Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: PRE - s/t

FEATURED ALBUM: PRE - s/t

I stumbled on this album in my playlist the other day and recalled how I used to play this quite a bit 15-20 years ago. This fits squarely in the "AmeriProg" camp with a heavy Yes influence (and a bit Keith Emerson), but not really having any connection with other contemporary artists from the USA at the time. This wasn't released until the 90s by ZNR records. Any fans?

Review from ProgArchives:
    One could easily dismiss this as falling into the valleys of Yes a bit too often, but there is some damn strong material here.

Recorded in 1973 but never released until 1992, the album quickly works its way into soft, dark acoustic ballad territory with "Who's Laughing Now." This reminds a bit of Zeppelin's "Rain Song" but it is somewhat over the top and frankly might deter some listeners. There is something not quite fully evolved about the sound here and the vocal sounds a bit melodramatic and forced, but don't give up.

By the time we reach "Ascetic Eros" it is clear that this band could have been a real player on the 70s US prog scene. Tremendously effective vocal melodies are all over this one and while Collinsworth is certainly straight out of the Anderson school his delivery is confident and powerful.

Some of the arrangements on the album tend to be a bit on the "busy" side but I think it'll please most Yes fans who aren't uncomfortable with the obvious stylistic lifts which run fairly rampant throughout. From the Wakeman-like organ solos to Howe-inspired leads, this one is tied up pretty tightly with the sounds of Close To The Edge, but somehow it has a certain charm and I think it's down to the melodic content being strong enough to carry the weight of much of the material.

Sonically, what's disappointing is that the tapes were clearly run through what I'm sure would have been Sonic Solutions No-Noise at the time this was mastered for CD. You can hear the hiss gating in and out amidst the quieter sections and the life of the original tapes has been irreparably damaged as a result. Not sure what sort of EQ work was done but the recording often strikes as thin and a bit on the bright side. Shame that these recordings haven't seen a fresh transfer in recent years, as I suspect they could be made to sound better just by letting that hissy goodness of analog exist and eliminating the use of digital "no-noise" alone. But don't let any of this prevent you from tracking this one down. It's absolutely enjoyable and the sound is not a "deal- breaker" by any means. The music is fascinating and something about this band keeps them from being just another Yes clone. - Jeff Carney

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I didn't buy it at the time, which I now seriously regret. Google has yet to turn up a seller.

I've had this since it came out and like much of it. It's an odd combination of Yes/Genesis/ELP type stuff with some other stuff that leans toward Zeppelin, particularly acoustic Zeppelin. IIRC, the guitarist even does a Page-inspired bowed guitar piece. It makes for a somewhat uneven listening experience, especially as the album starts with a long, laid back acoustic song (which might have fit better later in the album). But most of it is pretty well done, particularly the full on Prog pieces. The singer is very good, evoking both Anderson and Plant, without exactly sounding like either.

It's really too bad these guys didn't do more, because they had tremendous talent and potential. They obviously needed to work on gaining their own voice, which I think they could and would have done with time, but I think even here Pre brings something to the Prog table, even with the blatant Yes influences. Haven't spun it in ages, I'll dig it out for a re-listen tonight.

Bill

I recall the catalog blurbs as having them related to Easter Island.

I enjoy Pre and play it a few times every year. Sad they didn't do more as a band. I agree that they needed to find their own identity because they really do sound like the sum of their influences. I don't find any weak elements in the band as far as chops and arrangements are concerned. Always loved the bowed guitar piece! It starts sounding Yes-like towards the end, especially with the organ parts.

I know a lot of people hate Pre.
    Those people are dumb.
    Great record.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't buy it at the time, which I now seriously regret. Google has yet to turn up a seller.
    I bought this album a year or so ago on Discogs from an Italian seller. It cost me an arm and a leg. There is one for sale right now for €39.95, which is much less than what I paid for my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I bought this album a year or so ago on Discogs from an Italian seller. It cost me an arm and a leg. There is one for sale right now for €39.95, which is much less than what I paid for my copy.
    Look at the condition though. Not up to standard.
    I generally, with few exceptions, pay more than $30 for a CD. Too easy to put out a reissue mastered from the same source.

Great disc. Played it quite often for the first few years, but only sporadically since. Time to take it out again. The vocal and guitar work showed real promise, and the songwriting chops could have grown to rise above their influences given the chance. Another, "what might have been" disc, but worth enjoying for the pleasures it reveals.

Great album, but I believe the pressing may suffer from 'bronzing' or CD rot. I have to check, but I think I made myself a CD-R back-up when I heard someone had issues with their copy (this being ten or fifteen years ago). The lead singer (something Collinson?) put out at least one solo album in the '90s. Steve Roberts at ZNR sent me a copy - don't remember much about it - not prog; just AOR rock with Anderson-like vocals. --Peter

Another one I’d file under “not Earth-shaking, but excellent at what it does.” Yes, it clings a little too close to the Yes influence, but they do a very good job with what they have. The guitarist used a bow to make violin/cello-like textures and if I recall, they didn’t even have any synths, just piano and organ. They had a very full sound with just the tools they could afford. It was an album bursting with potential, a pity it languished in obscurity so long and an even greater pity that the band never recorded anything more. Well worth the un-earthing.

Also a textbook case on how to make a “modern” prog album cover. Beautiful package this one came in!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I recall the catalog blurbs as having them related to Easter Island.
    They are so much better to my ears! (I was never impressed by the Easter Island disc.)
    Last edited by Progbear; 07-25-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Great album, but I believe the pressing may suffer from 'bronzing' or CD rot.
    I just checked my original ZNR pressing, no sign of either

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I believe the pressing may suffer from 'bronzing' or CD rot.
    I gave mine a fresh spin tonight, and looked at the CD. No sign of any problems, looks like the day it was pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Another one I’d file under “not Earth-shaking, but excellent at what it does.” Yes, it clings a little too close to the Yes influence, but they do a very good job with what they have. The guitarist used a bow to make violin/cello-like textures and if I recall, they didn’t even have any synths, just piano and organ. They had a very full sound with just the tools they could afford. It was an album bursting with potential, a pity it languished in obscurity so long and an even greater pity that the band never recorded anything more. Well worth the un-earthing.

Also a textbook case on how to make a “modern” prog album cover. Beautiful package this one came in!

They are so much better to my ears! (I was never impressed by the Easter Island disc.)
    After a fresh spin, I'd agree with all of this. There are some truly great moments on this album, but not everything is of the same quality. My favorite song overall is Ascetic Eros where they really catch a great groove in the first part, then stretch out a bit in the second part.

It is a fantastic CD cover, especially with the clear plastic insert with the name of the band and the box in gold. And I also have never cared for the Easter Island disc, in fact I don't even own it anymore. I like the Pre much better.

Good stuff, happy to hear Pre again after a long time.

Bill

I forgot I had this........somewhere!

Revisited this on a rather nice long drive this afternoon and my memory was confirmed in that I don't find it particularly "Yessish", nor particularly good - nowhere near as good as Mirthrandir or Cathedral
    Last edited by Chichen Itza; 07-28-2017 at 09:48 AM.

It's not the second coming but I like it well enough to want to add it to the collection at the right price. And like others have more eloquently stated, this band wears its influences on its sleeve. And that's Ok by me.

It's Ok.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Used to own the CD back at the times but traded it away as I didn't like the very bright sound restoration, very unusual for a 1973 album. Kept a CDR though, that I don't play that often. Musically it's a rather enjoyable affair with potential. And upon revisiting, I will agree with those that find it way better than Easter Island.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS