Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Announces 50th Anniversary Tour

YES Announces 50th Anniversary Tour

News from Yes:

YES Announces #YES50 – 50th Anniversary Tour

The year 2018 marks half a century since the formation of the legendary group YES, one of the biggest bands in prog-rock history and true pioneers of the genre. To celebrate this remarkable milestone, YES will embark on a 10-date UK Tour in March 2018 – #YES50.

On this not-to-be-missed tour, YES [Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood] will feature not only many of the band’s classic hits, but performances of Sides 1 and 4 and an excerpt from Side 3 of their 1973 album, ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans‘, which was the first YES album to top the UK Album Charts. YES will also play some European shows. Watch this space for more dates – to be announced.

50th Anniversary Fan Convention
    The final weekend of the UK Tour at the London Palladium on 24th and 25th March will include a 50th Anniversary Fan Convention – more details of the Anniversary Celebrations will be announced soon.

New Roger Dean ‘Close To The Edge’ paintings
    Roger Dean (whose fantastical landscapes and logos have become synonymous with the band’s albums) will unveil new ‘Close To The Edge‘ paintings at the Palladium on March 25th.

Topographic Drama – Live Across America
    YES, deservedly inducted into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame in April 2017, will release ‘Topographic Drama – Live Across America‘, a new live album, planned for later in the year, recorded during their US 2016/17 tours.

50th Anniversary Tour – Quotes
    Talking about their 50th Anniversary, Steve Howe said: “We want to mark this anniversary with a tour that encompasses some of our best loved work – we want to play things we enjoy, maybe songs we haven’t done in a while.”

Geoff Downes adds: “I feel enormously privileged be a part of the legacy of the incredible and unique line of musicians in YES. The band has always remained fresh and inventive throughout its 50-year history, and created an amazing catalogue of music that has inspired millions from all generations.”

Alan White says: “Reflecting on the past 46 years that I’ve devoted my life to playing YES music, it’s been an interesting journey and a true labour of love. I’ve always believed in the power of music and the band’s recent induction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and our Grammy (awarded in 1985) are testament to the longevity of influence our music has had through the years. I’m extremely grateful to continue to be performing on stages for our dedicated fans and look forward to our 50th Anniversary performing together in 2018. It’s been a great ride!!”

#YES50 TOUR DATES – 2018 (UK & Europe)
    Tue 13th March – Bristol Colston Hall
    Wed 14th March – Sheffield City Hall
    Fri 16th March – Glasgow SEC Armadillo
    Sat 17th March – Manchester Bridgewater Hall
    Sun 18th March – Gateshead Sage
    Tue 20th March – Birmingham Symphony Hall
    Wed 21st March – Brighton Centre
    Fri 23rd March – Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
    Sat 24th March – London Palladium
    Sun 25th March – London Palladium
    Tue 27th March – Tilburg 013
    Wed 28th March – Antwerp De Roma
    Fri 30th March – Paris Olympia

I'll be at the Glasgow show!

No doubt the tickets will be £50 to fit in with the overall theme

That logo looks like a stomach and large intestine.

… “… and greatest hits from their first fifty years” …

This looks like a repeat of the last tour, minus Drama. I love Tales so it's cool to me, side 1 is my fave Yes epic. But, yeah..... I figured they would shake it up a bit more for the 50th.

what happened to Howes son?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This looks like a repeat of the last tour, minus Drama. I love Tales so it's cool to me, side 1 is my fave Yes epic. But, yeah..... I figured they would shake it up a bit more for the 50th.
    Last time they toured the UK it was Fragile & Drama...so Tales plus "greatest hits" makes sense to me...

Surprised that they're doing Tales I/IV again. Not very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Surprised that they're doing Tales I/IV again. Not very interesting.
    As above. They didn't do Tales I/IV in the UK and Europe, so maybe interesting to people from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    As above. They didn't do Tales I/IV in the UK and Europe, so maybe interesting to people from there?
    Ah, didnt realize that.... gotcha. Well, if this extends to the US hoping for Relayer!

True, but still... it just seems odd to be celebrating 50 years by hyping something they've done recently that's very much identified with the 70s era. Unless they really plan on pulling out something else from the past 10-20 years. I could see them including something from Fly From Here and maybe even something from The Ladder since Billy was involved with that. But are they just going to skip over the entire Rabin era?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Last time they toured the UK it was Fragile & Drama...so Tales plus "greatest hits" makes sense to me...
    Good point! I didn't realize the Tales/Drama tour didn't happen in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But are they just going to skip over the entire Rabin era?
    Well, you know, there is a better place to get that stuff live at the moment.

I suspect they will at least do a song or two from then though.

kinda continues the recent pattern of switching things a bit for Europe compared to America (last time usa got fragile and close to the edge but Europe got fragile and drama) so now UK gets tales and maybe they will do the one song from each album thing for the greatest hits?

guess main question is Dylan howe or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    kinda continues the recent pattern of switching things a bit for Europe compared to America (last time usa got fragile and close to the edge but Europe got fragile and drama) so now UK gets tales and maybe they will do the one song from each album thing for the greatest hits?

guess main question is Dylan howe or not.

I'd say it is up in air. White plays some songs by himself on the current tour, D. Howe plays some songs without Howe, and some they play together. If White heals or continues to heal maybe he will play alone.

My guess is Dylan will still be there. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    True, but still... it just seems odd to be celebrating 50 years by hyping something they've done recently that's very much identified with the 70s era.

Agreed-- Please guys, one song from the past 30 years. Be selective as you like, but for chrissakes play something.

Well, you know, there is a better place to get that stuff live at the moment.
    Wonder what the other Yes will do to celebrate the 50th?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Sadly no Relayer, we can still hope for To Be Over perhaps? Still, good news, I'll see them in Brighton and London

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Promise that new music is coming any day now?

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    "Yes Featuring ARW" will be celebrating their 2nd Anniversary as a band.....

Being a big fan of Todd and ELP I really felt I had missed something special with the recent tour, but I couldn't afford to go to the US and I knew they wouldn't be doing the same in the U.K. (hell they've not even bothered to tour some albums over here in the past) so there's no point letting it depress you. Getting half of Tales makes me feel better and I'm glad they've otherwise dropped the album theme. I seem to be in a minority of one on PE in that I love Roundabout as an encore ( there's an embarrassing YouTube video from a few years ago to prove it) but one or two surprises for this tour would be nice, perhaps keeping Survival in the set.

Now to ensure I'm free in work at 10am on Friday. I can feel an important meeting coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    "Yes Featuring ARW" will be celebrating their 2nd Anniversary as a band.....
    Of course, they're the band that still has somebody that was a member of Yes 50 years ago. Although I guess Jon can't claim 50 years of actually being in the band either.

Looks like you'll NEVER STOP YES!

Looks like you'll NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YES!
    Fixed.