Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Lennon - I can see us (the beatles) making records - mid 70's interview, wow!

Banned
    Great interviews, can't believe i hadn't heard them before thanks.

BTW FWIW I think Walls and Bridges is an underrated album with some real gems on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Well, at least for me this interview changes a lot of what I thought I knew

Very warm relationship
    Paul, Ringo and I meet several times, George couldn't come ...
    Getting back together

Here is the short interview

Interesting to hear John so warm about the beatles

Cool hearing this after all this time -thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Great interviews, can't believe i hadn't heard them before thanks.

BTW FWIW I think Walls and Bridges is an underrated album with some real gems on it.
    The two fillers aside- 'Beef Jerky' and the contractual obligation 'Ya Ya'- it's a very strong and (as you say) underrated album as far as the songwriting goes.

I don't think Lennon was up to much as a producer, though. As such, I think some of these songs sound better in more sparse form. You have to deal with added 80s reverb but the album Menlove Ave. features demos of these songs which, although rough around the edges (unfinished lyrics, some flubs here and there), have something that got lost on the finished product. 'Scared' is absolutely chilling in demo form...the studio one has too many other musicians and cluttered it IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The two fillers aside- 'Beef Jerky' and the contractual obligation 'Ya Ya'- it's a very strong and (as you say) underrated album as far as the songwriting goes.

I don't think Lennon was up to much as a producer, though. As such, I think some of these songs sound better in more sparse form. You have to deal with added 80s reverb but the album Menlove Ave. features demos of these songs which, although rough around the edges (unfinished lyrics, some flubs here and there), have something that got lost on the finished product. 'Scared' is absolutely chilling in demo form...the studio one has too many other musicians and cluttered it IMHO.
    Agree there are some real gems on Menlove Ave.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Agreed - I'll will definitely check out Menlove Ave. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Me too. So much so, in fact, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was totally a fake.

A couple of comments he makes sound suspicious. For instance, he talks about Harrison's Dark Horse label as if it was brand new, while also talking about the "Beatles 1962-1966" and "Beatles 1967-1970" albums that came out "last year".

Dark Horse was founded May 23, 1974. The red and blue albums didn't come out until 1976. He says "We're more likely to play together in 1976" like it's in the future. Something smells fishy.

He also says it was him that pushed for the butcher cover.
    Absolutely not a fake. Red and Blue albums came out in '73.

Here's another good oen from the same era:

Last edited by District97; 09-01-2017 at 10:32 PM.