Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which complete discography Deluxe Boxset would you like to buy ?

I'd buy a Phil Collins box set, just to see if it's ruined when it arrives here.

Magma
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Magma
    You have the Studio Zünd box set with all studio recordings (at the moment of release) plus bonus and the Live box set ( same as above) both in a nice shaped box.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Although I don't need it, an Anthony Phillips 'complete recordings' box would be a good way for people to acquire some of the harder-to-find titles.
    I own the Japanese Mini-LP catalog by Anthony Phillips that has 5 Promo Japan Boxes and a Mega Box whereby all of the small Promo Boxes with Japan Mini-Lps fit into the Mega Box (all with artwork - the Mega Box has the Wise After the Event artwork).

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Magma
    I own the Japan Mini-Lp full collection of Maga albums in a Mega Box with artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I own the Japanese Mini-LP catalog by Anthony Phillips that has 5 Promo Japan Boxes and a Mega Box whereby all of the small Promo Boxes with Japan Mini-Lps fit into the Mega Box (all with artwork - the Mega Box has the Wise After the Event artwork).
    That's a lovely set, but far from 'complete recordings', right?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Naaah, I'll stick with whatever Webster I got... Thx anyways

owever, I must say that there isn't too many of those boxsets or specials that I would buy, even if I won the big lotery lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I'd buy a Supertramp box with loads of studio outtakes and inedit stuff.

From the available boxes, I will definitely pick Bruford's one, since I only own Feels Good to Me and the Master Strokes compilation.

The Art Zoyd box is also in my wish list.
    Yup, the AZ will be mine... but that's 90% important stuff never available before

But TBH, I've got what I need from most major bands. They'd have to be itterly more inventive to "sell" me their classic, surely better than stufdio outtakes or live tracks.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Kayak... just bought it...and got a good deal on it too...
    I just ordered this last night.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tangerine Dream.

As a bonus, the box would be big enough that if I fell on hard times, I could live in it.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

That's a lovely set, but far from 'complete recordings', right?
    It's one of my favourite boxes - had 25 CDS (I think).

It's one of my favourite boxes - had 25 CDS (I think).
    Oh wow, that is a lot actually! Info on that one is a bit scarce from my searches but depending on when it was released, it still wouldn't be complete compared to one that was released now with his most recent recordings, etc.

Out of curiosity, do you remember offhand if it includes The Meadows Of Englewood?

Edit: I should also add that one aspect of his music that I don't have in my collection are those library releases on the Atmosphere label. Very tough to find. If a super-duper deluxe Ant collection was to be released that included those, I would drop the cash on it pretty much without hesitation.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    You have the Studio Zünd box set with all studio recordings (at the moment of release) plus bonus and the Live box set ( same as above) both in a nice shaped box.

That's the one!!! I really want that.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    owever, I must say that there isn't too many of those boxsets or specials that I would buy, even if I won the big lotery lot.

But TBH, I've got what I need from most major bands. They'd have to be itterly more inventive to "sell" me their classic, surely better than stufdio outtakes or live tracks.
    I couldn't see anything else that could be added other than that (and the obligatory S. Wilson 5.1 remixes). Nevertheless I agree, these boxes aren't for me- no wherewithal or inclination. And sometimes extras can dilute impact, especially when the running order of albums is tampered with.

I think the only ones like this that I have are the three Elvis 'decade' boxes which I picked up over the years and still play regularly. IMHO those are still the only releases where that catalogue has been put in any kind of order, and they are very playable (not having false starts/alternates alongside the masters).

Bear Family have done these type of releases for years but they are one of the most expensive labels out there. I've noticed rock 'n' roll/blues artists are now basically only the province of those type of high-priced labels, if you want to go deeper than the singles and don't want 'public domain' junk or piecemeal original albums. Sad.

I don't believe there has ever been a complete box of everything Frank Sinatra did on Capitol Records. Why has nobody done that?? There have been Capitol boxes but they haven't been complete, focussing on albums as opposed to all the singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

As a bonus, the box would be big enough that if I fell on hard times, I could live in it.
    Even pretending for a moment that such a thing were physically possible...the licensing would be an utter nightmare. TD had so many releases on so many different labels, to say nothing of the many "gray area" soundtracks that they didn't fully sanction (stuff on Silva Screen).

On the flip side, I'd pay genuine money for a fairly comprehensive set of Conrad Schnitzler's numbered material. Wouldn't even have to be CDs...I'd gladly take a digital version.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Here are the first two volumes.

A Mott The Hoople one to go along with the amazing Ian Hunter one that's out, overflowing with goodies and unaffordable to me

Gryphon
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post

The Live Box Set is in a ridiculously shaped box. Almost as ridiculous as this (the box fits in the chimp head):

Art Zoyd

UKZ
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The Live Box Set is in a ridiculously shaped box. Almost as ridiculous as this (the box fits in the chimp head):

Magma Zünd.jpg

It always comes down to a matter of taste. I like it, even so it doesn't have the Christian Vander latex mask included.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Here are the first two volumes.

Actually, that's Volume III behind them (in the gray box).
    Last edited by Tom; 08-28-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: funnnier
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Out of curiosity, do you remember offhand if it includes The Meadows Of Englewood?

Edit: I should also add that one aspect of his music that I don't have in my collection are those library releases on the Atmosphere label. Very tough to find. If a super-duper deluxe Ant collection was to be released that included those, I would drop the cash on it pretty much without hesitation.
    Not sure but will check tonight.

If complete box sets, if they ever existed, I'd take the following:

Joy Division (I've got the supposed complete box set; it's not)
    Strawbs (with all Dave Cousins solo stuff)
    Hudson-Ford (including Monks and High Society stuff)
    Kentucky Colonels (I may have it all, but it's spread out all over the place, I need one set with Clarence and Roland White solo stuff included)
    Randy California (again, there's so much non-Spirit stuff out there, it's almost impossible to keep track)
    Roy Wood (solo and side stuff, such as with Annie Haslam)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.