Thread: ProgDay 2017: FLOR DE LOTO Cancels, HEDERSLEBEN and EPHEMERAL SUN Confirm!

ProgDay 2017: FLOR DE LOTO Cancels, HEDERSLEBEN and EPHEMERAL SUN Confirm!

ProgDay 2017: FLOR DE LOTO Cancels, HEDERSLEBEN and EPHEMERAL SUN Confirm!

It is with great sadness and disappointment that we must announce that Flor de Loto has cancelled its performance at this year's ProgDay.

However, we have two more great bands to announce:

---------------------

HEDERSLEBEN (Multinational)

HEDERSLEBEN is a spacerock/psyche/krautrock band whose goal is to embrace the mindset and sound of early progressive rock/krautrock. Often compared to bands like Amon Duul II, Hawkwind and Gong, HEDERSLEBEN was hatched in the village of the same name on the outskirts of Quedlinburg, Germany. Beside the ancient stone cloister in the half-timbered Bauernhaus, British guitarist Nicky Garratt (an original member of the iconic punk band UK Subs) jammed with krautrock luminary Uve Mülrich, (Embryo), inspiring Garratt’s next project.

In 2012, Garratt became the musical director for Ex-Hawkwind’s Nik Turner. Garratt gathered musicians to collaborate and record Nik Turner’s Space Gypsy album. After a short incubation period, the prototype version of HEDERSLEBEN was born from those sessions.

After the success of Space Gypsy, Nicky Garratt took on the musical director position for the legendary Swiss band Brainticket. Working with original keyboard/flute/sitar player Joel Vandroogenbroeck, the songs were developed by HEDERSLEBEN in rehearsals in Oakland while Joel worked in Mexico. The result was Brainticket’s Past, Present and Future, the first Brainticket studio album in 15 years.

Upgoer, HEDERSLEBEN’s debut release, was recorded back-to-back with the Brainticket album, and released in 2013.

Since then HEDERSLEBEN has continued to release albums and evolve, ranging from a new take on classic krautrock to full-blown prog-rock concept albums. The band has toured the US multiple times, both opening for and backing Nik Turner, and their music has been used in feature films.

---------------------

EPHEMERAL SUN (US)

Started as a project featuring ex-Rain Fell Within members John Battema (keyboards) and Charles Gore (bass), EPHEMERAL SUN began life as a vocal band with an atmospheric and experimental approach to prog-metal. However, with the release of their second album, Harvest Aorta, the band abandoned vocals and found their musical identity in a special captivating brand of progressive rock combining influences from symphonic, metal, ambient, electronica and fusion, presented with a strong, almost cinematic vision. Having been compared to bands like Anekdoten, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and Finch, but really sounding like none of them, EPHEMERAL SUN has continued the pursuit of their unique sound. With the release of Lord Of Hounds, they follow the course charted by Harvest Aorta to a darker place.

---------------------

Join HEDERSLEBEN (Multinational), EPHEMERAL SUN (US), BUBBLEMATH (US), SHYLOCK (France), SONAR (Switzerland) with special guest DAVID TORN, and iNFiNiEN (US) for the twenty-third edition of ProgDay. ProgDay 2017 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 2nd and 3rd, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from all this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Two more bands to be announced.

Thanks!

Michael

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent news on Hedersleben & Ephemeral Sun
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really dig the new Ephemeral Sun. Time to check out some Hedersleben.

neil

Sorry to hear about Flor de Loto, but glad to hear about Hedersleben and Ephemeral Sun. Atta boy, John!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I already posted this in the ES album thread, but I'm pissed!!

My body has informed me that it can no longer easily handle travel, whether it is dealing with the TSA and other air-related inconvenience or driving a car farther than to the Chicago area. I missed Rosfest this year for the first time since 2007, and because I have grown to love the Progday vibe, Michael & Debi, and of course some other people (you know who you are) who are there every year that were usually not at Rosfest, I was going to wait until game-time to decide whether or not I felt I could handle the trip. Once I'm there, there are enough good friends to care for my damaged body and make sure I don't become a victim of my own frivolity. It's the getting there that's risen from chore to ordeal over the past couple of years.

As a brand new rabid Bubblemath fan, I was already starting to think of any ways to make it less so, and now with ES being announced (containing one of my aforementioned good friends), it's REALLY become a bummer thinking about not being able to make it.

If anyone has any suggestions, or who can, for example, have me as a passenger on a Chicago/Midwest area road trip both ways (sharing in gas & lodging enroute), or can figure out a way to coordinate air travel so I don't have to travel alone, I'd love to hear it.

"Live fast (I did), die young (I didn't) and leave a beautiful corpse (I won't)" does become exponentially more logical as one gets past 70.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Congrats to John and the ES gang! Should be a great festival, as always!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "Live fast (I did), die young (I didn't) and leave a beautiful corpse (I won't)" does become exponentially more logical as one gets past 70.
    sad laugh, Steve

big (but careful and oh-so-gentle) hug to you and your fragile, old bones.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I already posted this in the ES album thread, but I'm pissed!!

My body has informed me that it can no longer easily handle travel, whether it is dealing with the TSA and other air-related inconvenience or driving a car farther than to the Chicago area. I missed Rosfest this year for the first time since 2007, and because I have grown to love the Progday vibe, Michael & Debi, and of course some other people (you know who you are) who are there every year that were usually not at Rosfest, I was going to wait until game-time to decide whether or not I felt I could handle the trip. Once I'm there, there are enough good friends to care for my damaged body and make sure I don't become a victim of my own frivolity. It's the getting there that's risen from chore to ordeal over the past couple of years.

As a brand new rabid Bubblemath fan, I was already starting to think of any ways to make it less so, and now with ES being announced (containing one of my aforementioned good friends), it's REALLY become a bummer thinking about not being able to make it.

If anyone has any suggestions, or who can, for example, have me as a passenger on a Chicago/Midwest area road trip both ways (sharing in gas & lodging enroute), or can figure out a way to coordinate air travel so I don't have to travel alone, I'd love to hear it.

Geez! Steve, I wished I lived closer, as I'd love to have you as a passenger. I'm driving there and back this year, but sadly, Chicago is too big a detour from Toronto. I really hope you find a way to get there, but priority one, is to tend that speedo-clad frame of yours!

neil

Ephemeral Sun? I know those guys! Decent players, snappy dressers, but they sometimes chew with their mouths open and that's just WRONG
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Steve: The best I could do would be to pick you up in Detroit, but I would definitely be willing to do so.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Steve: The best I could do would be to pick you up in Detroit, but I would definitely be willing to do so.
    Thanks Tony! I may have a ride from Palatine, IL & am working on it. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks again, friend!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Steve: If it doesn't work out, I would be willing to make the drive to Chicago, but that's as far as I could go.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Tony: That's good to know. Thanks a lot. I'll keep you posted.

Bigg fatt congrats to brother Batt-mann! What a great honor to play PD

Found a ride and will see y'all there.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Woo woo, will be good to see you there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Found a ride and will see y'all there.
    Yes, Geez! And we will see you there!!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Bigg fatt congrats to brother Batt-mann! What a great honor to play PD
    Damn fine peeps, all of you
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com