Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler - From Silence To Somewhere coming in October

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Wobbler - From Silence To Somewhere coming in October

Exciting, Wobbler is giving me a birthday present!

https://www.karismarecords.no/karism...ails-revealed/

Norway’s leading Symphonic Prog band WOBBLER have inked a deal with Karisma Records and are set to release their fourth full-length album, “From Silence to Somewhere” on the 20th October.

Formed in Hønefoss in 1999, WOBBLER’s current lineup features current and former members of TUSMØRKE, WHITE WILLOW, THE CHRONICLES OF FATHER ROBIN and JAGA JAZZIST. With Lars Fredrik Frøislie on keyboards and backing vocals, Kristian Karl Hultgren on bass, bass clarinet and bass pedals, Martin Nordrum Kneppen on drums, percussion and recorder, Andreas Wettergreen Strømman Prestmo on vocals, guitar, glockenspiel and percussion, and Geir Marius Bergom Halleland on lead guitar and backing vocals, the band can avail itself of a considerable array of instruments that have a huge, and very interesting impact, on the overall sound.

“From Silence to Somewhere” offers up a sound that is enigmatic, multi-flavoured and adventurous, with the use of copious amounts of Mellotron, Moog, Hammond, Chamberlin and other classical analogue keyboards, and of course the renowned Rickenbacker Bass . The guitar riffs go from poignant to edgy. Melancholy harmonies combine with powerful crescendos and high-energy, spinet-driven passages, flavoured with a touch of Flamenco and Italian Renaissance music to produce and album comprising four epic tracks that explore the idea of metamorphosis and alchemy. It is a natural continuation from WOBBLER’s previous albums, but with a darker, more introspective edge.

With artwork by Thomas Kaldhol (Samuel Jackson 5, Panzerpappa, Lukas Kasha etc) , and a running time of 47 minutes, tracklisting on “From Silence to Somewhere” is as follows:
    1. From Silence to Somewhere
    2. Rendered in Shades of Green
    3. Fermented Hours
    4. Foxlight

Great news. Karisma have a decent roster and fine distribution channels going. Let's hope for some gigging to boot. They'd go well down playing with the likes of labelmates Seven Impale or something.

K. Hultgren has done some bass vox too, along with that bass, those bass pedals and this bass clarinet.

Artwork looks good as well. I'll be buying vinyl, from local record store, utilizing physical moneys (i.e. bills).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Cool, looking forward to it!

Bill

I love Wobbler! This is exciting. Kaipa in September and Wobbler in October. Be still my beating heart.
    The Prog Corner

It was about time. I need some sympho-injection from these beautiful, Mediterranean souls that were trapped in Viking bodies.

Nice! Cool artwork too. This one's going on the shopping list.

Didn't I see a recent (Greg Walker or something in his latest newsletter, maybe?) announcing a re-release of their debut album

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Great news. Karisma have a decent roster and fine distribution channels going. Let's hope for some gigging to boot. They'd go well down playing with the likes of labelmates Seven Impale or something.

TBH, I'm cruelly disappointed with Shaman Elephant's album ...
    and TBH, if I could go back, I'd take away Seven Impale's Contrapasso away from my Top list of last year.
    (SI's City Of The Sun still ranks highly in my book, though)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd take away Seven Impale's Contrapasso away from my Top list of last year.
    (SI's City Of The Sun still ranks highly in my book, though)
    CotS is *FAR* better than 'passo in my book. They could easily have cut the latter down to a more listenable single LP; some 40% of that double is near-filler and simply hasn't even stood a year's duration. There's future to come, though.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sweet! Will definitely be getting this.

CotS is *FAR* better than 'passo in my book. They could easily have cut the latter down to a more listenable single LP; some 40% of that double is near-filler and simply hasn't even stood a year's duration. There's future to come, though.
    I don't agree. Apart from the disappointing closer, everything else sounds essential to me. I still spin those 4 sides with pleasure.

Excellent news! Auto-buy of the highest order.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My legs are wobbly at the mere thought of a new album....or it could be the booze I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My legs are wobbly at the mere thought of a new album....or it could be the booze I suppose?
    Well, it's certainly not the side effects of the cocaine. I'm guessing that it must be love.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

K. Hultgren has done some bass vox too, along with that bass, those bass pedals and this bass clarinet.
    And apart from his obvious bass mastery, wrote my favorite Wobbler piece, 'In Orbit' that includes moments I find breathtaking-one of those rare songs that are pure magic to my ears.

Look forward to see where this next adventure has taken them.

47 minutes is a good length for me. I don't know why artists feel as though they need to fill every second of the 80 minutes on a cd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the to buy list, if it won't be that Yes derivative as Rites at Dawn.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    And apart from his obvious bass mastery, wrote my favorite Wobbler piece, 'In Orbit' that includes moments I find breathtaking-one of those rare songs that are pure magic to my ears.
    Yes, I noted Your inevitable sig at its YT-posting just yesterday, Bill! "That part from 4:00-7:00"... Good going.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I don't agree. Apart from the disappointing closer, everything else sounds essential to me. I still spin those 4 sides with pleasure.
    Not only is Contrapasso way too long (almost triple what it needed to be) , it's anything but varied. You can't tell in which song you are, even after a minute or so of listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    47 minutes is a good length for me. I don't know why artists feel as though they need to fill every second of the 80 minutes on a cd.
    Flaw #1 of a lot of 90's & 00's albums.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not only is Contrapasso way too long (almost triple what it needed to be) , it's anything but varied. You can't tell in which song you are, even after a minute or so of listening.
    I can tell exactly in which song I am, but that happened after many, many listens, it's very complex stuff. As for the variety issue, songs contain a lot of variety in themselves but there is a certain atmosphere emanating from the album as a whole. It's dark, it's crazy, it's humorous - it reminds me of old David Lynch movies. Apart from Phoenix and maybe Convulsion everything else is flawless. This is just my opinion of course - rarely do I enjoy anymore a new album as I do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's dark, it's crazy, it's humorous - it reminds me of old David Lynch movies. Apart from Phoenix and maybe Convulsion everything else is flawless. This is just my opinion of course - rarely do I enjoy anymore a new album as I do this.
    I'm gonna spin it again this weekend for checkers. For the record, I still like the band very much. I simply thought there were assets to 'passo that didn't quite seem to fit them.

I'm gonna spin it again this weekend for checkers. For the record, I still like the band very much. I simply thought there were assets to 'passo that didn't quite seem to fit them.
    I need to go back to it as well. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as CotS. There's definitely one track on Passo that I like (the one where the singer who sang most/all of the first album sings). Aside from that I found it a mixed bag, with parts I liked and parts that didn't grab me (I think a lot of that "crazy/humorous" stuff was something of a put-off to me). And it is long, thought the new Accordo dei Contrari album is nearly 80 minutes, and I can get through that easily - so ultimately it comes down to liking the material.

Bill