Thread: Pink Floyd Trance Remix albums

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Pink Floyd Trance Remix albums

Did anyone ever figure out for sure who did those Pink Floyd trance remix CDs that were out there in bootleg shops in the 90s? I have a couple and was just listening to some on YT. I know there were rumors about who it might be (one of the guys from The Orb, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube
    In the early 90s several remixes of Pink Floyd's studio discography appeared on the music scene. Although audio samples from British ambient techno group The Orb were used in the remixes, Orb has never confirmed or denied involvement in the project(s). David Gilmour's collaboration on The Orb's "Metallic Spheres" studio EP would seem to make the origin of the trance remixes a foregone conclusion.

^To the contrary, I think the fact that Gilmour was willing to work with the Orb (years later) is good evidence that at least he doesn't suspect them of being responsible for those crappy releases. I'm sure if the Orb had been involved, they would have done a much better job.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yeah, I used to hang out in a particular record shop a lot in the early to mid 90's and they sold a lot of bootlegs, those Floyd trance ones among them. Is it the case that I could carve the name Pink Floyd into the crusty skin of cow sh*t and someone would buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Is it the case that I could carve the name Pink Floyd into the crusty skin of cow sh*t and someone would buy it?
    Wasn't that a promotional item for "Atom Heart Mother"?
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Wasn't that a promotional item for "Atom Heart Mother"?
    Good call!

It wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did anyone ever figure out for sure who did those Pink Floyd trance remix CDs that were out there in bootleg shops in the 90s? I have a couple and was just listening to some on YT. I know there were rumors about who it might be (one of the guys from The Orb, etc.).
    You mean the Dark Side Of The Moog stuff with Bill Laswell? I have a few of those CDs although I can't recall the last time I ever spun one of them. I enjoy them when I play them though.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    You mean the Dark Side Of The Moog stuff with Bill Laswell? I have a few of those CDs although I can't recall the last time I ever spun one of them. I enjoy them when I play them though.
    Nope. Here's the tray card from one I have:

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm sure if the Orb had been involved, they would have done a much better job.
    Exactly. I would imagine whoever made them wanted to at least *imply* it was them - hence the "fluffy cloud" version
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I've seen (but never been tempted to listen to!) a few of these over the years...for bootlegs they had fairly wide circulation.

I vaguely recall hearing one of these somehow...not something I'd ever care to hear again.

They came about during that "lovely" phase in the industry in the mid/late 90's when I would go to Tower to look for CDs by some Famous Band, and most everything in the bin was remix albums, the String Quartet Tribute To Famous Band, a Purple Pyramid/Cleopatra/Magna Carta tribute album, thirteen different "Greatest Hits" that were suspiciously devoid of actual hits, oh and usually a Symphonic Famous Band.

I suppose if there's any upside to the more-or-less total collapse of the music retail industry, it's that all that dreck went at the same time.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I do like the Jaz Coleman/Youth disc Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd. They also did a similar disc of Zep covers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm going to have to do some digging in my collection but I believe I have a Symphonic Genesis CD with Ian Anderson guesting on flute.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nope. Here's the tray card from one I have:

Have no idea what that is. Was that ever sanctioned by the band?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Have no idea what that is. Was that ever sanctioned by the band?
    No, they were bootlegs. You can find the tracks on YouTube.