Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SRV

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've seen him twice and was underwhelmed each time. I'm all for simple playing (after all, it's all about the notes you don't play), but I just don't see much there.
    I really prefer Stevie's music and that of Jeff Beck (live) & Jimi.

I really like Family Style. It has much more variety than SRV's albums. But I've never been motivated to explore more of Jimmy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I loved what Jimmy did in the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Beyond that, anything I've heard of his I didn't warm up to.

Does anybody know if one of these databases is more comprehensive and/or accurate than the other, or are they identical?

http://jpschuck.free.fr/SRV/gigdbindex.html

http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/...y/95/year/1970

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's a very long story. His long-time manager, Teddy Slatus, was keeping him drugged (methodone and vodka) and the guy was near-death.
    Wow, that's some story! And I thought it was just that he hadn't let Stormbringer feed in a long time.

Seriously, though, I had read some very lukewarm reviews of shows from maybe 10 years ago, and was bummed about it. I'm glad to hear he got back some of his abilities. Is this story widely known? Would like to read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Does anybody know if one of these databases is more comprehensive and/or accurate than the other, or are they identical?

http://jpschuck.free.fr/SRV/gigdbindex.html

http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/...y/95/year/1970
    I use db.etree all the time.

You can also likely find it streaming on http://www.sugarmegs.org/

There's over 53,000 shows you can listen to in their entirety.

in fact, that show with Janis is there.

Sorry, I didn't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a JW one.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Yep, that's it. Quite a story.

Anyone have this? Is it any good?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Is there a copy out there somewhere of SRV's Aug 25, 1990 show where 'Goin Down' is complete?

A related (sort of) story. Before I retired, I worked with a young lady who was at the SRV/Clapton gig at Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy, WI. SRV was killed later that night and Clapton iirc was supposed to be on the plane but wasn't? I don't remember.

I do remember that when she saw the news the next day, she fainted, split her forehead badly and was traumatized for a long time.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    A related (sort of) story. Before I retired, I worked with a young lady who was at the SRV/Clapton gig at Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy, WI. SRV was killed later that night and Clapton iirc was supposed to be on the plane but wasn't? I don't remember.
    It was a helicopter, which as I understand it, accidentally flew into one of the nearby mountains. About a year or two later, I believe, Bill Graham died under similar circumstances (ie in a helicopter, at night after a show).

And yes, apparently, Clapton was supposed to be on the helicopter, but gave his seat to SRV (shades of the Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper crash).

this is giving me the creeps. On my last night here in Paris, I think I'll go crawl into a warm bath.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It was a helicopter, which as I understand it, accidentally flew into one of the nearby mountains. About a year or two later, I believe, Bill Graham died under similar circumstances (ie in a helicopter, at night after a show).

And yes, apparently, Clapton was supposed to be on the helicopter, but gave his seat to SRV (shades of the Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper crash).
    There arn't really any "mountains" anywhere near Chicago, but yea Alpine Valley is a ski resort with a big hill and the helicopter crashed into it in heavy fog. I have also heard the Clapton story. In fact there were several blues legends on the bill that night (I believe Buddy Guy was there as well) and the helicoptor fleet was shuttling all of the artists back and forth from the venue. The night before the Alpine Valley show SRV played my home town of Kalamazoo MI, but I had a conflict and did not go to the show. I have always kicked myself for that. I did get to see him live twice though, and he was incredible both times.

Steve Sly

Anyone have any SRV DVDs? I only have his "Austin City Limits" DVD. I used have a VHS cassette of "Live at the Mocambo" but I got rid of it (intending to get it on DVD). I haven't gotten around to that yet. But his performance of the ACL DVD is pretty awesome. He does have a tendency to race through "Voodoo Child" though. The guy looks and sounds coked up during that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Anyone have any SRV DVDs? I only have his "Austin City Limits" DVD. I used have a VHS cassette of "Live at the Mocambo" but I got rid of it (intending to get it on DVD). I haven't gotten around to that yet. But his performance of the ACL DVD is pretty awesome. He does have a tendency to race through "Voodoo Child" though. The guy looks and sounds coked up during that performance.
    I was at that El Mocambo show (the man was sweating in our draught beer pitcher)... always meant to get it (I knew it was filmed at leat partly)... never found it

Austin City Limits is boring, imho (better find another, but if you want my copy, PM me)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Austin City Limits is boring, imho (better find another, but if you want my copy, PM me)
    Trane, I have that DVD. I don't think it's boring, I just think he's high on coke through most of it.

I used to have the audio from a Japanese performance in '85 that was pretty good.

Trane, I have that DVD. I don't think it's boring, I just think he's high on coke through most of it.
    Second show I saw of him at Massey Hall (great f..ing show)... a bunch of buddies we were, including this very tall cute blonde, with the bad idea of wearing a huge white hat (unisex)... Some body's pissed off behind her, grabs the hat and throws it far away on stage... While the buddies are pounding the arsehole's face, Tommy Shannon (ex-J Winter) picks it up and throws his own hat backstage and wears it for fun for half the concert... After the concert, the blonde and I try to recuperate the hat... Shannon comes to the entrance, and I speak to him about Winter albums I love... We get in backstage... A plate with something like 3 dozens line of snow passes in front of us direction SRV... I pass, so does the blonde... SRV Snorts two or three in row and coughs right into the plate at the fourth snort, creating a white cloud around him... Three guys hurry around him and are trying laughingly to snort the cloud's air...

Ten minutes later, SRV is busy trying to get into the blonde's pants, which in turn has her finding refuge in my arms (SRV was sweaty, too high and too blunt for her to ever say yes)... SRV gives up fairly quickly, since he thinks we're together, and we walk out a few minutes later with the hat, with its owner hung at my arm, kissing the hell out of my mouth... Spent the night together... Thanks SRV and Tommy...

Last time I saw him was at The Toronto Masonic Temple, dog days of summer... during a thunderstorm.... must've been close to 40°C inside with 95% humidity, probbly much worse on stage with the spots.... everybody was soaked much more inside the building, than if we'd been outside under the pouring rain... only played six tracks before givng up... promùised next time he'd come around, he'd play a much longer set... Never saw him afterwards
    Last edited by Trane; 02-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Damn Trane, what a story .

SRV was a notorious coke head. What's sad is that when he finally got cleaned up, by "In Step," .... he dies in a helicopter crash. What a shame. I was really fanatical about SRV in the early 90s (after he died). I would've loved to see him play live.

I just about got coffee up my nose from that story, my Benelux buddy!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

..... with the bad idea of dringing a huge white hat (unisex)...
    Sorry Trane but your typos have a tendency to change the meaning of things sometimes and I'm left scratching my head wondering WTF?

Okay, the tall blonde brought a hat to the concert. I thought you misspelled "drinking" instead of "bringing." So I'm thinking a "huge white hat (unisex)" was some alcoholic beverage I never heard of .

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I just about got coffee up my nose from that story, my Benelux buddy!
    Sorry for your computer screen, buddy

Sorry Trane but your typos have a tendency to change the meaning of things sometimes and I'm left scratching my head wondering WTF?

Okay, the tall blonde brought a hat to the concert. I thought you misspelled "drinking" instead of "bringing." So I'm thinking a "huge white hat (unisex)" was some alcoholic beverage I never heard of .
    Who's writing novels now, uh??

OK, went back to correct a few typos

I used to have the audio from a Japanese performance in '85 that was pretty good.
    Probably the live in Tokyo thing that the Lenny video I posted on the first page came from.

As for Austin City Limits, isn't the DVD edited together from two different shows? As I recall he appeared on the show in 84-ish or so, when he still drinking heavily and doing cocaine. I think I actually saw that one when it was first broadcast, as I recall, the first half was SRV, the second half was Fab T-Birds. The only thing I remember was that he did Third Stone From The Sun at the end.

But the second one was from around the time In Step came out, I believe he does a version of Riviera Paradise on it. The second one he would have been clean and sober.

The thing that kinda stinks about that is, I have the impression each of those shows were edited down from longer performances. I asked about this on the ACL site once, because the Eric Johnson DVD they put out (from his second ACL appearance in 88 or 89) was an hour long, but the Roy Buchanan one is only about 30 minutes I think. I was told that each artist is allowed to play a full set, as they would in any concert, and then that gets edited down, with the DVD's typically featuring all the surviving footage (in the case of the Buchanan performance, it occurred early in ACL's existence, and hence they couldn't afford to keep the full unedited shows, so after they created the broadcast version, they had to tape over the masters).

Now, in the case of SRV, they sold the material to Epic Records (or Sony or whoever was the parent company of Epic at the time), because the ACL team hadn't figured out a way for them to enter the home video market. So Epic has the full rights to that material and apparently, they're holding out on the footage that hasn't been released yet.

The only time I ever saw SRV was when he toured with Jeff Beck, I think it was November 1989, one of the first "big" shows I had been to, at Public Hall, here in Cleveland. The thing was, at the time, I wasn't really into his music, I was there more specifically for Jeff, who had opened the show. So SRV plays most of the stuff I knew from MTV, eg Couldn't Stand The Weather, Superstition, etc.

I remember during Couldn't Stand The Weather, ya know that stop time thing they do in the intro? Well, the lighting rig had a row of Vari-lites at the front, and during each pause during that intro, the Vari-lites, swung forward blinding us for a second or so. I also remember him doing the thing where he plays the guitar behind his back, not behind his neck, but behind his back during one song, though I don't remember which one. I think I've got a bootleg where the final four songs of the set (not counting the encores) are all segued together, ending with a 12 minute version of Life Without You (similar to the one I posted on the first page of this thread). I didn't know what the song was at the time, but I remembered it was this ballad thing, that ended with playing this MIND FRELLER of an extended solo. Imagine a bluesier, rootsier version of Purple Rain, and that's kinda sorta what this was.

So this solo finally ends, and the band sort of comes down a couple notches, and SRV gives his "don't get too frelled up so that you can be there for your loved ones if they need you" speech. Then, as if that first solo wasn't enough, he does a second. And if the first solo the intensity was on 11, this second solo it was at least 12, maybe closer to 14 or 15.

So he starts playing that second solo, and about two licks in, he hits this note and lets it sustain as he walks back to his amps, and as we all know, he pretty much toured with a wall of amps, a couple Marshalls, a couple Fenders, and a couple Dumbles. Now, my recollection was that when he went back to the amps, he just sort of rolled his right hand across the knobs, and dimed EVERYTHING (all while still sustaining that one note with his left hand), but after watching bootleg footage of other shows, I think he more likely just tweaked a couple controls. But man, it felt like he dimed everything, because that was when the intensity went up even further.

Dammit, if I wasn't a believer before walking into Public Hall that night, I sure was when I walked out. I mean, like the jive talkin' witness in Airplane II: The Sequel says, "I mean...shit!".