Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YES 50 Announcement

YES 50 Announcement

Coming soon -

*** Published on Aug 4, 2017
    "Patterns understood by you, reaching out beyond and before..."
    On 3rd August, 1968, YES played their first concert at the East Mersea Youth Camp in Essex. Today, 4th Aug 2017, YES is entering our 50th year in existence, with the first night of the #YESTIVAL USA & Canada Tour at White Oak Amphitheatre at Greensboro Coliseum Complex, North Carolina, USA. We are so pleased to be playing for you tonight and on this Tour. We have some exciting announcements coming up soon about #YES50 - our 50th Anniversary celebrations planned for 2018 - we'll keep you updated on yesworld.com. All of us in YES hope you will join us in celebrating the life and legacy of our wonderful band, and we would most of all like to express our gratitude to our incredible fans who have stuck with us for all these years.
    "Time, like gold dust, brings mind down.." ***
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Coming soon -

*** Published on Aug 4, 2017
    "Patterns understood by you, reaching out beyond and before..."
    On 3rd August, 1968, YES played their first concert at the East Mersea Youth Camp in Essex. Today, 4th Aug 2017, YES is entering our 50th year in existence, with the first night of the #YESTIVAL USA & Canada Tour at White Oak Amphitheatre at Greensboro Coliseum Complex, North Carolina, USA. We are so pleased to be playing for you tonight and on this Tour. We have some exciting announcements coming up soon about #YES50 - our 50th Anniversary celebrations planned for 2018 - we'll keep you updated on yesworld.com. All of us in YES hope you will join us in celebrating the life and legacy of our wonderful band, and we would most of all like to express our gratitude to our incredible fans who have stuck with us for all these years.
    "Time, like gold dust, brings mind down.." ***
    1. 50 years ago Steve Howe was in Tomorrow, Chris Squire was in the Syn, Jon was releasing piffle under the pseudonym Hans Christian Anderson... in other words, there was no Yes 50 years ago. This whole jumping-the-gun-on-milestone-anniversaries thing really annoys me, even when it comes from my favorite band.
    2. Interesting that the song they chose to quote from was written by guys who weren't even in Yes at the time. And curious that a key song in their marketing plan isn't in the current setlist (not yet, at least.) I'm wondering if they chose it to make sure that Jon Anderson (via Brian Lane) wouldn't have a snit.
    3. Why the f*ck is there no audio with that animation? This is about a rock band, gang.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Good point Paulrus.
    The first YES album (which is not considered amazing by consensus) was released July 25, 1969.
    The marketing should be praising YES48............................

The 50 isn't about the years, it's the BPM on the songs
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    The marketing should be praising YES48............................
    Perhaps management doesn't think they'll make it to 50? ( dark humor!)

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The 50 isn't about the years, it's the BPM on the songs
    OOOOOOOOOoooooohhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

That's it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    1. 50 years ago Steve Howe was in Tomorrow, Chris Squire was in the Syn, Jon was releasing piffle under the pseudonym Hans Christian Anderson... in other words, there was no Yes 50 years ago. This whole jumping-the-gun-on-milestone-anniversaries thing really annoys me, even when it comes from my favorite band.
    2. Interesting that the song they chose to quote from was written by guys who weren't even in Yes at the time. And curious that a key song in their marketing plan isn't in the current setlist (not yet, at least.) I'm wondering if they chose it to make sure that Jon Anderson (via Brian Lane) wouldn't have a snit.
    3. Why the f*ck is there no audio with that animation? This is about a rock band, gang.
    Well, they are entering their 50th year, (maybe? - the band has not existed continuously since 1968) which is what the copy represented.

That said, neither Steve Howe nor any member of his covers band was in Yes at that time - that was still years away.

It took me awhile to realize there was a "50" in that logo. Maybe they need to revise it!

Looks a bit lumpy, eh?

The soft bevel doesn't help it, and perhaps makes it even worse than it already is. The 5 looks like an E, it looks like anything but a #5, and the "0" looks like a degree symbol.

It's poorly conceived. If Dean did this he needs to retire or get a new set of glasses. If a YES graphic minion did this, he should start a new company with the guy who did the YES ARW logo. They are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    If a YES graphic minion did this, he should start a new company with the guy who did the YES ARW logo. They are winning.
    Oh come on. It's not that bad.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Is this the reunion band in which Jon scales down a rope from a military helicopter wearing army camouflage and sporting a chainsaw of a tambourine? The opener after that happens is "Teakbois".

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The soft bevel doesn't help it, and perhaps makes it even worse than it already is. The 5 looks like an E, it looks like anything but a #5, and the "0" looks like a degree symbol.

It's poorly conceived. If Dean did this he needs to retire or get a new set of glasses. If a YES graphic minion did this, he should start a new company with the guy who did the YES ARW logo. They are winning.
    Yeah, the bevel is very Photoshop 3.0. I am 99% sure that Roger Dean had nothing to do with this. He may have sketched out the general design, but I have a hard time believing this came from his studio.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

IMO, they should have quit while they were ahead.........40 years ago

The band's first show under the "Yes" name was in 3 August 1968, so Yes entered their fiftieth year on 3 Aug 2017. (It's like the Korean way of counting your age: when you are born, you enter your first year, so you are 1.) That's the rationale. Of course, the Yes performing on 3 August 1968 wasn't very different to the Mabel Greer's Toyshop that performed on 27 July 1968. Anderson/Squire/Bruford had been playing together in MGTS since early June. Yes, as we know it, kind of emerged from the late June 1968 period. And, of course of course, the Yes that did play in 1968 consisted of two people who have passed away, one that has retired, one that is partially retired, and one that is touring in a rival Yes band.

On the other hand, before Facelift complains again, I think it would be misleading to see the #YES50 campaign as just (official/Howe's/continuity/whatever you call it) Yes's campaign. This is as much Warner's doing. Warner own Atlantic, who, more or less, own everything Yes did from the first album through to Big Generator. Money talks (to quote Greg Lake on a song written with Geoff Downes) and it's Warner who are funding activities in order to make money. I bet the logo was paid for by Warner. And, whoever is in what band now, the money made will go to the people who were that at the time... and to Warner. #YES50 is going to make a fair whack of money for Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin, as well as Howe, White etc., as well as Moraz, Squire's estate, etc. Anderson wants his band to be the Yes band, but he isn't going to complain at Warner selling stuff and sending him the royalties.

And given there is money to be made, you don't wait until 3 August 2018 and have a small party on the day. You milk the anniversary across the whole of 2018, and before. And why not? Not many bands do make it to 50 (one way or the other) and Yes are a great band. More than a year of celebration isn't a bad thing for Yes fans, because it means lots of interesting Yes stuff for us to enjoy.

That's the interesting question: what does #YES50 mean for the consumer? Well, both bands are planning big tours through 2018. The latest news, from backstage gossip on the Yes tour, is that they'll start with a career retrospective box set covering studio and live, and then there's the possibility of archival live material in a sequel to The Word is Live. ARW are also planning a new album, and Yes are hinting at one too. What I've heard suggests there's going to be something for everyone: if you like today's two bands, great, you can see them live and get new albums. Many people are more interested in archival recordings and there's plenty still in the vaults.

Precisely what, we don't know yet, but my feelings are that fans will be pleased. A career retrospective set could go either way: a greatest hits compilation might sell well, but won't excite interest here. A greatest hits compilation with a few rarities will interest people, but be annoying when you have to buy a big thing for the few tracks you want. I have higher hopes for what we'll get. I look at something like Howe's forthcoming Anthology 2: 3 CDs for the price of 2 CDs, including 1 CD of previously unreleased material. That's a good balance.

What's more interesting is more archival live material. The Word is Live was a great set, almost entirely unreleased material. More like that, or something along the lines of Progeny could go down very well, depending on what material can be found. There has been talk of a Progeny-style release covering the Union tour, which would interest me less than '70s material, but we know there's also been some work to track down '70s material.

If there are releases forthcoming, when will they be available? A good time to sell big box sets is the run-up to Xmas. So, launch the campaign now with Yes beginning their tour, release information bit by bit to keep people interested, with something maybe going on sale October time, say, for the Xmas market...? Then tease with more news, get another release ready for the first half of 2018...? Big summer tour, then maybe more at the end of the year...???

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    50 years ago Steve Howe was in Tomorrow, Chris Squire was in the Syn, Jon was releasing piffle under the pseudonym Hans Christian Anderson... in other words, there was no Yes 50 years ago. This whole jumping-the-gun-on-milestone-anniversaries thing really annoys me, even when it comes from my favorite band.
    Hans Christian Anderson was early 1968. Anderson was still in The Warriors 50 years ago. There's a book and archival release of The Warriors coming too, taking advantage of the anniversary publicity.

Henry

Any word on continuing the Steven Wilson surround remixes? Going for the one in 5.1 ???

Speaking personally, The Word Is Live approach is too scattergun.

I'm glad to have it, there's some material unavailable elsewhere ('It's Love', the live 'We Can Fly From Here' etc.) and it has a few late 70s live set regulars which Yesshows did not ('The Big Medley', 'Awaken', 'Future Times/Rejoice' etc.) so fills in that gap. However, whilst it's a good thing that Yes went through so many musical changes, it sounds somewhat disjointed in one set. Some inclusions like tune-ups etc. also make little sense outside of a presentation of one full show.

Trying to please the Yes fanbase is a tall order! Out of known multi-tracks, I think the biggest gap for me is some sort of CD representation of the Moraz-era band live. All there has ever been that I know of, offhand, are the two epics on Yesshows and a bit of the 2nd disc of The Word Is Live. Another is the 1977 tour with Wakeman which again has barely been acknowledged other than a tiny bit of Yesshows.

I have to admit I am less interested in their post-70s live recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    Any word on continuing the Steven Wilson surround remixes? Going for the one in 5.1 ???
    The current plan is that there will be no more. Wilson said last year that, "Multitrack tapes are unavailable for the other key albums in the Yes catalogue, so unless that situation changes, [Tales] will be the final release in the series." It appears they can't find multitracks for Going for the One or Drama. It had appeared they couldn't find them for Tormato either, although a more recent report had that these have now been found.

There was talk of doing Time and a Word, although Wilson in 2015 said he thought the first two albums wouldn't get done as sales wouldn't be good enough. It remains a mystery to me that they've not done 90125.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath for any more 5.1 remixes, but it's not impossible we might see another. There appears to be unreleased 'bonus track' material for titles like Time and a Word, Going for the One and Drama that could go on a release, or could be released in another format. Hopefully, it will come out some way.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There was talk of doing Time and a Word, although Wilson in 2015 said he thought the first two albums wouldn't get done as sales wouldn't be good enough. It remains a mystery to me that they've not done 90125.

Henry
    I would happily buy a new copy of Time and a Word with the orchestra mixed out and with more emphasis on the guitars and organ.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I would happily buy a new copy of Time and a Word with the orchestra mixed out and with more emphasis on the guitars and organ.
    Have you heard the Rhino issue with the earlier, West German release, alternate mixes from before Banks left the band of "No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed", "Sweet Dreams" and "The Prophet"? They're still with orchestra, but more favourable mixes for guitar and organ.

Henry

There's a reason why the logo looks like it was dragged through cow manure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It don't look that bad. Stop projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Have you heard the Rhino issue with the earlier, West German release, alternate mixes from before Banks left the band of "No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed", "Sweet Dreams" and "The Prophet"? They're still with orchestra, but more favourable mixes for guitar and organ.

Henry
    Not really, Henry. Thanks for the tip. In any case, I'd be delighted to hear to whole album without any orchestra at all.