Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Potemkine - Triton

of the new Zeuhl revue, Unit Wail is the only one I like
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^ I see what you did there.

for the oldsters

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the fascinating discussion, & the introduction to Potemkine.

Thanks to hanging around hereabouts, over the years, I've been able to take the plunge with German experimental music from the early-/mid-70s, & the nether regions of Canterbury. Zeuhl was always on my radar, but nothing I'd heard made an immediate impact. This thread turns out to have been just the entry-point for which I was looking.

Triton hit the mark spot on, immediately. This is a kind of space of structured chamber jazz Improvisation which absolutely works for me.

If it's not too much of an imposition, would anyone care to suggest where I might go next - given how much Triton hits my mark?!
    Last edited by per anporth; 08-16-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrieme Mouvement
    Laurent Thibault - Mais On Ne Peut ...
    Patrick Gauthier - Bebe Godzilla
    Yochk'o Seffer - Ghilgoul
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrieme Mouvement
    Laurent Thibault - Mais On Ne Peut ...
    Patrick Gauthier - Bebe Godzilla
    Yochk'o Seffer - Ghilgoul
    All great suggestions. Maybe also Serge Bringolf's "Strave"?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've had Triton for a few weeks.A winner, including the bonus tracks.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    All great suggestions. Maybe also Serge Bringolf's "Strave"?
    That was the next one I was going to post!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks Ian, & Steve.

I'll start checking out these recommendations.

(I sometimes feel a little like Thor Nogson in the company of these threads!)

I was going through exactly the same exercise as you a few years ago and still spend most of my time here searching out new stuff. It's nice to pass it forward for once.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the fascinating discussion, & the introduction to Potemkine.

Triton, by contrast, hit the mark spot on, immediately
    Same here

If it's not too much of an imposition, would anyone care to suggest where I might go next - given how much Triton hits my mark?!
    Weidorje
    One Shot
    Nebelnest

So, I've managed to have a bit of a listen to Serge Bringolf's "Strave", & quite enjoyed what I heard.

Funnily enough, however, the thread on Vortex sent me to Les Cycles des Thanatos, & this has slipped in alongside Potemkine as records that are getting more regular plays.

So, I've managed to have a bit of a listen to Serge Bringolf's "Strave", & quite enjoyed what I heard.
    I have both the Bringolf Strave albums and like them. I need to go back and revisit them. FWIW, I got more mileage out of them than the Vortex, but the majority opinion over in that thread seems to be pretty positive, so maybe I'm the outlier on that one. Anyway, the Strave stuff is cool.

Bill

The Strave stuff is well worth exploring, one of my happy discoveries in recent years, its good stuff.
    Ian

Funnily enough, however, the thread on Vortex sent me to Les Cycles des Thanatos, & this has slipped in alongside Potemkine as records that are getting more regular plays.
    in addition to all the other good suggestions, I'd suggest Noa's album is worth hearing:

Like Potemkine, it's at the more cerebral / less bombastic end of the Zeuhl continuum.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

^ That Noa is really good, albeit less overtly Zeuhl than the Bringolfs. Quite alright and very worthy of a listen is also the ultra-obscure Corsican band Rialzu.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks for the further recommendations. I'll check out the Noa first off!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Quite alright and very worthy of a listen is also the ultra-obscure Corsican band Rialzu.
    The Rialzu album is awfully derivative, like really derivative, of Magma. As in, some of it seems lifted straight from Köhntarkösz. But the mix of Zeuhl and Corsican polyphony is undeniably unique, and makes it worth listening to. Plus, how many albums in the Corsican tongue can you name that aren’t straight Corsican folk music?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'll add an obscure recommendation: Evohé. I'd never heard of them before, until earlier this year when they made more than 2 hours worth of archival material from the 70s available on their website: http://evohe.eu/les-morceaux/