Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steven Wilson: Expansive, new interview on Innerviews

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Great interview. As much as I find Wilson's recent works rather unengaging, I do like his philosophy to recording and music in general.

Lots and lots and lots of successful musical artists never learned to read/write music. I can see how it may be cumbersome for some session musicians who have to take a roundabout way of learning new material but then again, there's a reason why some great musicians are available for session work instead of being too busy touring original material of their own (if they have it and if its in demand). I liked what Wilson said about virtuosity not always equating to good ideas - virtuosity will always be beholding to ideas and not the other way around. I also like that Wilson emphasizes (again) the key role jazz played in early prog. Too many people equate Yes and other early acts to symphonic or classical styled music and it might be true in some cases, but my favorite acts had obvious jazz leanings.

My teacher is a top notch jazz and classical teacher--everyone from George Benson to Joe Diorio to Oscar Peterson have asked to study with him, over the years.

He hates technique for the wake of technique--only amateurs do that.

Here's the thing, though, about virtuoso classical guitarists. The point of the skill and technique is to be able to play the new and fantastic compositions and pieces the great composers are writing.

Great insightful interview with SW & Co. But after this read, my gut feeling is that Porcupine Tree is now sadly history. But who knows? Creative musical genius' such as Wilson sometimes tend to revisit their past glories after some time. Wilson seems to favor his new band as "the best musicians on the planet," but IMO ALL of the members of PT are superb musicians too, they just take a different approach to the music. In fact I personally prefer Gavin Harrison over Marco Minneman, although Marco is a great drummer in his own wright. That being said, I still love his new band, and the new album, and am looking forward to his show here in L.A. in May.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Steven goes out of the way to state that PT is not over in every interview. Why do people think otherwise?

Having said that, clearly his enthusiasm and energy is with his amazing band and his career high water-mark, which is this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Steven goes out of the way to state that PT is not over in every interview. Why do people think otherwise?

Having said that, clearly his enthusiasm and energy is with his amazing band and his career high water-mark, which is this album.
    The reason I said that was because he actually stated that "The Incident" was a bore. In my understanding, boring means dead. But you may be correct. He seems to highly admire Robert Fripp, who killed off King Crimson more than once, and brought it back to life. So I guess there's hope.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.