Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: RIP to Steely Dan's Walter Becker

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I may be the oldest SD fan on this site...
    Corrected for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    The great guitar work in Steely Dan was nearly always attributed to someone else... and he was the bands bassist in the beginning. His singing was not so great either. Having said that his real contribution may have been as song writer!
    He was a great bassist and a couple of his solos were tasty (Black Friday, Bad Sneakers) but, yeah, his singing left a lot to be desired. And, personally, I found he soloed too much on their last two albums. But, as a songwriter, he & DF perfectly complemented each other, making them one of the 2 best songwriting duos in rock history (imo).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Originally Posted by progeezer
    "I may be the oldest SD fan on this site..."

Corrected for accuracy. (By Hal)

Sorry pal. Dave Sr. (adapt2it) my good friend, is 76 (I'm a mere 72 as we speak) and likes SD as well, so I may not be.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    He was a great bassist and a couple of his solos were tasty (Black Friday, Bad Sneakers)...<snip>...as a songwriter, he & DF perfectly complemented each other, making them one of the 2 best songwriting duos in rock history (imo).
    I agree with these statements, and can see a legitimate case for Becker's estate to be granted some % of income going forward based on songwriting and record sales. Keeping DF from performing under the Steely Dan name, though? Totally absurd.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sorry pal. Dave Sr. (adapt2it) my good friend, is 76 (I'm a mere 72 as we speak) and likes SD as well, so I may not be.
    Wow, I didn't realize we had someone that old. And before you joined, I think our oldest members were Mo and/or Chain.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I agree with these statements, and can see a legitimate case for Becker's estate to be granted some % of income going forward based on songwriting and record sales. Keeping DF from performing under the Steely Dan name, though? Totally absurd.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't think his estate not getting royalties is realistic or legitimate. But as you say, Don not getting to tour under the SD name is absurd.

I also don't see the lawsuit as something malicious. It's just business. Besides, if Walter had objected to Don touring under that name I think he would have done something in advance. And I like to think Don wouldn't record under that name without his old partner in crime.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    The great guitar work in Steely Dan was nearly always attributed to someone else... and he was the bands bassist in the beginning. His singing was not so great either. Having said that his real contribution may have been as song writer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Corrected for accuracy.

He was a great bassist and a couple of his solos were tasty (Black Friday, Bad Sneakers) but, yeah, his singing left a lot to be desired. And, personally, I found he soloed too much on their last two albums. But, as a songwriter, he & DF perfectly complemented each other, making them one of the 2 best songwriting duos in rock history (imo).

I should have been more clear, he was a great bass player and writer, a decent rhythm guitar player but not a true lead player... Much like the bass player in Genesis!

Good podcast with Donald Fagen. Talking about working with Water and his future.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...future-w514440

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wonderful new site-
    https://www.walterbeckermedia.com
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Apparently Walter was a huge Porcupine Tree fan as pictured in the studio with Steven Wilson and Richard Barbieri during the In Absentia sessions.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Apparently Walter was a huge Porcupine Tree fan as pictured in the studio with Steven Wilson and Richard Barbieri during the In Absentia sessions.
    Interesting, PT is not a band I would necessarily think Walter would dig. Then again, what am I saying--I'm both a huge Steely Dan fan and Porc Tree fan. And I bet S Wilson appreciates Steely Dan---as well as Abba!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    [...] And I bet S Wilson appreciates Steely Dan
    Confirmed: Steven Wilson's next album will be strongly influenced by 70s jazz-rock.

In all seriousness, that is a very cool photo isn't it?

God help me, but a Wilson take on Dan-like jazz/rock would be damn interesting. The production would be soooooo lush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    God help me, but a Wilson take on Dan-like jazz/rock would be damn interesting.
    In order to pull that off he'd need to hand over at least 50% of the writing to Adam Holzman.

Now there's an idea...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    God help me, but a Wilson take on Dan-like jazz/rock would be damn interesting. The production would be soooooo lush.
    I totally agree, and would love to hear something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    While Walter may have been a fan, my guess is Elliott Scheiner (the guy on the far right) is the WB/PT connection. He mixed both Steely Dan & Porcupine Tree to surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    From my FB page today-

Really sorry to wake and hear Steely Dan's Walter Becker passed away. I knew he'd been ill for awhile so I guess it's not a shock, but it's still a drag. He and Donald Fagen were the architects behind the Steely sound. Of course Don is the better known of the two, but I cannot understate Walter's input and influence. He played bass on the first three albums and here and there on others. He also was a unique guitarist- laying down some of Steely's most memorable solos- Josie, Black Friday, Gaucho, Bad Sneakers, Home At Last and The Fez are a few that come to mind. Solos as memorable as any put down by the myriad of studio guitarists they used on their later records. He also brought the snark to the proceedings lyrically. RIP....

www.walterbecker.com
    I can't count how many times I've listened to a song by Steely Dan saying to myself "who played that great guitar solo"? and then finding out it was Walter Becker. I did it again with Black Friday. He was a great writer and a criminally underrated player.

Yep. RIP Walter
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...