Thread: Nik Turner v. Dave Brock Hawkwind Band Name dispute settled

Nik Turner v. Dave Brock Hawkwind Band Name dispute settled

Nik Turner, who has been touring as "Nik Turner's Hawkwind" has been trying to secure the name "Hawkwind" (at least in the USA) and the case was finally heard - Turner lost.

The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Blog sums up the case here:

The TTAB sustained this Section 2(d) opposition to Nik Turner's application to register the mark NIK TURNER'S HAWKWIND for "Entertainment services, namely, live musical performances by an individual or musical group." The Board found Opposer David Brock to be the owner and prior user of the mark HAWKWIND, and rejected Turner's claim that Brock had abandoned the mark. Brock v. Turner, Opposition No. 91214199 (June 28, 2017) [not precedential] (Opinion by Judge Ritchie).

HAWKWIND toured the United States on various occasions from 1974 to 2007. A tour was planned for 2013 but, after bookings were made, the tour was cancelled due to Brock's poor health. HAWKWIND has been selling recordings in this country since 1972, as Turner admitted.

Turner acknowledged that he was not a founder of HAWKWIND. He left the band in 1976, and then returned from 1982-1984. He also acknowledged that he never controlled the band or its name, stating that "I, like every other member of the 'classic' line-up, was forced out of the band by Dave Brock." Turner has played in several bands whose names included the term "HAWKWIND." In 1994, he played in the United States under the name NIK TURNER’S HAWKWIND.

Priority/Abandonment: The Board found that Brock "has controlled the nature and quality of the HAWKWIND mark for musical recordings and for entertainment services in the nature of live musical performances in the United States, having established a priority for musical recordings in the United States of 1972 and of live musical performances of 1974.

Turner contended that Brock abandoned the HAWKWIND mark for live musical performances because Turner and HAWKWIND have not toured in the United States since 2007. The Board, however, found that Brock did not intent to abandon the mark "because HAWKWIND has continued touring elsewhere and HAWKWIND was planning to tour in the United States at least as recently as 2013, taking substantial steps to do so, before the tour was cancelled for reasons related to Mr. Brock’s health." Musical recordings of HAWKWIND are still available in the U.S.

Therefore, the Board ruled, Brock did not abandon the mark, and he retained his establish priority date of 1974. Turner’s earliest priority date for NIK TURNER’S HAWKWIND was 1994. The Board concluded that Brock had established priority for purposes of likelihood of confusion.

The entire Brock v. Turner court doc is here and is some interesting reading: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/tta...199-OPP-60.pdf

Hawkwind seem happy with the outcome, per their statement:

RE Hawkwind trademark hearing....
    We are really happy to let everyone know, that a decision has finally been reached in the USA by the TTAB regarding HAWKWIND and Nicholas Turner.
    The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board found in Hawkwind's favour and has just issued an order which sustained our opposition.
    Nik Turner CANNOT use the name Hawkwind!
    Its been over three hard years, which has drained our energies and resources......We are so glad its over and the correct verdict has finally been reached.
    The members of Hawkwind would like to thank you all for your support in what has been a very stressful few years! Hopefully we can now put all this behind us and get on with other more creative and positive stuff!
    We will comment further when the news has finally sunk in.....But for now, we are off to celebrate! Please raise a glass, (or whatever), to the good ship Hawkwind!
    Long may she sail!!

Space Cadet
    Shame it had to come to this, but interesting to note that the reason given for the cancelled US tour a few years back in the above text was poor health on Brock's part...I don't recall exactly what the announced reason was at the time (something something bad promotion) but that sure wasn't it.

Sad. Both Brock & Turner are worth seeing.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    Shame it had to come to this, but interesting to note that the reason given for the cancelled US tour a few years back in the above text was poor health on Brock's part...I don't recall exactly what the announced reason was at the time (something something bad promotion) but that sure wasn't it.
    Brock's Hawkwind had cancelled North American shows in 2013 and in 2014. In 2013, the band announced it was Turner's fault ("Doctors have confirmed that [Brock's] condition is stress related, aggravated by the trademark dispute in the United States which could result in years of litigation. After much discussion about possible ways forward, the members of the band have reluctantly decided that it is necessary to reschedule the dates to March 2014, rather than putting Dave’s health at unnecessary risk.") In 2014, the band again mentioned Brock's health but made quite a long statement about how it was a monetary issue (" Together with the promoters of the five shows, which we hoped to reschedule, we have tried everything, but it has become a logistical nightmare...the U.K. banks are not prepared to loan us in excess of $40,000 with only $15,000 guaranteed into an escrow account, which would only become payable after the first concert.")

Now, with the case over, hopefully Brock's stress will be reduced and they will find a way to financially make it worthwhile to tour in North America again.

I saw Hawkwind in 1973 and was planning to see them again in 2013, some 40 years later and was horribly disappointed when the tour was canceled.

Perhaps now, Mr. Brock can reschedule(????)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I saw Hawkwind in 1973 and was planning to see them again in 2013, some 40 years later and was horribly disappointed when the tour was canceled.

Perhaps now, Mr. Brock can reschedule(????)

Better for you. You would be extremely disappointed if you catch them with their current line up (with Dibbs as a vocalist). They play their worst gigs I've ever witnessed (and I've been constantly seeing them since the early 80s); sometimes they even cannot pull-off more than a 65-70 mins show... Their ability to decently gig has been gradually declining since the departure of Alan Davey and their latest (2016 tour was a snoozefest). For me the band is done (creatively and operationally).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I quite enjoyed them at Hawkeaster a few years ago; astonishing concert, but I wouldn't compare it 1973 - or 1983 or 1993 for that matter. But Brock is getting up their in age, and once again, the lineup is shuffling...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Now, with the case over, hopefully Brock's stress will be reduced and they will find a way to financially make it worthwhile to tour in North America again.
    Ah that's right, I forgot about the double-cancellation. Got my hopes up twice. I only remembered the "money" issue which from what I heard was due to them asking for totally unrealistic guarantees. And yea that "stress" excuse was just lame. I don't have a horse in the race between Turner/Brock, other than loving HW and wishing it could work out for everyone. But I'll give credit to Turner for being able to tour consistently without hiding behind BS excuses.
    Last edited by Toka; 07-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Note - the TTAB only decides the "registrability" of the Hawkwind mark with the USPTO. The TTAB does not have authority to enjoin Nik's "use" of the mark in the U.S. That jurisdiction resides with the Federal Courts. So, unless Nik executed a Settlement Agreement to cease use of the mark or Brock gets a Federal Court judge to issue an injunction (after filing a trademark infringement complaint, litigating the case and getting to a judgment), there is nothing egally preventing Nik from continuing as he was doing. But for all practical purposes, if you lose at the TTAB, most (but not all) parties would migrate to a non-infringing alternative.

Note #2 - Turner can Appeal the TTAB decision to the DC Federal Court. So, the saga may continue to the edge of time.

As it says in the Hawkwind book, "Two old men fighting over money."

Nik Turner should start a band with Martin Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Nik Turner should start a band with Martin Turner.
    Maybe they could get Ted Turner to play guitar, too! They could call the band (Insert name of drummer) Turner Overdrive. Oh wait, a minute, that won't work either...

I think the thing you have to realize is, though Dave has been the sole original band member leading the band since the mid 70's, I kinda have the feeling that a lot of this aggro he's dealing with, vis-a-viz Nik, has to do with his own paranoia/megalomania. Dave was the one who sacked all the other band members (even go so far as to admitting to firing Nik in the liner notes of Quark Strangeness & Charm). I have the impression that, particular with regards to Nik, Dave felt Nik's songwriting and lead vocal contributions were a "threat" to Dave's authority within the band. Maybe if Dave had a more cool head about such things, and had been more inclined to keep a stable lineup, he might not be dealing with such matters now.

But I never knew Nik wasn't a founding member. So who were the founding members of the band, besides Dave, presumably?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    According to wikipedia Nik was a founding member with Mick Slattery, Dik Mik, Terry Ollis and John Harrison
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    According to wikipedia Nik was a founding member with Mick Slattery, Dik Mik, Terry Ollis and John Harrison
    And you believe everything Wiki says?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    And you believe everything Wiki says?
    That's why I caveated it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.