Thread: The 00's vs the 10's

The 00's vs the 10's

There have been threads for music from previous decades and each decade seems to have its own, distinct flavor. And I was wondering about the music from the last two decades, of course keeping in mind that the current one isn't yet over: Do they have any specific characteristics? Are there any visible differences between them? Which one do you prefer and why? I am referring mainly to progressive rock music (whatever that could be...) but any contributions for music coming from elsewhere are more than welcome.

Re-issues. Hate to say it, but re-issues have kept the last two decades alive.

I haven't noticed a distinct, discernible difference between the Prog-Rock of this decade and the last. However, I'm not the most voracious buyer of current music, so...

formats of releases are different: more digital and more vinyl in the 2010's vs more CDs in the 2000's.

Specific sounds/styles, etc More bands are using djent in the 2010's unfortunately.

More guest/collaborations and "featuring" seem to show up in the 2010's.

Seems more bands are using non-traditional rock instruments (strings/horns namely) in the 2010's.

Math and Post Rock seemed more prominent in the 2000's, whereas the 2010's it seems more of those types of bands are including vocals. At the same time, I'm not sure if the use of sampling audio has shown up more or less as it did show up a lot in the 2000's, but it also seems to happen a lot in the 2010's.

The 2010's seem to have more bands who combine styles I guess, rather than be able to define their own so much.

Also the way the industry is, it seems whether be per deaths in the band or just no way to avoid losing money, more bands seem to break up in the 2010's than in the 2000's, although that may just a product of the internet/news/social media.

Don't think that 00s and 10s differ considerably. Two elements worthy of notice is the demise of post rock and what has been labelled as New-Weird America during the end of the 00s and the increase of instrumental jam psych/stoner music during the 10s.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^^ I have the same feeling, that's why I am seeking for more expertise opinions. But if there is no distinct difference, what does that mean for music? Is all evolution halted?

I don't see/hear a distinct difference between the last 2 decades, other than mainstream rock is dead. Otoh, I'm almost 60 years old, so I doubt I'd perceive any trends or differences compared to young people in their teens and 20s today.

Though many lament about the demise of rock, I'd like to think that "Rock" has reach its maturity phase: 50 & 60's was infancy, 70's was rebellious adolescence, 80's was the entry in adulthood (industrial metamorphosis of music) and belonging in the in-crowd, and from the mid-90's onwards the more tranquil adulthood/parenthood

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    There have been threads for music from previous decades and each decade seems to have its own, distinct flavor. And I was wondering about the music from the last two decades, of course keeping in mind that the current one isn't yet over: Do they have any specific characteristics? Are there any visible differences between them? Which one do you prefer and why? I am referring mainly to progressive rock music (whatever that could be...) but any contributions for music coming from elsewhere are more than welcome.
    Difficult to indeed make a clear distinction between the noughties and the tennies (?), as both seems to be relatively stable, though this stability seems already there in the second half of the 90's
    Except for minor 'rock' genres that had limited success (Trip Hop, Post Rock, Wyrd Folk) and Acid/Nu Jazz, the last 20 years (from 97 onwards) seems to de resumed to two word: Status quo (not the band)

Do I prefer the 00's or the 10's?? Difficult to say, but I do notice that I'm switching back to jazz in the last 5 years or so.
    my personal listening experience has the 70's, 90's and 00's as listening to rock, and the 80's and the 10's listening to jazz, but unlike the 80's (where I was discovering the 60's & 70's), I'm now listening to temporary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Don't think that 00s and 10s differ considerably. Two elements worthy of notice is the demise of post rock and what has been labelled as New-Weird America during the end of the 00s and the increase of instrumental jam psych/stoner music during the 10s.
    the demise of Post Rock? Seems to be running strong in its own alloted space it built itself in the later 90's
    On the other hand, Trip-hop (Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, early Bjork etc...) seems to be in a coma.
    As for NWA (I guess you mean Wyrd folk), indeed most of the protagonists seem to be idle or touring much smaller venues
    Stoner rockis going strong, but I'm not aware they ever got a commercial impact on the rock scene.

What's commonly called neo-prog certainly seems to be in a state of lethargy of late, as well (not complaining, au contraire)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think main stream rock and pop got more and more uninteresting as time progressed. However , there are tons of interesting things happening in the underground scene. With bandcamp becoming the main platform for those acts , they get easier to find ( at least for me). I discovered tons of new bands in the 10's this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the demise of Post Rock? Seems to be running strong in its own alloted space it built itself in the later 90's
    On the second half of the 90s there were hundreds of bands and two dinstinct schools in sound; the electronica/kraut influenced UK/French and the guitar centered US/Canadian. Currently I can't think of many bands that remained (especially in Europe) or new ones jumping on the wagon. The scene may not seem dead (like trip hop) but reduced to a very small amount of artists (and few newcomers), mostly in the States.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    , but unlike the 80's (where I was discovering the 60's & 70's), I'm now listening to temporary stuff.
    mp3 downloads?

I like this. Yes, lots of jam and America surely on the verge of some breakthroughs by experimenting with the weird styles. NOt sure if any of it stuck, guess it remains to be seen... Many internet rock critics all over the world were heralding American prog and jam bands during the 00's and 10s... That said, I think it is unfortunate that it has Mostly fallen on older ears... A niche market I think. But some popular younger bands are borrowing (or listening to) some of the recent styles and sounds coming from the genres we like.... 21 pilots for example. Quite a couple of very interesting albums that were a pleasant surprise.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 09-03-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Still alive and well...

or Kimbra?

I actually think she could potentially be the closest mainstream artist to prog since Peter Gabriel's mainstream peak.

On the second half of the 90s there were hundreds of bands and two dinstinct schools in sound; the electronica/kraut influenced UK/French and the guitar centered US/Canadian. Currently I can't think of many bands that remained (especially in Europe) or new ones jumping on the wagon. The scene may not seem dead (like trip hop) but reduced to a very small amount of artists (and few newcomers), mostly in the States.
    AFAIK, there are still hundreds of bands still dishing out Post Rock (of both schools), but in some ways, they're not touring the bigger halls they once used to . In the last 10 years, I know of at least four Belgian ba,nds that released albums (Sweek, Cecilia Eyes and two others I can't remember the names right now). But none of them played concerts in anything than local halls.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    mp3 downloads?

I meant contemporary stuff
    Last edited by Trane; 09-04-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The main difference is that now we have a no. 1 Prog album (Steve Nilsson), meaning that Prog is unequivocally back and taking completely over, rendering everything so importantly Prog.

High recommend.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Wake me up in 2020, I'll take another two-decade trip back and see if I missed anything.

-Rip Van Spellbound
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Board 1:
    In Absentia vs The Raven That Refused To Sing

Board 2:
    Lateralus vs Echolyn

Board 3:
    De-Loused in the Comatorium vs English Electric

Board 4:
    V vs Until All the Ghosts Are Gone

Board 5:
    Deadwing vs Grace for Drowning

Board 6:
    Dark Matter vs The 27 Club

Board 7:
    The Human Equation vs The Mountain

Board 8:
    The Perfect Element (Part I) vs Weather Systems

Board 9:
    Damnation vs Decline and Fall

Board 10:
    Second Life Syndrome vs To Be Kind

(Maybe the post-2010 choices here are not optimal due to my limited knowledge.) It seems like progressive metal is less of a thing in the current decade; the quality difference is much smaller than this genre shift.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

I wrote something in 2015 looking at the halfway point in the current decade and comparing the 2 decades. There are certainly some albums that have come since 2014 that I would include in there, but I still see the 2000's as a better decade thus far.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...favorites.html

I don't think thus far, the 2010's have quite the level of favorites or statement all-time classics that the 2000's do for me yet. Time will of course tell more about that, but I suppose I can try (but not promise, at least when) and do a 2000's favorite albums list, updated, just to compare. I actually think I did at the end of 2009, but not with blurbs. The blurbs of course are the time-consumer, and why these things take so long for me to finish. But given we are over 5 years past the 2000's decade, It may be worth doing an updated version of that decade, even just to see if my comparison of 2000's > 2010's seems accurate.

Two elements worthy of notice is the demise of post rock and what has been labelled as New-Weird America during the end of the 00s
    The NWA bands are still out there (although a couple of the prominent ones, like Espers and The Polyphonic Spree, apparently fell off the map), but they ceased to develop and/or maintain their most overt hipness credential in accordance with the ageing of their audience. Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Beirut, Six Organs etc. are still making fairly good stuff and sometimes even touring, but there's little real "news interest" to it. It's nothing like a decade ago, that's for sure.

B-but Wilhelm Nelson was just no. 1 and h-he's p-prog.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    (Maybe the post-2010 choices here are not optimal due to my limited knowledge.) It seems like progressive metal is less of a thing in the current decade; the quality difference is much smaller than this genre shift.
    I have the same feeling, although I wouldn't say I am even close to being an expert on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The NWA bands are still out there (although a couple of the prominent ones, like Espers and The Polyphonic Spree, apparently fell off the map), but they ceased to develop and/or maintain their most overt hipness credential in accordance with the ageing of their audience. Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Beirut, Six Organs etc. are still making fairly good stuff and sometimes even touring, but there's little real "news interest" to it. It's nothing like a decade ago, that's for sure.

B-but Wilhelm Nelson was just no. 1 and h-he's p-prog.
    There was some real good music coming from these Pitchfork darling bands, not much, and, yeah, it didn't last long. I listened to the recent Grizzlies and wasn't impressed. Most of these bands seem like a one-two records deal and then dryness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    There was some real good music coming from these Pitchfork darling bands, not much, and, yeah, it didn't last long. I listened to the recent Grizzlies and wasn't impressed. Most of these bands seem like a one-two records deal and then dryness.
    Really? Wow, I was super impressed with the new Grizzly Bear.
    The Prog Corner

Pitchfork should have nothing to do with helping people find new music.