Thread: Max Webster box set

Max Webster box set

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/n...s-max-webster/

** Come September 29, Max Webster will get the box set treatment with The Party, featuring newly remastered albums, a ton of unreleased studio and live songs, the long-out-of print and highly collectable Kim Mitchell self-titled EP and a 32-page booklet packed with rare photos and memorabilia.**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is the best news I've read on PE in a long time! Saw them plenty of times in the 1970s . I love the Mighty Max's music. Great new! Thanks.\
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Oh Yeah! Thanks for the link to purchase too. $67 Canadian delivered on my pre-order (about $40 U.S. - my guess). It includes Live Magnetic Air that goes for $135 U.S. on Ebay.

When Max regularly backed-up Rush back in the day, I enjoyed Max's shows the most.

From the press release:

TORONTO, ON - ole Label Group announced today, September 29, 2017 will see the release of the definitive 8-disc vinyl and CD box sets, for Canadian hard rock icons Max Webster. The Party (ole Label Group / Anthem Legacy / Universal Music Canada), will feature newly re-mastered albums, exclusive unreleased studio and live songs, the long-out-of print Kim Mitchell self-titled EP and a comprehensive booklet packed with rare photos and memorabilia. The Party will be available for pre-order via Musicvaultz.com from August 9, 2017 onwards.

"I've been trying since the day I was first hired at Anthem Records over 12 years ago to re release the Max Webster catalogue and the Kim Mitchell E.P. Finally seeing this happen is a thrill," said Andy Curran, Senior Consultant - A&R, ole Label Group."There is no other band like them, I'm a massive fan and Kim has been a huge influence on me and so many Canadian musicians...it's about time!"

"The re-mastered records beautifully present more musical detail for your ears to chew on, as well we unearthed and mixed never heard before songs. You'll hear different musical approaches/arrangements as we worked it out in the studio and live," said Kim Mitchell. "We've included the warm sound of quality vinyl in the package. I kept thinking 'where has some of this been for all these years', we carefully picked moments for the box set where the band proved it was definitely strapped to a foreign rock 'n' roll."

The complete Max Webster vinyl box set includes a thirty-two page booklet, filled with rare photos, quotes and memorabilia, a vintage Max Webster poster, a Universal Juveniles fan club ID card and an introductory foreword by Q107's John Derringer. The vinyl and CD box sets include the newly re-mastered albums Max Webster, High Class in Borrowed Shoes, Mutiny Up My Sleeve, A Million Vacations, Live Magnetic Air, Universal Juveniles, Kim Mitchell EP and special edition The Bootleg which features unreleased studio and live tracks remixed by Terry Brown and Greg Wells.

Formed in 1973, Max Webster soon became one of the most original and popular rock bands in Canada. Their first three albums, Max Webster (1976), High Class in Borrowed Shoes (1977) and Mutiny Up My Sleeve (1978) achieved gold status in Canada. Their platinum selling album A Million Vacations (1979) saw the first single "Let Go The Line" reach No. 41 on the Canadian charts and the follow up "A Million Vacations" hit No. 80 in Canada. The album's third and final single "Paradise Skies" reached No. 21 in Canada and No. 43 on the UK Singles chart. The band appeared on "Top of the Pops" in 1979 and headlined two New Year's Eve shows at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens. Max Webster were also close friends of fellow Canadian rock Icons Rush. In a 1979 interview, Rush bassist and vocalist Geddy Lee, commented that he enjoyed their music and both bands frequently toured together in Canada, the USA and the U.K. during the 1970s.The band went on to be twice nominated for JUNO Awards for 'Group of the Year' in 1980 and 1981 respectively.

Listen to The Bootleg 4 Song Unreleased Teaser here:

I ordered mine today. With the current Euro vs. Canadian Dollar rate the cd version was as pricy as 50 euros and that includes shipping! :o Can't complain even 'though I have the lot on vinyl and the first three as Rock Candy remastered cd's too. The best band ever!

It pays to do a search on PE before you buy anything, folks.

I ordered the 5 main albums separately just a few hours ago on Amazon. Then moments ago I decided to gut check PE for any news or information regarding releases. Boing. Immediately canceled the 3 orders placed with vendors hours ago and ordered the boxed set. Looking forward to October 6th. I admit to knowing of the band since the 80s via Battle Scar duet with Rush, however, I never really dug into their music because of the vocals. These days I am making an effort to look past subpar vocals to discover the hidden gems I've missed out on over the decades. The musicianship is top notch. The songs are colorful. (some of) The production is Terry Brown. I'm finally in.

Thanks PE and all of its diligent members!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

It all depends on your perspective - I find Kim Mitchel's vocals excellent. The Box set is a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It all depends on your perspective - I find Kim Mitchel's vocals excellent. The Box set is a great deal.
    Me too, he has a great voice and Terry Watkinson's singing complements him perfectly. Gary McCracken's not so much but he sings only one song. Their biggest hit it was too!

I got the box set yesterday and it sounds excellent ("Mutiny" seems finally to have gained some long lost bottom end) and the bonus disc "The Bootleg" has some gems, especially the unreleased "Walden 5" and live version of "Research At Beach Resorts". 10 years ago I probably would have paid 50 bucks for that cd.

The packaging was a big letdown 'though. There's no box, just a big flimsy slipcase to house all the cd's. All have gatefold cardboard covers but don't have all the info the original sleeves had, for example there's no lyrics anywhere which is a shame since Pye Dubois' work was and is a big part of the Webster charm.
    There's no booklet of any kind. I'm not sure if it was reserved only for the vinyl box but it was definitely not advertised that it was only included within that.

Saw this had dropped to $39 on Amazon Canada, so I grabbed it and it arrived today. Nice little 'no frills' set. This one isn't a beauty to behold on the shelf, it's just all about the tunes and it's great to finally have the long out of print titles like Live Magnetic Air and the debut Kim Mitchell EP on CD. For that price, this one was a no-brainer!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

just found out about this.

How are the sonics on the CDs version of the boxset??
    Oddly enough, I never saw a Wenster vinyl as a gatefold, though!!
    do the gatefold sleeves hold the lyrics?
    Does the CD boxset also come with the 32p booklet??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    just found out about this.

1) How are the sonics on the CDs version of the boxset??
    Oddly enough, I never saw a Wenster vinyl as a gatefold, though!!
    2( do the gatefold sleeves hold the lyrics?
    3) Does the CD boxset also come with the 32p booklet??
    1) I'm not an audiophile but they sound fine to me.
    2) No
    3) No

It's at a budget price and stripped down Box Set. It has the full discography and a Kim Mitchel CD and some rarities. They are in very nice gatefold sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    1) I'm not an audiophile but they sound fine to me.
    2) No
    3) No

It's at a budget price and stripped down Box Set. It has the full discography and a Kim Mitchel CD and some rarities. They are in very nice gatefold sleeves.
    quick reply thanx

then, what's inside the gatefold, then?? unreleased artworks?

Amazon proposes the thing at 76.00€, which doesn't sound budget prices
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    quick reply thanx

then, what's inside the gatefold, then?? unreleased artworks?

Amazon proposes the thing at 76.00€, which doesn't sound budget prices
    I aim to please! There is no unreleased artwork. It looks like the LP they originally appeared on. I bought it directly from the distributor and paid under $50. The Live Magnetic Air CD is OOP and goes for huge prices on Ebay.

Still $39.97 on Amazon Canada. Worth it for that price.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Now also available through Pledge: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects...ster-the-party

got a friend that bought the CD boxset (saw that last month), and I'm not impressed by the cheapo quality (especially at European prices)

There is some "unreleased inner gatefold arts, but overall nothing that would want me to own it.

The only thing that would make me change my mind is comparing the CD reissue to the "remastered" boxset to see if it has improved the sonics or not.

I don't have any of this stuff on CD so I might be tempted to take the plunge. Pity the CD box doesn't have the booklet.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hey guys

When I spotted this thread I had a look at the box set, but couldn't afford the physical version. I then made a quick visit to 7Digital and they had the whole set for sale as a download for £15 (20 dollars?)

So is it worth taking a dip into? Here's my take on it after an intensive weekend listening to all things Max:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/max-webster-the-party-2017/

In Canada 7Digital has it for about $60! Too bad. Anyway, I was looking for a good online hi-rez retailer, and I didn't know about 7digital. Thank you Valen!!!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    In Canada 7Digital has it for about $60! Too bad. Anyway, I was looking for a good online hi-rez retailer, and I didn't know about 7digital. Thank you Valen!!!
    Happy to help out.

I've used 7Digital a fair bit over the past few years, and very few hassles. I like the fact that they tell you upfront what bit rate they offer for an album - unlike Bandcamp and Burning Shed, where you only discover the (low) bit rate after you've purchased.

Check out this quote (from an upcoming Max Webster coffee table book) about the night Max and Brand X opened for Genesis in Toronto, summer '78:

The hometown band was given a hero's welcome. However, all was not initially well, as some of the crowd was not too kind towards Brand X. Most people's musical tastes tended to be much more rigid in the 1970s than they are today, and there are countless stories of rock fans shouting obscenities and/or throwing projectiles of various sorts at bands who played other genres of music. In the case of Brand X on this night it was Percy Jones who saw the worst of it, as some punters thought he looked like Fidel Castro(!) Not long into their set the band were pummeled with HoneyDew juice cartons, which many underage fans mixed booze into. Some fans noticed a furious Phil Collins sidestage as this was happening (Collins was not in Brand X in 1978, although he'd return the following year). It eventually devolved into a full-blown food fight in the audience.