Thread: Glenn Hughes tours "Classic Deep Purple Live" show

Glenn Hughes tours "Classic Deep Purple Live" show

Hughes is now embracing his Deep Purple era with "Classic Deep Purple Live": https://www.classicdeeppurplelive.com/ According to his site, "Glenn Hughes' Classic Deep Purple shows are destined to write a new page in rock history."

He is touring with Jeff Kollman on guitar (who I believe is also a member of John Payne's Asia), Lachy Doley on keys and Pontus Engborg on drums. Only Australia/New Zealand dates so far.

I saw him a year or so ago and he did at least a track or two from all of his Deep Purple albums. This would be a cool show to see, although I think a lot of his solo and BCC stuff is just as good.

Kind of reminds me of when Rod Evans toured with a bunch of L.A. Musicians in 1978, calling themselves Deep Purple. Most of what they performed was Mark II material.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

If he does Mark III/IV material, fine- he was part of it. Not sure about the claim that he 'walked away' from Deep Purple...its founding members would probably argue it walked away from him (and Bolin)!

I liked Coverdale as a singer more than Hughes (although it's a fact that the latter's voice is in better shape now). Coverdale's stage patter was/is cringeworthy, but I think Hughes has a tendency to showboat, and that's worse.

As for Stormbringer, that was the first DP album I heard. I can't tell you how disappointed I was (mercifully the second was In Rock!). I do really like the title track, 'The Gypsy' and 'Soldier Of Fortune'- all with Coverdale to the fore, and pretty much all three look to Blackmore's subsequent Rainbow work. The rest still does nothing much for me...stuff like 'Hold On' and 'You Can't Do It Right' is third rate IMHO.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.

What happened to the Black Country Communion reunion?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    What happened to the Black Country Communion reunion?
    New album is coming, but from what I have seen I don't think they will be touring due to Bonamassa's schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    If he does Mark III/IV material, fine- he was part of it. Not sure about the claim that he 'walked away' from Deep Purple...its founding members would probably argue it walked away from him (and Bolin)!
    In the final DP performance, Glenn stunk up the joint. He apologized to the audience that "we" sound so bad, to which Jon and Ian said, "Who's this we?" At the end of the night, David marched in and announced to Jon and Ian that he was quitting the band. Jon and Ian said, "There is no band to quit!"

For Jon's full account, watch the Gettin' Tighter documentary.

Not a Deep Purple era I'm interested in. I'd love to see Jeff Kollman live in almost any situation, though.
    I believe there is currently a very active band called Deep Purple playing their classic material, or am I missing something?

Wouldn't you rather hear Glenn over-singing all the classics?

^^ I was quite surprised how much I liked Come Taste The Band, after the overly funky Strombringer. Given Bolin's solo material, I was expecting CTTB to be even funkier than SB.

When the 1984 DP reunion was in the discussion phase, Jon suggested his current boss at the time, Coverdale, front the band. Ritchie declared he'd only participate if Gillan was the front-man.
    Last edited by progmatist; 07-20-2017 at 03:52 PM.

I sure hope he'll get a singer who knows how to properly reproduce those fantastic vocal achievements of Coverdale's on Last Concert in Japan - and I hope he keeps ol' dale's immaculate improvisations in "Highway Star" about that girlfriend with big-big knockers. Why concentrate on new, fresh and actually vital music when events like this are to be had. The golden future of rock. For certain. Big-big knockers!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^ 1) Coverdale's hot girlfriend straddling a Jaguar didn't come until "the success of '87," when Whitesnake became a hair metal band.

2) The sad fact is, general audiences don't want to hear new material. They only want to relive the past.

^ I know, man - I know. That's one of the reasons why I'm rejoycing nowadays.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ection-corpse/
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I liked Coverdale as a singer more than Hughes (although it's a fact that the latter's voice is in better shape now). Coverdale's stage patter was/is cringeworthy, but I think Hughes has a tendency to showboat, and that's worse.

As for Stormbringer, that was the first DP album I heard. I can't tell you how disappointed I was (mercifully the second was In Rock!). I do really like the title track, 'The Gypsy' and 'Soldier Of Fortune'- all with Coverdale to the fore, and pretty much all three look to Blackmore's subsequent Rainbow work. The rest still does nothing much for me...stuff like 'Hold On' and 'You Can't Do It Right' is third rate IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I sure hope he'll get a singer who knows how to properly reproduce those fantastic vocal achievements of Coverdale's on Last Concert in Japan - and I hope he keeps ol' dale's immaculate improvisations in "Highway Star" about that girlfriend with big-big knockers. Why concentrate on new, fresh and actually vital music when events like this are to be had. The golden future of rock. For certain. Big-big knockers!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Holy Man is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Holy Man is not bad.
    I heard that by that point Blackers was in full-on pissed-off mode. He turned up at the studio, ripped out the solo, packed up and left.

Hmmm...

Seems a bit heavy on the Deep Purple and light on the Glenn Hughes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Glenn is bringing this to the UK:

"I'm excited to be touring the Classic Deep Purple Live in the UK this October. I first toured Classic Deep Purple Live in Australia and New Zealand last year and it went down like a storm. We're also touring the show throughout South America in April, and festivals throughout the summer. By the time we tour the UK in October, we' ll be on fire."

Tuesday 2nd October: Bristol, Academy
    Wednesday 3rd October: Leamington, Assembly
    Friday 5th October: Southampton, Engine Rooms
    Saturday 6th October: Cardiff, Tramshed
    Tuesday 9th October: Leeds, University Union
    Wednesday 10th October: Newcastle, O2 Academy
    Friday 12th October: Glasgow, ABC
    Saturday 13th October: Manchester, Academy 2
    Monday 15th October: London, Koko

This is Glenn and band doing "You Keep On Moving" from their Australia tour: