forums, but also use the "new posts" feature which consolidates all the forums based on recent activity.

And as someone who did my own radio show for a few years (and knows many others who have as well), I can tell you that your greatest obstacle is not what forum your show is advertised on PE, but other broader concepts such as information overload, modern technology alternatives, and general (and increasing) apathy that make obtaining and retaining listeners nearly impossible. You can take it out on this forum if it makes it easier for you to cope, but this thread didn't cause the problem.

It was, in effect, a temporary community announcement. Get over it. It's not a threat to you.

And based on the vulgar message you sent us, you need to seriously take a chill pill. Perspective indeed.

There. Our long, national nightmare is now over.

I unstuck the thread and put it in WOT. I will also close the thread shortly in case someone is having trouble signing up.

It's been moved to WOT - the same place where we already have threads about movies, baseball, beer, TV, hockey, weed, other gardening , birds, jokes, reality TV, and even the royal baby!

Quote Originally Posted by MicrowaveBrain View Post
    I have been the co-host of a progressive rock radio show called the Greatest Show from Earth which airs Sunday nights at 9:00 PM on WWUH, West Hartford, CT for the last 30 years. I am on the first Sunday of each month. I play new releases as well as old favorites, offer enlightened commentary and talk about upcoming prog rock related events close to the greater Hartford CT area. The show is live streamed and archived for two weeks after broadcast on wwuh.org.

It has always bothered me that PE policy prohibits promoting my radio show on the main page. Rather than be relegated to the OT forum, I have chosen to not mention my show at all.

Until now.

The fact that a fantasy football league which has nothing whatsoever to do with music, let alone prog rock gets a sticky on the main page, while prog rock radio shows are banned from the main page is insulting. The PE moderators need to seriously re-evaluate their policies. I also should mention that I am not paid one dime to do my show. It is strictly a labor of love.

Sincerely,

When we came off PEv2 and created the forums on PEv3, we took a lot of requests / complaints / etc. from the membership.

Back in the day, we used to block all promotional posts - though we allowed a few from long-standing members. It was an in-exact science and raised much confusion and many complaints.

For that reasopn, PEv3 has a forum called "What's On, What's New", sub-titled "What's On, What's New - concerts, new releases, new artists, promotions, announcements from artists / labels / PRs / management."
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-On-What-s-New

Since PEv3 was stood up in Nov. 2012, you have all been welcome to post promotions about whatever is on, and whatever is new.

So although we appreciate that you erred on the side of restraint, you don't need to be cautious about posting this type of promotion.
    Regards,

Duncan

Gotta love this place, we've got North Korea building a bomb, Trump deporting children, a hurricane flattening the Caribbean and people get their panties in a bunch about which forum some fun is posted for a few days. Priceless.
    Ian

I for one, am glad you posted it there, as I signed up, and even picked the Chiefs in Pick'Em week 1! I didn't get in the last couple of seasons, so I am glad to be back!

Sean, on the one hand, you've got the sports-hating dweebs who are upset that something so frivolous as a sports thread is soiling the page intended for the uber-important discussion of The Prog. On the other hand, you've got some guys who are on a Mission From God and are dismayed that you do not appreciate the crucial importance of what they are doing, along with it's impact on the Western World. Then there's the rest of us.

You probably can't win, so I wouldn't sweat it.