Thread: AAJ Review: Pat Metheny: The Orchestrion Project (2CD Set)

AAJ Review: Pat Metheny: The Orchestrion Project (2CD Set)

My review of Pat Metheny's The Orchestrion Project, today at All About Jazz.

Since releasing Orchestrion (Nonesuch) in 2010 and embarking on a world tour with this behemoth of a one-man band, the guitarist has proven this was not a one-off project, bringing smaller versions of this pneumatic and solenoid-driven orchestra on the road with trios and his most recent Unity Band. But when it came to the inevitable live recording that has followed most Metheny projects since the mid-'90s, rather than leaving to chance this complex machinery and reducing the video potentials, Metheny recorded this "live" album - which includes a setlist like that of the tour - in a nearby cathedral, where a multi-angle shoot was more feasible.

The resulting DVD/3D Blu-Ray came out last fall, and was a terrific opportunity for those who'd missed the tour to find out what the hubbub was all about. Now, a two-CD set from the same recording comes out, but rather than being identical to the video releases, Metheny has shuffled the setlist order considerably, making The Orchestrion Project, the CD, a strong case for just how important the order of the songs played is to the overall experience...in this case, very different but just as good.

Review here.

I loved the original album and have the DVD on my to-buy list. It's my favorite of Pat's since The Way Up.

Lots of detail about the release, but IMO not much of a review. Did you like it, what did it sound like, what is the sound quality.... I read some of your other reviews and they all addressed the issues I think you left out of this one

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Lots of detail about the release, but IMO not much of a review. Did you like it, what did it sound like, what is the sound quality.... I read some of your other reviews and they all addressed the issues I think you left out of this one
    Sorry you feel that way. However, there's a reason I took the approach I did. Because this was a review of the same music I reviewed in the DVD release (which, as the article explains, comes from exactly the same recording, just in a different sequence), I linked to the DVD review, where you can find all that out, and focused, instead, on how a different sequence can make a tremendous difference in the listening experience.

If you didn't catch the link in the review, here it is again. While I understand what you are saying, I really saw no point in repeating myself, considering the DVD review ran less than four months ago. Hope that all makes sense. Ideally, I'd love to see folks read my DVD review and CD review back-to-back, as they are really meant to dovetail each other.

Best!
    John
    PS: One more thing: for me, it's not really that important to say whether or not I like something, I just don't think my opinion matters that much. Instead, what I hope to do with a review is articulate what a recording is about so that the reader can decide for him or herself whether or not he/she wants to check it out. So, ideally, the DVD review combined with this review does the trick. And let's not forget that, according to Merriam-Webster, a review can be:

Noun:
    a. an act of inspecting or examining
    b. an explanatory and critical account of an artistic production or performance (and, in most of my writing, the emphasis is on explanatory)
    c. a retrospective view or survey

As a verb:
    a. to take a view of : examine with consideration or attention
    Last edited by jkelman; 02-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.

I've watched and enjoyed the blu-ray for a while now, but I'm really looking forward to the CD. Silly as it might seem, I appreciate music most when it's divorced from visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    One more thing: for me, it's not really that important to say whether or not I like something, I just don't think my opinion matters that much.
    Taking this as a general point rather than referring specifically the reviews in question, I respectfully disagree. To me as a reader, I'm always curious about the critic's personal opinion. I won't always (or even often) agree with it, but it is part of how I engage with the writing.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

PS: One more thing: for me, it's not really that important to say whether or not I like something, I just don't think my opinion matters that much.
    I've long been a big fan of your AAJ reviews - super informative and very well written. I too, though, would enjoy them even more if you gave us even just a little glimpse of your opinion. It matters (to me anyway).

I remember reading about this when it came out, and have been fascinated with the idea ever since. I had no idea that he did a DVD. Does it go into detail about the logistics of the whole setup? I'm amazed at the whole "one-man-band" concept.

Add to that that I've been intrigued by Metheny for years now but haven't really been able to warm up to his music too much thus far. It's weird, as everything about him screams that I should absolutely love the guy, but I think I just haven't found the right album that will just "click" it for me.

Anyway, I found this on YouTube:

And this only whet my appetite more - the music on this just sounds awesome.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Crap - can't seem to embed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VymAn8QJNQ
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oreb and FT: thanks for telling me my opinion actually does matter; maybe it does...now. But when I started writing my premise was that nobody knew me or cared who I was, and the music is what's first and foremost, when it came to writing a review. That's carried on into today. To start including personal opinion would, in fact, be tough....

But the truth is, my opinion IS in there, amongst other things, by virtue of my writing the review it's an endorsement, since I am not assigned music, and only write about music that moves me (since we're volunteers at aaj, I have that luxury). I think that my feelings about the recording are tacitly there, you've just gotta look for 'em because I don't come right out and say it.

But thanks for the endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I remember reading about this when it came out, and have been fascinated with the idea ever since. I had no idea that he did a DVD. Does it go into detail about the logistics of the whole setup? I'm amazed at the whole "one-man-band" concept..
    There's an interview and brief making of doc that help explain.

Saw this on tour, but don't have the recording. It was fascinating, partly because of the effect the instrumentation and performance logistics had upon Metheny's music: The nature of the Orchestrion meant that he had to rely much more on fixed, planned composition and much less on live interaction than he usually tends to; and this pushed him away from jazz and quite a ways into progressive rock territory.

Oreb and FT: thanks for telling me my opinion actually does matter; maybe it does...now. But when I started writing my premise was that nobody knew me or cared who I was, and the music is what's first and foremost, when it came to writing a review. That's carried on into today. To start including personal opinion would, in fact, be tough....

But the truth is, my opinion IS in there, amongst other things, by virtue of my writing the review it's an endorsement, since I am not assigned music, and only write about music that moves me (since we're volunteers at aaj, I have that luxury). I think that my feelings about the recording are tacitly there, you've just gotta look for 'em because I don't come right out and say it.

But thanks for the endorsement
    That actually explains a lot to me, I had assumed that you along with the other reviewers were assigned things to review. Knowing that you only review releases that interest you, adds to my understanding of your reviews. BTW I hadn't read the DVD review first, and obviously I should have

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Saw this on tour, but don't have the recording. It was fascinating, partly because of the effect the instrumentation and performance logistics had upon Metheny's music: The nature of the Orchestrion meant that he had to rely much more on fixed, planned composition and much less on live interaction than he usually tends to; and this pushed him away from jazz and quite a ways into progressive rock territory.
    Actually, Pat has begun using the Orchestrion in more free contexts, and you can hear some of that on the CD and/or DVD. It's not ALL pre0programmed; Pat is also triggering instruments in the Orchestrion, and looping them on the fly in real time. It's a misconception that this is all Pat playing against pre-planned tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    That actually explains a lot to me, I had assumed that you along with the other reviewers were assigned things to review. Knowing that you only review releases that interest you, adds to my understanding of your reviews. BTW I hadn't read the DVD review first, and obviously I should have
    AAJ is unusual that way, in that we don't assign; rather, folks self-source and write about what they want to write about. As for reading the DVD review first? Hey, ya can't keep up with all of it - but that is why I included a link. One of the benefits of writing for AAJ for closing in on a decade is that I've now a pretty substantial body of work - 1960 CD reviews and 412 other articles (interviews, DVD/Book/Live reviews, etc) - meaning that I can reference back to previous work in newer reviews. It's great, because I can try to avoid repeating myself, at least to some degree, but it also means I can write in a broader context, while still having a lot of other material to which I can reference directly. And that's a luxury neither print nor even a lot of web-based publications afford. And it's why I love and stay with AAJ.

Glad this has helped clear some things up for ya. Thanks for continuing to read my writing, it's truly appreciated.
    Best!
    John

I enjoyed the original Orchestrion CD, but absolutely loved the DVD. Can't help feeling a tad miffed that Pat didn't include CD's with that original package. There are so many multi CD/DVD sets these days I'm surprised a more complete box set wasn't suggested rather than needing to effectively spend money on the same music twice. Although I appreciate the developments with the running order.

Oh well, I'll enjoy it anyway

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    I enjoyed the original Orchestrion CD, but absolutely loved the DVD. Can't help feeling a tad miffed that Pat didn't include CD's with that original package. There are so many multi CD/DVD sets these days I'm surprised a more complete box set wasn't suggested rather than needing to effectively spend money on the same music twice. Although I appreciate the developments with the running order.

Oh well, I'll enjoy it anyway

Matt.
    Not Pat's decision, Matt. He has a contract with Eagle Rock for video, Nonesuch for audio, so there's no way he could have done an audio/video release. I am quite certain, given that Metheny is one of the few jazzers who still sells reasonable numbers, that neither Nonesuch nor Eagle would be prepared to give up their rights on their end of the deal.

But as my review ids, the sequencing of the music was altered significantly for the CD release of Orchestrion Project (plus sound is much better than original studio disc). Since I only had digital files to work with for the review, it was great to read the liner notes for the CD release, which arrived today, as it focused on the issue of resequencing also, as I did.

I think it's a real example of how the exact same performances (as is the case here) can become a totally different experience when you change the running order.

Anyway, hope this explanation appeases you a bit or, at least, is an explanation and clarifies that it wasn't an intended money grab, it's really a matter of contracts for different media.

Best!
    John

That makes a lot more sense, thanks John! In which, case all credit to Pat for adding an extra creative dimension to what could have been just a straight "soundtrack" release.

Matt.

Hear Pat Metheny talking about his Orchestion in the Echoes Podcast. http://wp.me/pgATL-HD

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I've watched and enjoyed the blu-ray for a while now, but I'm really looking forward to the CD. Silly as it might seem, I appreciate music most when it's divorced from visuals. Taking this as a general point rather than referring specifically the reviews in question, I respectfully disagree. To me as a reader, I'm always curious about the critic's personal opinion. I won't always (or even often) agree with it, but it is part of how I engage with the writing.
    I find that interesting , since this project by Metheny is SO MUCH about the visuals ad the physical aspect of him up there with these moving parts and machines

In Fact -- had you NO IDEA of how he did the record, listening to the audio only, you could be told it's Pat with other musicians and perhaps some sequenced parts. There are some "Jazz From Hell" moments that sound inhuman here and there but otherwise nothing about LISTENING to it highlights the most amazing and interesting part of what's going on besides the great compositions (which come first of course).

Not trying to convince you of anything, I just find that interesting.

Just ordered the CD and Blu Ray. I wasn't even aware of either release until yesterday (I usually know everything Metheny related, but a short hospitalization for the flu threw me into a twilight zone of sorts). Looking forward to hearing them both!
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh