Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hillage w/Gong Rumours

Canada... tempting... Very tempting.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Especially tempting given recreational weed will be happening, unlike our October trip when I believe we will still be waiting for same

The official date of legalization is October 17.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    July 1 here and yet still no recreational sales

Luckily I have an MMJ license to Ill

Montreal, Quebec City, thanksgiving weekend. This Gong, and with Hillage?

I will be at both shows, bringing my teenage girls to QC!
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 09-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    OK, my brains scrambled going to their site...where are you finding the dates for NYC!?
    I think when the gigs were first announced the idea was for them to play BB King's - but that venue has since closed - don't know if they were unable or unwilling to find a replacement.

They had 2 gigs cancelled in Canada. He ain't coming to the US

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hillage playing his material with "new" Gong as backing band, 2019. let's hope this billing get them to North America!

48370129_2135824786438494_901863872833519616_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Hillage playing his material with "new" Gong as backing band, 2019. let's hope this billing get them to North America!

48370129_2135824786438494_901863872833519616_n.jpg
    Fantastic news ! Steve back on the road again playing his old material is a dream come true.

Some more exciting news in the announcement below:

The Steve Hillage Band are to play their first dates for 40 years in 2019. The three so far confirmed are Cambridge Junction June 6, Manchester O2 Ritz 7, London O 2 Shepherds Bush Empire 8. Tickets go on sale this Friday 14 December at 9.30am, available from Ticketmaster or Gigs And Tours. A preorder link has also been sent up here.

“The Cambridge show is in a venue much smaller than the others,” says Hillage. “But I will still be putting on the full show. This is in no way merely a warm up for the others.

“Why am I doing this now? Well, the last gig the band did was on November 17, 1979 at Hammersmith Odeon in London. So next year is a significant anniversary for me. And when someone suggested this, it made sense. This isn't the first time it's been proposed, but now it is all coming together.”

Hillage will use Gong as his backing band, again a decision that is pragmatic.

“I need musicians of the highest calibre to make it all work properly. The people in Gong fit the bill. I know them well, have guested with the band on a number of recent occasions and they're all keen to do this.”

The set will be based around Hillage's first four solo albums, namely Fish Rising (1975), L (76), Motivation Radio (77) and Green (78), all of which were Top 40 successes.

“I haven't yet worked out what songs I am going to do. Some are obvious, and I will also look to feature some deep cuts from these albums. What I could also do is include one or two tracks from later albums like Open (79) and And Not Or (82); remember that last band tour was at the time when Open was released. My aim is to put together a stonking setlist that truly shines.”

It seems almost inevitable that at least one of the gigs will be filmed and recorded.

“Nothing has been discussed as yet. But it would be crazy not to do it. We'll have to work out the logistics of whether we do one or more shows, and how we release this. That puts more pressure on me to ensure this is all top class.

“I think we'll end up playing for between 90 minutes and two hours. I am not going to do a very long performance, which is split into two sets the way some bands are doing these days. There will be a good support act, and I'll want to give them as much time as possible onstage.”

Hillage is also not ruling out the possibility of recording new material with this line-up.

“Why not? If we get along as well as I feel we shall, then the idea of doing a new album will appeal to all of us. I am not committing myself to anything, but never say never!”

And the tour could also be expanded.

“Let's see how these three dates go before anything else is added. But after March, when I have nothing else planned, this band will have my full attention as I prepare for the dates. And if it goes as well as I hope, then there will be more gigs, both in Britain and elsewhere.”

Nothing confirmed yet (apart from the UK dates) but all this looks very promising.

If Leo can get Soft Machine NA dates, Maybe he could pull off getting Hillage to cross

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If Hillage and Gong make a new album, would it be a new Gong album or a new solo Hillage album?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    If Hillage and Gong make a new album, would it be a new Gong album or a new solo Hillage album?
    Compagnie d'Opera Invisible de Thibet?

If (as I believe would be the case) such an album would consist of Hillage-Giraudy songs, there seems no reason to call it a Gong album...

Got my ticket for Cambridge today. So excited about this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillage press release
    The Steve Hillage Band are to play their first dates for 40 years in 2019.
    Really? That's odd. I could have sworn I saw The Steve Hillage Band, not once, but twice, in the last 13 or so years. First time was at the Melkweg, Amsterdam, then I could have sworn I saw them a couple years after that in some college town in Pennsylvania. Or did I hallucinate both of those?

Evidently what they mean is that they are dates by the SH Band alone, unlike the 2006-2010 gigs which were all relatively short sets played in support of Gong, unless there were exceptions where SH headlined ?