Thread: Just discovered these guys - anyone else heard of them?!

Just discovered these guys - anyone else heard of them?!

found this the other day from band 'Dworniak Bone Lapsa'. looks like robert wyatt guested on one of their tracks. love their stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEyoh-j-rU

Reminds me strongly of Dark Side... era Floyd.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I thought this was going to be a thread about 'them'

I like it. Thanks!

That was great, thanks! It's funny - from the look of the video, it just screamed early/mid 70s to me (not a bad thing at all !) Was surprised to find their album came out in 2015. I thought I was discovering some rare treasure from 40 years ago. Definitely looking into these guys some more!
    http://dworniakbonelapsa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    It's funny - from the look of the video, it just screamed early/mid 70s to me (not a bad thing at all !)
    That's what I thought at first. But there's one "tell": look at how old the band are. Even with the Seventies equipment - the Rhodes, ARP Solina, and EMS Synthi - these guys are plainly in their fifties, at least some of them. So it has to be recent.

I love how the clip starts with a soft-focus close-up of something visually inconsequential before sharpening and panning out to the full band — that's a very '70s UK camera effect, as seen at the start of the video for "You're My Best Friend" by Queen and in the "All You Pretty Things" OGWT clip by Bowie.

However, some of the clothes and hairdos are a dead giveaway that this couldn't date from the '70s. The drapery of the bassist's shirt — as well as his layered, tapered haircut — are much more '80s than '70s. Also, the steel guitarist's shirt features loose underarm draping and a bold, dotted print, the likes of which wouldn't have predated the early '80s.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Reminds me strongly of Dark Side... era Floyd.
    Definitely. Me likey!

I'm thinking some of these people might be from that band that goes around performing classic rock albums - I saw them do DSOTM a year or so ago. Could be wrong.

It's on Spotify, BTW.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The title of their album, Fingers Pointing At The Moon, in addition to sounding Floydian, seems maybe to come from this scene from Enter the Dragon. Sort of.

got my vinyl copy through their website today. very impressed. 44 minutes of - imho - quality music.. interested to hear more from them!

Been digging this today. A band that gets zero play on this site, but definitely should. A little poppy but overall very creative.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about 'them'

Me as well. Them, starring Van Morrison!

I just gave the album a shot. Didn't do much for me. Nothing about it came off as progressive. Not that that's a requirement for me to enjoy it, but it just sounded a little mainstreamy and uninteresting.