Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Side Of The Stage They Belong On

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I've seen shows (and played my share) where everything went wrong but was somehow a fantastic gig because of how the performer(s) handled it.

Thanks A. Scherze, I enjoyed that, Very good example of what I was saying.

That was fantastic!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

In its way, rather ... Emersonian ...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Also a bit like PDQ Bach:

They used to do a show stopper, in which PDQ Bach's Sonata for Bassoon vs. Piano was on the program. However when it came time to play the piece, the stage manager (William Walters) informed the audience that the pianist (David Oei) had gone out running and hadn't returned. So Professor Peter Shickele performed the whole thing himself, playing both instruments at once. Until the final bars, where Shickele is going through the bassoon cadenza, looking increasingly desperate - and Oei, wearing a running suit and shoes, bursts in the doors at the back of the auditorium, races down the aisle, and slides across the stage on his knees to play the final chord.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    There was a tenet floating around in the Zappa band while I was there: "Timbre rules." It's a simplistic view, but often true, that the sound of an instrument can carry more weight than the notes it's playing (eg. Purple Haze on an accordion conveys a different message than Purple Haze on a distorted guitar). From this perspective, arrangement/orchestration can be as important as (or moreso than) composition. Certainly in modern pop, the texture of the recording and the quality of the sound is often of equal or greater importance to any notes being played/sung/programmed.
    Good points, though there's a whole continuum spanning composition, arrangement, etc. Timbre vs sheet music was already old when Mike Oldfield beat it to death on Hergest Ridge.

"The passages of horror just before heard are given, indeed, to the indescribable children’s chorus at quite a different pitch, and in changed orchestration and rhythms; but in the searing, susurrant tones of spheres and angels there is not one note which does not occur, with rigid correspondence, in the hellish laughter." (from Doctor Faustus, Thomas Mann, 1946)
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Love the pianist video. In my original post, there's no way said artist could watch that and say that she didn't belong on stage. Total class act.