Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston - And Florida

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Why carry the same rule in "Way Off Topic"?
    Remember the rmp days? That's why.

Also - back in PE v2 we allowed certain discussions to continue un-moderated - and they caused huge animosity between members, and left permanent rifts between people who had previously been "friends" at the musical level.

We consulted with a large part of the membership, and decided that we would enforce the absolute non-politicization of the PE boards. In large part, that's why PE has enjoyed a far more friendly atmosphere in the past several years.

Oh - and moderation is NOT the same as censorship

BTW - the moderators' involvement in this thread was triggered by PE members complaints.
    Regards,

Duncan

Moderation and censorship are the same thing in this case. But, you are allowed to censor your forum. But, that's what it is.

Getting out of the semantical weeds, I think all the points were made. It would be nice to move on.

Oh, and those who complained? Snowflakes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think all the points were made. It would be nice to move on.
    Agreed. It is what it is.

Ban the culprits who can't wait to stick their political nose in threads here!

I'm thinking of evacuating but gonna wait and see. I have accordion shutters but a cat 5 storm could take my roof. If the roof goes I'm done. And we wait, and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

BTW - the moderators' involvement in this thread was triggered by PE members complaints.
    Good points. What's lost here often is that we reacted based on feedback from others who are having an issue.

I fully understand why, though. But, there have been a number of threads that could have gone too far, but were reeled in by its participants. So, we've proven that we can self-police without having our comments removed. Or, dare I state, censored. It might take a warning, but still.
    It's been my experience that things get out of hand and don't come back, but fair observation.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I know it's your website and that means you can make any rules you want, and I have no issues with that, really. But don't pretend otherwise: an "oasis" is exactly what you have here because of everything you have excluded ("censored," "restrained").
    You make a fair point, but we differ in perspective. I'm not trying to "pretend otherwise." This place is perceived an oasis because it's moderated and has some rules and guidelines. It's not an oasis for the trolls that have been on this site. It's not an oasis for those with particular agendas. Generally speaking, the moderation effort at PE can be perceived an attempt to cultivate civility. And it's worked (mostly). But we don't really disagree here.

Moderation and censorship are the same thing in this case. But, you are allowed to censor your forum. But, that's what it is.
    Moderation is the enforcement of the rules based on an interpretation of the situation. You could say that PE is censoring content, which is a liberal interpretation in my opinion, but I don't disagree per se. However, anyone who joins this forum agrees to the terms of service to which it explicitly states those topics aren't welcome here. So often think of it less as censorship which has a connotation of "my freedom or liberties are being suppressed" to more of a context like a place of employment where you agree to certain conduct as a condition of working there.

Anyway, I hope I at least answered Dan'l's questions and provided a little more insight, but agree we should move on.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

On that note, my heart goes out to anyone who may be affected by Irma. It's hard to say what will happen, but let's hope the unlikely "shift north" off the coast model is the path it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm thinking of evacuating but gonna wait and see. I have accordion shutters but a cat 5 storm could take my roof. If the roof goes I'm done. And we wait, and wait.
    Vic, Which county are you in?

I've never been in a situation where evacuation was considered, and can't imagine what I'd do in your situation! Stay or go? I can see the appeal of both.

I think I'd go...
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm in Miami-Dade. I'm a good 25 miles from the beaches but the computer models have Irma going right through us. I'll decide by no later than Friday if I'm gonna get outta Dodge. Only thing is it looks like it's going all the way up through the length of the state. So maybe hunkering down might be the best option. Plus, I'd imagine all the roads will be choked with traffic. We'll see.

I'd try to get out of there, Vic, but whatever you do, stay safe my friend!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Man the cone covers all of South Florida. Not sure if leaving would be the right thing at this point.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yeah Vic, stay safe.

They've declared a mandatory evacuation for Miami effective tomorrow morning. Get out of there, Vic. Not one to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Moderation is the enforcement of the rules based on an interpretation of the situation. You could say that PE is censoring content, which is a liberal interpretation in my opinion, but I don't disagree per se.
    When you REMOVE posts that's censorship, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Moderation is when you attempt to steer the discussion away from the reefs of discord. What you have done is censorship, which you should own and acknowledge. You are allowed to censor your own board. We should be aware that you can, and will.

And Vic, be careful who you get gasoline from

gas for ass.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Moderation is the enforcement of the rules based on an interpretation of the situation. You could say that PE is censoring content, which is a liberal interpretation in my opinion, but I don't disagree per se.
    PE reserves the right to remove content that is in conflict with it's rules. That is censorship in the literal sense. That's my only point. Some censorship is perfectly legitimate. Some, not so much. But, it's all censorship.

censorship
    ˈsensərSHip
    noun
    noun: censorship
    1. the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It must be my age and the exponential loss of patience with circular conversations, but semantic ping-pong is a fucking waste of time.

IMHO, of course.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If you want an example of a ridiculous amount of moderation and censoring, skip over to the Hoffman forum. It'll make PE seem like the wild frontier. Or as one blogger put it

His board - the most heavily censored and over-moderated assemblage of over the hill obsessive compulsive Americans ever gathered in one place
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was a member of one board that blew up because the owner decided, unilaterally, to start banning people who challenged him (and he turned out to be a rabid anti-Muslim white supremacist).

When you start a board, you have a responsibility to abide by your own rules, to accept valid criticism, and to have some continuity in the rules. If the ground rules are clear from the outset and applied fairly, nobody has any reason for a beef. I think PE meets those goals.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They've declared a mandatory evacuation for Miami effective tomorrow morning. Get out of there, Vic. Not one to mess with.
    Agree. I have thankfully never been in your situation, but grab the important things (like your music collection) and head north!

The only mandatory evacuation orders are for the beaches and barrier islands as far as I know. If I take off the last thing I'm worried about would be my CDs.

The Keys are under mandatory evacuation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    If I take off the last thing I'm worried about would be my CDs.
    We will have to revoke your posting privileges with that attitude!

I think I'm staying put. There's a shelter right near me. Right now it's chaos. My fear is hitting the road and getting stuck out there. Gas stations are crazy. I have 3 quarters of a tank full but who knows how far that will get me. If I take off I'd probably head west on The Trail, which is mostly Everglades, and gas stations are scarce. Well, at least my deceased family members have been spared of this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Dave Kerzner lives in Miami and has family there who won't leave, plus he's worried about his studio getting looted. So they're heading inland somewhat, but I don't know where. Or if inland will make much of a difference. Our own DrGoon, Gordon Hundley, and his wife Krys live in Tampa. Even being over there on the West coast of Florida might not help so much. Hoping for a good outcome.