Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse 8/21/17 Where Were You?

We had some passing clouds, which was a perfect scenario. The clouds would block it and we'd be able to look at it with the naked eye, just as it was coming back into view, but before it got bright. We did the box trick, too. But, just using a piece of foil with a hole and projecting that on white paper was better than the box.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We had some passing clouds, which was a perfect scenario. The clouds would block it and we'd be able to look at it with the naked eye, just as it was coming back into view, but before it got bright. We did the box trick, too. But, just using a piece of foil with a hole and projecting that on white paper was better than the box.
    My wife called me and suggested I get out the colander and project it onto a piece of paper.. that worked great..

According to the nightly news it was a great kumbaya moment in America.
    All divisions paused for a couple of minutes.
    Did You Feel The Love?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I put a pinhole in a paper plate and projected it onto a piece of white paper, worked pretty well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I watched it by looking at the sun's reflection in the water at the marina, and also using the cell phone "selfie" trick.

The cell phone thing didn't work for me at all.

I used to be heavily into photography, but I no longer have good equipment. I've been promising myself some serious upgrades for a long time - but something always seems to have a higher demand for my meager $$.

So all I could do was take a pseudo DSLR, mount it on a tripod, zoom in on the sun, and hold 2 pairs of polaroid sunglasses at right-angles to one another ... all very 'Rube Goldberg', and this was the best I could get:

We were supposed to have 85% to 90% totality here in Maryland. It barely got any darker at all.
    Regards,

Duncan

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    My inlaws booked a week at their fractional share resort in Oregon (we live in Victoria, BC) months ago. Little did they, or we, know that the location, laying between Redmond and Sisters is on the southern edge of the Path of Totality. How cool is that! (perhaps 10 degrees or so ) Apparently we'll get under 10 seconds of totality here at the resort yet only 30 minutes or so away in Madras they'll have over 2 minutes. Anyway, a nice bonus to our vacation.
    Well, it was all it was billed to be. It began with a vague sense of change in sunlight and rapidly morphed into what seemed like the onset of dusk. Eerie to say the least. Then, in the span of 5 or so minutes it went from the beginning of dusk to near-night. The temperature dropped a good 10 degrees while we were watching. Perhaps more. We had 15 to 20 seconds of totality where we could view the eclipse without protective wear. Awesome!

^^ COOL!

The next one will be less than 100 miles north of us. I hope to see it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

We were supposed to have 85% to 90% totality here in Maryland. It barely got any darker at all.
    We were supposed to have 80%, but as I watched it, I don't think it got past 45%-50%. Still, it was spectacular in a way, and somewhat awe inspiring.

IMG_1759.jpg A friend took this today at Madras,OR AirPort
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    IMG_1759.jpg A friend took this today at Madras,OR AirPort
    Very cool
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

We had 92% here in Seattle, enough to get eerily dark but not pitch black. With eclipse glasses I could see just a sliver of sun remaining. It was nowhere near as overwhelming as Madras OR.

The cell phone thing didn't work for me at all.

I used to be heavily into photography, but I no longer have good equipment. I've been promising myself some serious upgrades for a long time - but something always seems to have a higher demand for my meager $$.

So all I could do was take a pseudo DSLR, mount it on a tripod, zoom in on the sun, and hold 2 pairs of polaroid sunglasses at right-angles to one another ... all very 'Rube Goldberg', and this was the best I could get:

Thanks, Photobucket ... I'll have to change to Flickr or something...

Meantime, here's the image - if you click the icon below, it will show full size.

Attachment 10663
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'll have 93% totality but I'll be in front of my TV, watching live coast-to-coast coverage on the Weather Channel. I figure that'll be safer and a lot more informative.

I remember a few other eclipses. I'm not sure I'll structure the day around one.
    Agreed. Really not a big deal.

Thanks, Photobucket ... I'll have to change to Flickr or something...
    Not something I know about personally, but many people put off by Photobucket are switching to Imgur, and claim it's user friendly.

My wife drove across town to watch it with me. Our company provided a small number of eclipse glasses which, being at a "remote" site, meant one pair for our entire building (about 15 people). I built one of those pinhole box things just for fun. It worked okay, but now I have 7 years to improve my design. We only were about 65% so it wasn't that dramatic.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ COOL!

The next one will be less than 100 miles north of us. I hope to see it.
    The 2024 one will only be about a 2 hour drive (or less) from us too. I hope to be long retired by then (and hopefully still alive) to go somewhere to check it out.

I was in Myrtle Beach. We had intended to come here over the summer, but this week was a good option for obvious reasons. Unfortunately it got pretty cloudy 30 minutes before the peak, however it did start clearing up about 5 minutes after the peak (thanks for the troll) and still was able to latter half.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The 2024 one will only be about a 2 hour drive (or less) from us too. I hope to be long retired by then (and hopefully still alive) to go somewhere to check it out.
    2024 will run through Erie, PA where I grew up, so I'll definitely be there.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    2024 will run through Erie, PA where I grew up, so I'll definitely be there.
    Yep, that's where I'll be. We live just north of Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    We had 92% here in Seattle, enough to get eerily dark but not pitch black. With eclipse glasses I could see just a sliver of sun remaining. It was nowhere near as overwhelming as Madras OR.
    Here in Alabama, we had about 97%. It also got eerily dark here, but even with that tiny amount of sun remaining it still stayed brighter than I'd have expected. The cicadas started buzzing though, like they thought it was evening time.

It was pretty cool to watch it happen with eclipse glasses, and actually see the shadow moving across the sun when the eclipse peaked.

We were in Lebanon TN (about 20 miles east of Nashville) and had good skies and about 2 minutes 20 seconds of totality. Quite spectacular! The drive back to Baltimore however was the pits. Traffic was bad everywhere leaving the areas of totality.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I had a dime for every solar eclipse I've seen, I'd have 2 dimes. Or maybe 3, I forget.

Has anyone heard if Wendy Carlos was attending? She's been a dedicated eclipse photographer for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    If I had a dime for every solar eclipse I've seen, I'd have 2 dimes. Or maybe 3, I forget.
    Same here, and I'd have a few nickels for the number of lunar eclipses I've seen.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.