Thread: Linda Perhacs

Linda Perhacs

On a whim while in a youtube fugue, I saw an album by an psych folk singer named Linda Perhacs; the record was called parallelograms. Turned out to be spectacularly good, and I could not understand why I had not heard of her back in the day (1970). So, I looked her up on wikipedia, only to find she had a current web page. And in going through her site, I found she has a link to prog sincea number of prog musicians, including Mikael Akerveldt of Opeth, have covered her songs. Cool! Anyone know of her?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I don't know much about her, but I own Parallelograms.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Her album is really good although she was not well known. Kind of like a trippier Joni Mitchell. I gave my original copy of the vinyl record away as a gift only to find that it's worth quite a lot when it appears on eBay.

Wow - this is fantastic! I haven't finished listening to the album yet, but I have enjoyed every song so far. The voice, songs, and accompaniment are all first rate. What a crime that this was ignored when it first came out. Thanks for posting about it.

I'd like to buy this album. The MP3 album at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Parallelograms...pr_product_top) has all of the bonus tracks from the various CD reissues. This is apparently the Sunbeam 2010 reissue. What is the sound quality like? Some people on Amazon say that at least one of the reissues had questionable sound quality.

Has anyone downloaded these MP3s? If so, what do you think? Thanks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's an awesome album - where did Akerfeldt cover her music?

From her website:

Mikael Akerfeldt About Linda Perhacs:

"Well, I love Linda through her music. I met her once in LA (House of Blues) and she was amazing. I just want to do everything I can so that she gets more recognition. For me, she is up there with Joni Mitchelle and Laura Nyro and Buffy Saint Marie. Very, very unique! She is my idol basically--"

Linda about Mikael--

When I saw Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth perform my song “Parallelograms” at the House of Blues in Hollywood a few years ago, I was so amazed. He is like the Great Nordic wind doing a low voiced Wahaaahhhhhh!!! Combined with the biggest, warmest heart you could imagine!

What a combo!! Step aside, ladies, here comes a true Norseman!

While my music is like soft delicate rain, his is magnum powered! And yet, in talking with all of them after their set at the House of Blues, there is a vibe: an invisible essence you feel when someone knows and respects the natural forces of the universe--- like the balances and the winds and mountains and waters etc. He has this deep essence in him. It is a quietness and respect people feel for one another when this unspoken essence is in them. He is a true brother and a friend forever.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Some people on Amazon say that at least one of the reissues had questionable sound quality.
    Wasn't one reissue pressed off center, or something like that?

One of the best US folk/psych obscurities of the late 60s early 70s. It was on my want list for ages since finally Michael Piper (RIP) reissued it in his Wild Places label, back in 1998. Guess that her album have been rediscovered around 2003-2005 with the rising (underground) popularity of the "New Weird America" scene.

Similar recommendations are the 1973 album by hawaiian THESE TRAILS and Jan & Lorraine's "Gypsy people" (1969) LP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

In a few of the articles I read about Perhacs, there was mention of These Trails. I will have to check that out.

Suspended
    I don't know what made me do a search on her name before starting a thread of my own, because I never dreamed there would already be a thread.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that she has a new album out - about 40 years after the first one - and local station RTRfm has been playing a few tracks. The album title is something like "The Soul of All Natural Things"; it sounds amazing, and her voice has certainly aged well.

MMMhhh!!!... I've been waiting for weeks to get my hands and ears on her new album ivia my library system

Her voice might have aged werll, but her face less so
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    MMMhhh!!!... I've been waiting for weeks to get my hands and ears on her new album ivia my library system

Her voice might have aged werll, but her face less so
    I can't find any information on her date of birth, or much biographical detail at all, but if Parallelograms was released in 1970, that probably puts her in her mid to late 60's. Not everyone is able to hold on to their youthful looks.

Phoebe Snow is another singer who was no oil painting, to say the least, but had a beautiful voice and a great talent for songwriting. For some reason no one expects the male "old hands" of rock to still look like heartthrobs when they turn 60 or 70, but a lot of importance still seems to be attached to how a veteran female singer looks (and I'm not suggesting that you were guilty of that, just saying it's a general attitude).

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I can't find any information on her date of birth, or much biographical detail at all.
    http://tinyurl.com/q2yxrz8
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Music like this generally isnt my cup-o-tea but that was very very enjoyable -- thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I can't find any information on her date of birth, or much biographical detail at all, but if Parallelograms was released in 1970, that probably puts her in her mid to late 60's. Not everyone is able to hold on to their youthful looks.
    Yeah, I didn't mean much by it...just the reaction when I saw the album's sleeve.

Not that she was an extraordinary beauty in the early 70's either
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.