Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull Announces 50th Anniversary Tour

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    We got Fripp and Belew to kiss and make up, didn't we? Time to get to work on these two.
    What? I have to catch up on that soap...er, thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Absolutely. The Tull bands in the '70s had lots to do with creating the material. That Jethro Tull is IA + a bunch of hired hands is a myth perpetrated mostly by IA. It might have been true in the '80s and '90s (probably no coincidence that the music in those decades was mostly not very good), but not the '60s or '70s.
    Well, the Eddie Jobson influence is all over A, the Peter John Vettese influence is all over Walk into Light and Under Wraps (as is Martin's), likewise Andy Giddings' on Roots to Branches and Divinities ...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    the Peter John Vettese influence is all over Walk into Light
    I always thought it was ironic that Ian's first actual solo album found him sharing songwriting credits more than he ever did on Tull albums.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Well, the Eddie Jobson influence is all over A, the Peter John Vettese influence is all over Walk into Light and Under Wraps (as is Martin's), likewise Andy Giddings' on Roots to Branches and Divinities ...
    OK, then I stand corrected: it wasn't true in the '80s or '90s, either.

I can't listen to Ian sing anymore. Too painful. On the other hand, I totally enjoyed Martin Barre when I saw him last year. I'd still consider Tull if Martin were part of it, otherwise what's the point?
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Go see Martin, he's got the goods and a fantastic band!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I can't listen to Ian sing anymore. Too painful. On the other hand, I totally enjoyed Martin Barre when I saw him last year. I'd still consider Tull if Martin were part of it, otherwise what's the point?
    Flute?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Flute?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Is that Martin?

One of the coolest, most surreal moments on Cruise to the Edge 2015 was sitting on the upper deck waiting for Anglagard to come on stage as we were steaming toward Nassau, and looking behind me and seeing Martin Barre sitting at a table like 20 feet away.

Is that Martin?.
    He does play flute, but hasn't done so in the solo band (yet).

I think it's a shame Martin isn't with him, but I can understand Ian needing to cement the fact that he wrote pretty much everything released under the JT name.
    I'm very much fine with Martin where he's at, I love seeing him as a band leader, his guitar is still blistering hot, he's a hoot as a personality, gives a great song selection and his band is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He does play flute, but hasn't done so in the solo band (yet).
    We're forgetting another previous member who plays flute and just happens to be without a band right now: Tony Iommi.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We're forgetting another previous member who plays flute and just happens to be without a band right now: Tony Iommi.
    How about Peter Gabriel?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've always thought of Tony Iommi while listening to "A New Day Yesterday". That heavy blues sound...

i guess time has proven that Ian Anderson IS Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i guess time has proven that Ian Anderson IS Jethro Tull
    Nope, not even close. IA attempting to be Jethro Tull all by himself is a total joke.

How about Peter Gabriel?
    But, he's not a former member.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I've always thought of Tony Iommi while listening to "A New Day Yesterday". That heavy blues sound...
    Yep, that's his riff.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've very much enjoyed Martin Barre's band over the past couple of years, and look to enjoy them at Progtoberfest yet again. There was a posting on FB where Anderson alluded to "virtual guests" on his tour...

"Anderson will take to the stage with bassist David Goodier, keyboardist John O’ Hara, guitarist Florian Opahle, drummer Scott Hammond and “surprise virtual guests.”
    http://teamrock.com/news/2017-08-14/...niversary-tour

One thing that really comes across during his shows is how adept and musical he is at arranging - and in fact rearranging - Tull material. Obviously, Tull were a band and not "all Ian".
    Check out this clip:

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    That song is all Clive, baby!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    "Anderson will take to the stage with bassist David Goodier, keyboardist John O’ Hara, guitarist Florian Opahle, drummer Scott Hammond and “surprise virtual guests.”
    He did the "virtual guest" thing on the TAAB2 tour with the faux-Skype video appearance by Anna Phoebe.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Someone please tell him his voice is Gone!
    Yep, that's what I thought when I saw JT for the first time in 2005/6...

Doesn't feel like much purpose to this 'revival' with so few links to earlier line-ups, what's the difference between this and Anderson's solo endeavours?
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-26-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    That song is all Clive, baby!
    That's Tony's riff.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Doesn't feel like much purpose to this 'revival' with so few links to earlier line-ups, what's the difference between this and Anderson's solo endeavours? [/url]
    The article/interview in the OP points out that Ian is the sole songwriter for the band and that he created the defining sound of Jethro Tull. So I guess he doesn't look at it the same way we do - it's 50 years of celebrating Ian!

His voice is....well....dated. Not in a great way. He should hang up the vocal cords, no doubt about it. But he is living in the past - he is a musician and performer until the day he dies. Painters usually create as long as they physically can handle it, musicians are no different. Jazz, classical, rock - it doesn't matter - its in their DNA, its in their heart, its in their soul, and its something not easily given up. The man created an amazing body of work, he's not ready to call it quits, simple as that. He loves what he does, and his obsessive work qualities have been there from the very beginning. He doesn't sit around pickin' his ass, the man needs to be doing something. Is there some denial? Almost definitely. The man isn't perfect, but then neither are any of us.

I am grateful for the amazing music and lyrics he has given me. I'm not going to see him anymore, but I will always have the utmost respect and love for the man. He IS Tull. Other musicians contributed to the (parts) of the music, but if you take away the main ingredient (Ian), you are left over with other (fine) ingredients, but not the main entree (Jethro Tull). Jethro Tull is not always a band effort either - some of the music is just Ian and his acoustic guitar. I feel the same about Fripp and Crimson, Christian and Magma, etc. They are the embodiment of the music.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson