Thread: Habitat Farine : Amma

Habitat Farine : Amma

Hi there ! This is Xavier, from Ghost Rhythms. I'm really proud to present you Amma: a requiem to the paleocontact hypothesis.

https://habitatfarine.bandcamp.com/a...act-hypothesis

This is the first record of a related Ghost Rhythms project, called Habitat Farine.
    The six pieces which I composed form a suite. This was inspired by the very amazing African tribe of the Dogons, with advanced astronomical knowledge and a rich cosmogony.
    I knew the Dogons via Philip K. Dick, who knew them thanks to Robert K. Temple's bestseller "The Sirus Mystery".
    The latter advanced the idea that the Dogons kept their knowledge of a contact with extraterrestrials, who came to visit the earth thousands of years ago. This is the theory of the "paleocontact", hence the title of the album: A requiem to the paleocontact hypothesis.
    It is indeed a requiem for this romantic idea of ​​an old contact with creatures of another world. An idea which makes you smile, perhaps, today, but have inspired and made dream (and think) many people on earth (including your fellow drummer in his younger years).
    This sequence of six pieces attempts to illustrate, above all, the feeling of "loss of the twin-ness" which, according to Marcel Griaule, characterizes Dogon's thought - and, of course, the whole work of Philip K. Dick, and much of Ghost Rhythms's music, also.
    I very much hope you will like it. Thank you a lot for reading those lines - and, moreover, for listening to the music !
    Xavier Gélard

I think that anyone who enjoyed Ghost Rhythms' extraordinary musical reflection of Vertigo will be intrigued by this work. Of course, in Vertigo, Carlotta Valdes is a lost twin of Madeleine, just as Madeleine is a lost twin of Judy.

We are familiar enough with music that pays hommage to predecessors, acknowledged or unacknowledged. Perhaps more intriguing is the possibility of music that is somehow haunted by lost "twins", or predecessors, which somehow come to haunt present works. How might the composer or the musician respond to the return of this lost music, of these absent precursors? - how might it be possible to hear the trace of what no longer resonates?

Where Xavier's music offers one answer to this through spiralling melodies & fracturing rhythms, the work of Burial & artists on the Ghost Box label allow surface noises (the pops & crackle of vinyl, the hints of voices from analogue radio tuning, echoes of found sounds) to become integral components of their music.

I think both groups are exploring what are, in effect, quite novel musical spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I think that anyone who enjoyed Ghost Rhythms' extraordinary musical reflection of Vertigo will be intrigued by this work. Of course, in Vertigo, Carlotta Valdes is a lost twin of Madeleine, just as Madeleine is a lost twin of Judy.

We are familiar enough with music that pays hommage to predecessors, acknowledged or unacknowledged. Perhaps more intriguing is the possibility of music that is somehow haunted by lost "twins", or predecessors, which somehow come to haunt present works. How might the composer or the musician respond to the return of this lost music, of these absent precursors? - how might it be possible to hear the trace of what no longer resonates?

Where Xavier's music offers one answer to this through spiralling melodies & fracturing rhythms, the work of Burial & artists on the Ghost Box label allow surface noises (the pops & crackle of vinyl, the hints of voices from analogue radio tuning, echoes of found sounds) to become integral components of their music.

I think both groups are exploring what are, in effect, quite novel musical spaces.
    What you say resonates a lot with what I tried to do. I am fascinated by the knowledge of this astronomical fact by the Dogons : they seem to know that Sirius has a twin, an invisible Twin, which we call Sirius B, and they call Po Tolo. This lost twin, that we never see, affects Sirius nevertheless ; and I think it reminds me of those twins which have an effect on people long after they're gone : I think of Elvis Jesse Garon, I think of Philip K. Dick's twin sister who died of malnutrition... They have that echo. I think perhaps what I did is less about the loss than about the echo.

Listen to Headphone Meditations 82, featuring Habitat Farine and Selcough ! Here you can hear the suite in its ensemble.

https://archive.org/details/HMEp.82

I made a note to check this out back in July, but it took me until now to hear it and buy it. I'm glad I made it eventually, because this is really a delightful release - clearly existing as part of the same musical constellation as Ghost Rhythms and Lady With, but carrying its own signature. As noted in per anporth's insightful post, it evokes a rather haunted, though not exactly hauntological, mood. And it's cool to hear Xavier playing some lovely almost Fahey-esque acoustic guitar as well as his usual beautifully articulated drums (and a bunch of other things too I think).

I’d urge anyone who likes Ghost Rhythms / Lady With to hear this.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I made a note to check this out back in July, but it took me until now to hear it and buy it. I'm glad I made it eventually, because this is really a delightful release - clearly existing as part of the same musical constellation as Ghost Rhythms and Lady With, but carrying its own signature. As noted in per anporth's insightful post, it evokes a rather haunted, though not exactly hauntological, mood. And it's cool to hear Xavier playing some lovely almost Fahey-esque acoustic guitar as well as his usual beautifully articulated drums (and a bunch of other things too I think).

I’d urge anyone who likes Ghost Rhythms / Lady With to hear this.
    That's a very sweet thing to say. I can say that the new Lady With will be a tough act to foolow, but I certainly hope to do another Habitat Farine in the future. Thanks for keeping up, it means so much for us !

Amma, from Habitat Farine - new track

I've just uploaded a new 20 minues track for Amma (a requiem for the Paleocontact hypothesis), from my personal project Habitat Farine.

Amma (a requiem for the Paleocontact hypothesis) was conceived as a "suite" of tracks seguing one to another (as Tubular Bells or DSOTM or Soft Machine Volume 2 or any good piece of music with seguing bits of music was conceived) but, as dumb as it seems, I only uploaded the isolated tracks and not the "whole picture", until now.

So here it is. If you already bought the album you can still downolad this "new" 20 minutes track without paying anything (ain't life beautiful). If you haven't, I hope this full suite will please you. Enjoy !

https://habitatfarine.bandcamp.com/

Regards from Paris

Xavier
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

Amma diggin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Amma diggin' it.
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"