Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: YEStival Spoilers & Reviews

Throw on a green top hat & a big 'ol curved pipe & Steve could be a leprechaun. Maybe lookin' for his pot-o-gold

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    No, it's not you. It's terrible.
    Which seems to be a pattern these days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The Ikon? Wow!!! Todd did tip his hat to the progginess of the event. Nice!
    I'm potentially excited about this too, but I know Utopia used to do a 4-minute version. I would bet that is what we will get.

Berklee, yes, sorry I had to edit my reply 3 times and still got it wrong.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Throw on a green top hat & a big 'ol curved pipe & Steve could be a leprechaun. Maybe lookin' for his pot-o-gold
    That's so cruel but I laughed out loud - twice.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-08-2017 at 10:58 AM.

^Very nice version of "Survival"! I wish they would do more off of the first two albums.

I noticed that at least one other Utopia member is playing with Todd.

i bought my ticket for tonight based on the bullshit "one song off each of our first 10 albums" line

based on the setlist, i'm sorry i bought the ticket

From the looks of that clip I'd say that tune was worth the price of admission alone. ^^^^ Did you get there late? It was the first tune in the set and not played live since the late 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    From the looks of that clip I'd say that tune was worth the price of admission alone. ^^^^ Did you get there late? It was the first tune in the set and not played live since the late 60s.
    No, I'm going tonight.

I think it'll be better than you expect. And then there's Todd and Carl too....

"Survival" sounds pretty dang good so far...I love how Steve Howe looks surprised at 1:50, like he was expecting something big to happen then it didn't
    I gotta say it, I love Yes, in any incarnation. The music just makes me smile.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    FINALLY... took long enough to get a clip of this up (good one too.)

OK, obsessive Yes analysis follows:
    • They dropped the last verse ("So soon the evening comes, and with it comes the aching fear of hate..."). Pity. I like that verse since it sort of pays off the message in the song leading up to that point. I guess they either didn't want to leave people with a kind of bittersweet sentiment or they wanted to shave off a bit of time.

• Steve fumbled his bit in the last little series of runs, which is arguably the hardest thing in the entire song in terms of a band performance. C'mon, Howe -- get it together!

• It's such a nice tribute to Peter Banks to see this old stuff getting played again. How(e) cool would it have been if Steve had brought out a Rickenbacker guitar for it? Oh well, only so much room in the road case and that Switchmaster is a big mutha!

Here's "Yours Is No Disgrace" with Dylan doing a fair job of channeling Bill. It must be weird for Steve to hear a totally different (and older) take on the drums for that song happening right behind him.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

They sound very good to me. Jon Davison is a very likable character I think. I'd like to see Anderson/Wakeman make up with Howe and they get together and keep Davison as a multi-instrumentalist/singer. I know this won't happen.
    Nice of Trevor Horn to lend Dylan Howe his Buggles glasses for the tour. Alan White should lose that hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    "Survival" sounds pretty dang good so far...I love how Steve Howe looks surprised at 1:50, like he was expecting something big to happen then it didn't
    I gotta say it, I love Yes, in any incarnation. The music just makes me smile.
    There's a boot of show 2 on Dimeadozen now. (Not great sound unfortunately: not certain whether that's the mix, where the taper was in the audience or the taping equipment, but, anyway, thanks to the taper for getting it up so soon.) "Survival" does pop out as a highlight of the show: a rarity for those (like me) who listen to too many shows, and a nice performance. Sherwood's great on bass. With the 50th anniversary closing, it's nice to have more neglected periods in the band's history honoured too.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I have seen three clips: Survival, Machine Messiah and Yours is no Disgrace. All three sound really strong to me. No tempo issues, the band is tight and seem to be playing with a bit more aggression. Alan does need to lose the hat! LOL! and Steve needs to keep the beard. Yes seems to be in a good place, musically, at the moment. I'm enjoying Dylan and Alan playing together too, when they are both on stage. Now they just need to go make a great album!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I do agree the tempos sound up to speed on these clips, and the band sounds good. What is the point of Alan staying on if he can't play a full set, even with assistance? If it is that much of a struggle to play, how could he be putting in a quality performance even for the songs he plays on?

Neil Peart. Bill Bruford. Phil Collins....

It's nice to hear them with Dylan Howe bringing a Bruford-esque feel to YIND. Steve still plays behind, either because he thinks it sounds good or he can't keep tempo. They need to keep Dylan on board, for sure. Rhythm section is MUCH tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    The thing is, with all those full album tours, they kind of got all the "rarities" played on those tours so there's nothing from all those albums they did that would be of interest to those wanting to hear rarities. What's left in all honesty that will thrill and excite "us"?
    Maybe Gates of Delirium? Nah, they couldn't pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Maybe Gates of Delirium? Nah, they couldn't pull it off.
    I don't think they have the chops anymore to do Gates Of Delerium.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There's a boot of show 2 on Dimeadozen now. (Not great sound unfortunately: not certain whether that's the mix, where the taper was in the audience or the taping equipment, but, anyway, thanks to the taper for getting it up so soon.)
    Sounds improves after first few songs: so perhaps the people at the mixing desk took some time to get the venue sound right.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I don't think they have the chops anymore to do Gates Of Delerium.
    They better find those chops cuz I've heard Relayer is next year.