Thread: Louise : Chris Cutler's baby steps

Louise : Chris Cutler's baby steps

Louise originated from the Surrey area circa 1966. The band were previously known as The Kraal, but changed to Louise just prior to gigging in London. Bob Chudley was the band's main singwriter and after attempting Tony Durant's opus song, Rue Morgue, Louise decided to record two shorter songs by Bob Chudley to demo. Both songs featured here were recorded on a Revox half-track reel to reel tape machine in 1967. The band's demo was turned down by such A&R people as Norman Smith for being "a bit too crazy". Smith went on to record Pink Floyd after this. Tony Durant eventually left the band after a while to study at Exeter University and went onto form Fuschia. Chris Cutler joined forces with Dave Stewart then formed Henry Cow. Bob Chudley quit the music scene altogether and became a roofing contractor.

http://britishmusicarchive.com/L/292-louise
    http://britishmusicarchive.com/L/292...ise-recordings

Always wanted to hear some of Cutler's more obscure inputs, such as this and the Ottawa Music Co. Interesting to hear how his very particular style of playing ("Wyatt individualist", as he himself coined it early on) is already pretty much in development here. Thx for posting, Udi.

BTW, that Fuchsia album from 1971 is really very, very good - especially if one is into more refined progressive folk-rock of that specific era. Some great melodies and atmospheres.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    BTW, that Fuchsia album from 1971 is really very, very good - especially if one is into more refined progressive folk-rock of that specific era. Some great melodies and atmospheres.
    Fuchsia is fab, Udi.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Never heard about Fuchsia so far, but with the 3 up's above now I NEED IT ! Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Louise originated from the Surrey area circa 1966. The band were previously known as The Kraal, but changed to Louise just prior to gigging in London. Bob Chudley was the band's main singwriter and after attempting Tony Durant's opus song, Rue Morgue, Louise decided to record two shorter songs by Bob Chudley to demo. Both songs featured here were recorded on a Revox half-track reel to reel tape machine in 1967. The band's demo was turned down by such A&R people as Norman Smith for being "a bit too crazy". Smith went on to record Pink Floyd after this. Tony Durant eventually left the band after a while to study at Exeter University and went onto form Fuschia. Chris Cutler joined forces with Dave Stewart then formed Henry Cow. Bob Chudley quit the music scene altogether and became a roofing contractor.
    These are great, and unexpected!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Interesting to hear how his very particular style of playing ("Wyatt individualist", as he himself coined it early on) is already pretty much in development here.
    yes, it is!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

^ As a footnote to that Drummer's thread, I think I remember Cutler pointing to Moon as one of his most important early influences. You can even tentatively detect some of that in Cutler's playing here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ As a footnote to that Drummer's thread, I think I remember Cutler pointing to Moon as one of his most important early influences. You can even tentatively detect some of that in Cutler's playing here.
    Chris told me personally in 1977 that he loved Moon.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Am I the only one reminded of The Monkees' STEPPIN STONE ?

https://youtu.be/_N9Lkpt6SrY

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Am I the only one reminded of The Monkees' STEPPIN STONE ?
    No. I heard that too!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Fuchsia - I listened to a few tracks interesting stuff for sure but I couldn't really enjoy it because of the lead vocals of Tony Durant - I really don't care for his attitude nor sound
    Couldn't help myself wishing it was sung by lets say Richard Sinclair

Hah! I definitely like the Fuschia! - bought from bandcamp straightaway!

(not least because I now teach at Exeter University)